Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nathan Barley

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It was much better than I thought it would be. I thought that Morris had been too late with it and should have hit the screen about five years ago... but I was wrong.

I like the way that it has been broadened out to cover additional characters. And NB is still a rich, upper-class twit - how else does he afford all that equipment?

The best bit about it is that, working in Clerkenwell, I see loads of these people. Yesterday, I kept muttering "idiot" to myself every time that I saw one.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Nothing races out of the blocks in TV comedy. It takes time. It's rare that you wet yourself at a character the first time you meet them (unless they slip on a dog-shit or summink).
I didn't laugh uproariously, but i didn't expect to. It's a slow-burner, and just going to get better.

Finally got around to watching it on tape last night. I enjoyed it, although I suspect that a lot of it passed me by because I have had the fortune not to have mixed in 'Shoreditch Twat' types. Still, good for a laugh - and whoever said above that the interview was up there with anything in The Office was spot on.

Anyway, it immediately inspired me to then watch two episodes of Brass Eye (Drugs & Paedophile Special) and the first episode of Jam - so I spent the rest of the evening laughing myself silly (especially at 'Cake Music').

I think most of us agree then that it's missed the boat a little. I worked in Shoreditch 5 years ago, a time when everyone went to work on a minuture silver scooter, with a Mac laptop over their shoulder and their job title was like "chief scientist" of some god awful culture web-site, and they setup webcasts of their "insane" road trips to the Burning Man Festival etc etc

But I think the Dan Ashcroft character (the best part of the show) is based on Charlie Brooker himself. What I loved about the original TVgoHome C*nt strip was that you can tell that the hatred he feels for Barley and his type froths over into self loathing because he basically is one of them (ie a young trendy working in the media, with loads of gadgets).

Still, it's better than Joey on C5 isn't it. :lolol:

Voroshilov said:
I thought it was alright. Reminded me of the NSP crew.

Now I thought that but wasn't brave enough to say it :lolol:

I've watched it back three times and it gets better every time, the attention to detail is extraordinary. If Richie gets around to watching it again, look at whose portrait on the wall oversees the interview :clap2:

The destruction of Ashcroft in the interview is one of the most painful things I've ever watched. Particularly if you've had an interview somewhat similar to that over the past year :blush: :lolol:

Glass of Dutch wine?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Voroshilov said:
I thought it was alright. Reminded me of the NSP crew.

I agree with both comments. It was quite amusing and hopefully will get better or it will become a one trick poney.

Safeways clique/ The rise of the idiots. Couldn't stop thinking about it all the way through NB.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Thoroughly enjoyed watching NB.

Chris Morris' ear for psedo-techno-babble has always been good (as illustrated by the stings in Brass Eye), and you can guarantee that the "idiots" will be using the very jargon, that is being used to satirise them, in their own everyday speech before long.

Last edited:

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
Perhaps you need more of a life if you couldn't stop thinking about Safeway, NSC and NSP.

Indeed it is quite sad if you can't do things in life without thinking about people on an internet message board.

:whatageek:

Safeway said:
Flattery will get you everywhere. :blush:

......it has to be said that the smart-arse, condescending, patronising, ageing twat Ashcroft has to go back on his hands and knees to grovel to the Idiots at the end of episode one.

So maybe the Idiots are the real heroes of Nathan Barley :thumbsup:

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I thought it was very good and, as ever with Morris, streets ahead of any other comedies about at the moment.

Unfortunately, with everything Morris does people seems to feel the need to have in-depth discussions about the satire and "what he's trying to say", or whether he's getting some supposed point across. This is fine but it completely ignores the fact that part of his real genius is merely creating really stupid, funny sounding words. "Coincimental" for example.

Eh, mi' Niggah, keep it FOO-LISH.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here