Nathan Barley

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Chris Morris returns with C4 sitcom

John Plunkett
Wednesday December 8, 2004

It is three years since Chris Morris last scandalised certain quarters of the media with a satire on newspapers, particularly the News of the World's treatment of paedophiles.

Now Morris, who is arguably author of some of Britain's darkest comedy, is set to hit the screens again with a satire on the style-obsessed "Hoxton" culture and the London media scene.

The six-part Channel 4 sitcom, Nathan Barley, is set in the fictional district of Hosegate and features the titular Barley, a webmaster, guerrilla film-maker and "self-facilitating media node".

Other characters include Dan Ashcroft, a columnist for Sugar Ape style magazine, whose editor, Jonatton Yeah?, added the "?" by deed poll, and his sister Claire Ashcroft, a film-maker who is "furious that no one will fund her hard-hitting documentary about a choir of reformed junkies".

Barley has a "huge authentically cool record collection bought on eBay from a provider of huge authentically cool record collections, countless dolls including a suicide bomber Barbie and an mp3 jukebox featuring nothing but digitised versions of compilation tapes recorded by US college kids of the 80s."

As well as taking aim at style magazines such as iD and now defunct the Face, Nathan Barley also pokes fun at celebrity magazine Heat, Sunday supplements such as the Mail on Sunday magazine (satirised as Weekend on Sunday and featuring an unlikely cover story on Tom Paulin), and trendy style music channels.

Fictional Channel 7 is home to "rad chick VJ Dajve Bikinus" who presents a weekly music show "Snoopy Beats" and its commissioning editor Ivan Plapp, voted "best commissioning newcomer" in 2002.

Nathan Barley will begin on Channel 4 in February next year, and is written by Morris and Guardian TV critic Charlie Brooker, who created the Barley character for his TVGoHome satirical website.

It stars Noel Fielding and Julian Barratt, the Perrier-award winning pair behind the Mighty Boosh, who starred in their own series on BBC3 and BBC2, and regular Morris collaborate Kevin Eldon, who appeared in Jam and Brass Eye. It also stars Nina Sosanya, who appeared in Channel 4's Teachers, and Nicholas Burns and Ben Whishaw.

After The Day Today, Brass Eye, Jam and his one-off News of the World-inspired special on paedophiles, Nathan Barley may be Morris's most conventional work to date.

However, no preview tapes are available and the famously secretive Morris is keeping details of the show close to his chest. "Nathan, Dan and Claire work in the industrial conversions of Hosegate," explains the sparse press material.

"Claire no longer listens to Dan - which is a shame since he'd be the best person to warn her about Nathan. Claire is right about Dan; Dan is right about Nathan; Nathan is just wrong. He's an absolute f***ing tool.

"Nathan is convinced he is the epitome of urban cool and therefore secretly terrified he might not be, which is why he reads Sugar Ape magazine - his bible of cool."

The show's advance publicity also features clothing chain bumphuk, a "must browse for Harmony Korine, Chloe Sevigny, Julian Casablancas and Sally Gunnell"; gastropub Regime, where your food is chosen for you by "assessing your electrolytes on a sensor at your table" and the "beer is served in gourds"; and the Chimney Exchange bar, a "mecca for would-be trespassing renegades unable to discern that no one gives a flying f*** whether they're there or not".

Morris received a Bafta last year for his first short film, My Wrongs 8245-8249 and 117, starring Paddy Considine. He was also nominated for a Bafta for his Brass Eye special about paedophilia, which became the second most complained about programme in the Independent Television Commission's history with 992 complaints. His last TV series, Jam, was broadcast in 2000.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Is that Nathan Barley from the TVGoHome website ?

Sorry just seen that - gonna be funny........

Last edited:

So just watched it on E4, what do people think then?

Obviously a satire on the media like all Morris's stuff - but perhaps the first signs that he's showing his age, getting annoyed by all the young Soho trendies?

Nathan Barley doesn't seem that interesting, but Dan Ashcroft is, too good for the youthful postmodernist trash media, but not good enough for the nationals :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

That interview was as good as anything in The Office.

They're all easy targets though, but the Sugar Ape idiots are brilliant creations.

"The new logo. Good reactions, etc?"

Holds up a sign saying RAPE with Suge in tiny letters within the R.

"I rate it!"

"Yeah, because it will piss people off, yeah, as they'll think they're getting pissed off by RAPE."

"'Cept it's not RAPE, it's Ape"

"Yeah, so they'll be getting pissed off by Ape."

:drink: :drink: :drink:

Richie Morris said:
I hate myself for saying it but at first viewing I thought it was a bit crap.

Where has the genius of Chris Morris gone?

Over your head?

Do you fancy a game of cockmuffbumhole, Richie?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not as funny as the original website, but the media world has moved on since then and so the "twats" are a little more difficult to portray I think - I think a lot of them have been found out.

Also wasn't Nathan Barley supposed to be an upper class twit on the website ? They seemed to have turned him into Jamie Oliver (perhaps that intentional)

I work on the fringes of the television industry and I used to come across people like that all the time, but less and less now.

Skateboard to work - you know the type....

What still gets my back up is if anybody refers to a peice of artwork as an "installation", or refers to a gallery as a "good space".

I think the time when website development companies used to stick the word "industries" at the end of their name has passed - but quite well observed.

Anyway - this programme would have been funnier (with the same script) 10 years ago.

I actually found it very funny, but my girlfriend didn't. I had to explain that I had actually met people like that, but a few years ago. More accountants these days and they don't make for good comedy.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I worked at a place where an editor would insist he was refered to by his nickname "magic".

I was once refused exit from a studio until the pissed up has-been C list presenter (who was standing in front of the door) had finished his mobile phone call.

Those were the days, but people tend to be sacked today for such behaivour.

I agree Clapham, it's totally different to the Tvgohome strip - and thank god, otherwise Morris would be repeating himself (and the original was not much more than one joke repeated over and over again, albeit a very funny one).

Barley now seems not only a totally different character but an incidental one at that. You might be right, or wrong, that the satire is dated, not sure about that, we'll see, but it's moved beyond that Attachments-style world to the style magazine set and its links with Fleet Street. So it has broadened in that respect, as I think has its targets, not just the dabbling upper class twit but that entire cast of characters from the desperate London media underworld, the angry documentary maker, the jaded trendspotter, the Daily Mail section editor wanker playing a guitar as he interviews :lolol:

It's the Ashcroft character that seems most interesting, partcularly as he is being used by Chris Morris to attack a whole wave of dumb postmodernist humour, the type of people like this: "Saw an old video of guy called Freddie Starr *gives Nazi salute* - sort of, like, the original Bill Hicks". :lolol:

It's Morris at his most dry and understated, that's for sure. But cheer up, next week it might call Nathan Barley a ####.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I was in a lift last month, posh girl entered turned to identikit bloke with two haircuts (post modern mullet twinned with a hoxton quiff) and said..

"hey, have you seen the graphics they are sooooooooo lo-fi"

I sometimes hate working in London, unfortunately these people seem to be moving to Brighton.

If I get one more email forwarded to everyone about their mate dj who has organised a gig in some converted warehouse in Dalston..........piss off the lot of you.

oooohh, get you and your "ironic" Iron Maiden" T-Shirt...

Che Guevara badges ? - now that's funny...

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here