Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Navarro or Smith.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
the latest on that rumours site is that Kieron Dyer is in talks with the club about joining us, was a good player 5 years ago and out of our league, now not sure that he is a viable option.

has averaged something like 7 games a year and earnings of £80k a week so I think you are right :)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Please dont shoot me it is only the rumour site and everybody knows what that means and how accurate it is. Clubs wanted him on loan but he refused to go and stayed to pick up his wages at WHU each month.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That is what makes football a great sport and great entertainment we all have opinions. IMHO we shouldn't entertain him as I do not think he is anywhere near good enough.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I hope Navarro can prove his fitness because we need a back-up for Bridcutt and a fit Navarro is one ready-made, and free. Our entire style of play relies on someone playing this role competently so if we lost Bridcutt for any reason it could be bad.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Seriously?
I'd say he absolutely DOES complete moves. He makes things happen and should be given a chance.

So do I.. BG must've been watching a different game, although I agree with him that Navs was excellent in the first half... incidentally BG, as stated above, Smith already has a contract...

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I hope Navarro can prove his fitness because we need a back-up for Bridcutt and a fit Navarro is one ready-made, and free. Our entire style of play relies on someone playing this role competently so if we lost Bridcutt for any reason it could be bad.

Excellent post. Bridcutt and Navs do the same job. To have someone as talented as Navarro on the bench means we are doing very well indeed.

As for Smith he looks a little lightweight to me, same with JFC. the only reasonable players we had come through our youth setup thus far have been physically much bigger.

I seem to remember everyone rating McPhee and Marney not so long ago so I'll watch their development with much interest but not a huge amount of expectation.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Wrong Smith! That's James Smith who was in the Youth team/development team and not Jamie Smith

True, that link is to the wrong one, but Jamie Smith did get a six month contract, much like Bridcutt had when he came in. He has until January to prove his worth. As far as I'm concerned he is a very versatile player - can play wide right whipping in crosses, wide left cutting inside, box-to-box like Sparrow or in behind the front two like Bennett. Would be an excellent squad player as cover for multiple roles, saves us 500k+ we'd have to spend on someone similar, and don't forget, is only 21(?), plenty of time to nail down a place if he applies himself like Bridcutt did.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I must admit I didnt think that he had a contract and was told by Gus that he could come back for pre-season tr,aining, just like Navarro and try for a contract but I could be wrong.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
brightonrock is right - it's only Nav who is effectively a triallist while Smith has until January to earn a deal.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Having read the link provided by Brighton rock I stand corrected thank you for the info. Just MHO hope it is not extended unless he can do something very positive. If he is our hope for the attacking midfield role then I dont hold much hope for a successful season again, but only time will tell but obviously Gus sees something in him. Possibly why he is our manager and I am posting on here, like many others.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Wrong Smith! That's James Smith who was in the Youth team/development team and not Jamie Smith

Read the article again. In the first paragraph it states that James Smith (who is the one that came up through the youth system) has been released. In the final paragraph, it confirms that midfielder Jamie Smith (the guy who came from Palace, and the player #BensGrandad was talking about) has been awarded a 6-month contract.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I am not sure Poyet will look any further than Navarro,if he can prove his fitness,in fact i think we might find that he reclaims his position in the starting line up,that he only lost due to the injury.IMO more of the budget should be invested in the back four.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I like both. Smith excites me when he plays and Nav more often than not runs the show. As others have stated above though, they're completely different types of player so it's not really an either or is it.

VeronaSeagull

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Read the article again. In the first paragraph it states that James Smith (who is the one that came up through the youth system) has been released. In the final paragraph, it confirms that midfielder Jamie Smith (the guy who came from Palace, and the player #BensGrandad was talking about) has been awarded a 6-month contract.

Apologies didn't explain properly! Meant that James Smith from youth team was released and this was Jamie Smith

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here