Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Napoli interested in Billy Gilmour **Sold 30/08/24**

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
I'm really sad to see him go (as a person) and will always hold dear memories of his time here. But I'm excited to see what come next.
With the players we have, if all are fit, I just can't see a scenario where he would be in the starting 11.
I honestly think that WBG deserves to be more than a second choice or squad, player.
I wish him well at Napoli

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I’m absolutely f***ing gutted about this. Honestly do not understand this move in the slightest. Gutted.
I think the only way to understand it is that a player, who's a good guy, wanted to go to a massive club. And we agreed not to get in his way. It's the right thing really. We don't necessarily hold all the cards in these moves and I'd bet the 'internal discussions' FH spoke about in the press conference were not just about resource management and cover, and contract and price. But also asking him if he wanted to go.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I think the only way to understand it is that a player, who's a good guy, wanted to go to a massive club. And we agreed not to get in his way. It's the right thing really. We don't necessarily hold all the cards in these moves and I'd bet the 'internal discussions' FH spoke about in the press conference were not just about resource management and cover, and contract and price. But also asking him if he wanted to go.

All fair points but I don’t want to be rational right now. There’s something about have a likeable player in the squad and enjoying seeing them develop. Losing WBG feels gutting right now.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I go out on limbs. A lot of times I get it right - not good enough on Excel to know how often - and sometimes I don't.

I've spent dumb time trying to figure out how the club functions around transfers and what kind of qualities that are desired etc. but I'm no feckin Tony Bloom you know? And I have no idea what the Sussexian milkmen are whispering. I can only go by what seems logical.

I get some transfers wrong every window, which imho happens easily, but I also get a lot of them right, which is not so easy.
Which would be absolutely fine if you didn’t poo-poo different opinions, especially from those who might know from being local. I don’t think you’ve ever appreciated how ITK works for a local.

Examples: living on the same street as a player, being mates with a player or a relative or good friend of a player, knowing a player through local teams such a non-league, seeing a player on the lash on West Street.

I know people who know players personally, I just don’t ask them for gossip because I imagine that would be quite annoying. However; a couple know I’m an Albion fan and tell me things, some I can share, most I don’t.

It’s like you’ve learned nothing in your years here about the club and community. Yet you make these pronouncements like your logic and information is infallible, without having a clue what Brighton and Sussex generally is like.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
People keep including Gruda as a CM option. He's not. He's never played a senior game in centre midfield. He's an attacker, winger or attacking midfielder like Enciso, Sarmiento or Buonanotte.
Someone seemed to mention he 'might'suit centre mid once and he then got included ever since.

If that's how this sort of thing works, I'd just like to say, it might suit everyone on this board to BACS me 100 quid every month. Just putting it out there.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
All fair points but I don’t want to be rational right now. There’s something about have a likeable player in the squad and enjoying seeing them develop. Losing WBG feels gutting right now.
I agree with you. He's liderally my favourite player and we always play better with him in the team. Regardless of facking assist stats. Which are for teenagers and Americans.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Rutter has said he can play as an 8.

And Gruda mentioned playing as an 8 when he signed for the club.

Unfortunately whilst these young footballers believe they can play these positions, people on NSC have looked at their Wikipedia and can categorically confirm that this will NEVER happen.

You’d think fans of a team that used to play Adam Virgo upfront and Gary Hart at Rightback would be able to wrap their head around an attacking midfielder playing 10 yards further back but alas we’re not quite there yet.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Rutter has said he can play as an 8.
He said in his first interview that Hurzeler had spoken to him about playing a different position. He also said that he was pleased to join a big club. :ROFLMAO:

However, watching his clips, he looks very impressive playing with his back to goal, so I'd expect him to be used further forward.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
If Barcelona could play without strikers o_O maybe we can play without a midfield :eek: genuinely tongue in cheek , even more genuinely worried .

Jul 20, 2003
Still not sure if this was us selling a cracking player to a big club or selling someone for a few quid because we have someone better.

It's quite simple. New manager doesn't really fancy the player. Player doesn't like that because player wants to play. Ex-manager wants player and can offer all sorts of goodies. Agreement reached between two clubs.
What's so difficult to get?

“New manager” picked “player” for a very tough first home match of the season. When there were plenty of other midfield options in the squad like Baleba, Ayari or Hinsh. If he doesn’t fancy “player”, what the hell does he think of those other guys? 🤣

Sorry this is not clear at all “to get”. The more plausible explanation is Gilmour moved heaven and earth to make it happen and we let it happen when we probably should have delayed it a few months to January to see if our other options are shaping up

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
People keep including Gruda as a CM option. He's not. He's never played a senior game in centre midfield. He's an attacker, winger or attacking midfielder like Enciso, Sarmiento or Buonanotte.
He mentions himself he can play as an 8. In fact, he said it in his first ever interview.

From 2:00

“I don’t care if I play on the right winger, number ten or number eight, I just want to play”

So I suspect the reason people keep saying he’s a CM is because the player himself says he can play there.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
It’s here

And we weren’t the only ones interested in Gruda (a potential World Cup player) - Bayern Munich were interested and Bayer Leverkusen. Mainz were asking an exorbitant asking fee of up to €50m until Hürzeler stepped in and convinced Gruda to join Brighton for a smaller fee.

And here

(Read the analytics piece on Rutter on the Albion website)

£65 million for the pair of them.

Hürzeler likes midfielders that can score goals and service strikers. Something even the most ardent of WBG fans admit the wee Scottish lad was lacking a talent for.
The player has no say in the fee. Mainz decided the fee.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I go out on limbs. A lot of times I get it right - not good enough on Excel to know how often - and sometimes I don't.

I've spent dumb time trying to figure out how the club functions around transfers and what kind of qualities that are desired etc. but I'm no feckin Tony Bloom you know? And I have no idea what the Sussexian milkmen are whispering. I can only go by what seems logical.

I get some transfers wrong every window, which imho happens easily, but I also get a lot of them right, which is not so easy.
FWIW, I've never understood all the excitement around WBG. He's got good close control and he's a tidy passer but that's about it. I haven't seen any evidence of great passing vision, dynamic running, ballwinning or goalscoring. I wish him all the best at Napoli but hope Conte moves on before he breaks him.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I'm wondering who the 'Sussexian Milkmen' are.
Have we singed a pair of local pint-sized midfielders who can deliver?

Eees complicated. They're interbred with my illuminati lizards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here