Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

National Insurance...

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
HI, sorry about the non-football thread especially with all tehre is to talk about. I'm just in need of some advice...

I have been working on a part-time temporary contract at a well known high street retailer, I am under 18 (im 16), I have never been charged National Insurance before but I have this month, My last pay check was well above all my others, but I didn't think I paid any kind of tax at this age...?

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
There is no such thing as a minimum age for tax, everybody pays it if they earn above the annual allowance. Even a new-born baby would pay tax if its parents put enough savings in its name that it earned more interest than the annual allowance.

Having said that, if you've still not earned more than the allowance (since April 2008, the start of the tax year), then you shouldn't be paying anything - collect all your payslips from all your jobs since then and add up your wages :thumbsup:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Once you earn over a certain amount in a week/month you have to pay NI contributions. Did you do more hours over the Xmas period ? If you only work 16 hours or less a week at just above the minimum wage you wouldn't have NI deducted. DWP give you 3 years of NI credits between 16 -19 anyhow so there is no need to worry about making up contributions to get a qualifying year if you dont pay NI normally.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Welcome to the economy, SeagullEd. As a taxpayer, you now own several banks. Please look after them carefully.

Yep all down to Tony and Gordon, we'll keep the red flag flying high

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I put it down to 160 years of proletarian struggle to take over the commanding heights of the economy. I can't believe that Tony and Gordon have achieved this all on their own.

History says they did as they were on the watch and you can't polish a turd.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Welcome to the economy, SeagullEd. As a taxpayer, you now own several banks. Please look after them carefully.
I can remember the good old days , back then the only bank you owned was when you played Monopoly and were the banker.

There is no such thing as a minimum age for tax, everybody pays it if they earn above the annual allowance.:

Not sure if you are including NI as a tax; of course it is ,(there being no upper limit) although successive govts deny this and won't include it in this country's basic rate of income tax figure (which is over 30%).
NI is not payable on any amount if you are under 16 on pay-day. If he has just hit 16 since his previous payday, this will be the reason

Alfred the greatx

Cake anyone, bit overdone
Jun 15, 2008
HI, sorry about the non-football thread especially with all tehre is to talk about. I'm just in need of some advice...

I have been working on a part-time temporary contract at a well known high street retailer, I am under 18 (im 16), I have never been charged National Insurance before but I have this month, My last pay check was well above all my others, but I didn't think I paid any kind of tax at this age...?

No taxation without representation!
Your not old enough to vote but your old enough to pay taxes.
Thats wrong, if 16 year olds are paying tax, they shoud be given the right to vote.

No taxation without representation!
Your not old enough to vote but your old enough to pay taxes.
Thats wrong, if 16 year olds are paying tax, they shoud be given the right to vote.

I agree with you, but at what age would you put the limit? I'm sure the prominent child actors in soaps are paying tax, and I think Charlotte Church paid a small fortune in tax before she was 16.

Alfred the greatx

Cake anyone, bit overdone
Jun 15, 2008
I agree with you, but at what age would you put the limit? I'm sure the prominent child actors in soaps are paying tax, and I think Charlotte Church paid a small fortune in tax before she was 16.

Not sure so i guess all income for people below the voting age should go to the father and be taxed accordingly. He can then manage the family finances in the fair and equitable way only a man can. :p:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here