Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Napoli interested in Billy Gilmour **Sold 30/08/24**

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
It just seems mental that we’d be trying to force him out. Why? I get he might not be in FH ideal squad plans but he’s hardly a terrible player and with injuries we still need him, that and we truly don’t know how the incoming players will play.

There’s nothing that indicates he’s troublesome behind the scenes, the opposite is true if anything. Anytime I have heard Tony, Barbar and RDZ last year, speak about him, it was always with a tone of affection and saying how good he is off the pitch.

The whole thing is mad.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I do not like what Bozza is saying and I know he’s not much of a WBG fan but I doubt he’s claiming to be ITK and categorically stating that the club don’t want to keep him because of his opinion about WBG.

I now expect him to be gone by midnight tonight :down:
Who? Bozza? Gawd, that could cause a few probs.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It just seems mental that we’d be trying to force him out. Why?
We’re not. It takes two to tango.

FH would have met with every player once he was appointed. He would have told WBG that he wouldn’t be our first choice midfielder because he wants a slightly different profile (Wieffer).

WBG’s agent has probably been on the phone to Napoli everyday since.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Coming from the most amazing man who ever lived
We’re not. It takes two to tango.

FH would have met with every player once he was appointed. He would have told WBG that he wouldn’t be our first choice midfielder because he wants a slightly different profile (Wieffer).

WBG’s agent has probably been on the phone to Napoli everyday since.
this must be true (y)

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
It just seems mental that we’d be trying to force him out. Why? I get he might not be in FH ideal squad plans but he’s hardly a terrible player and with injuries we still need him, that and we truly don’t know how the incoming players will play.

There’s nothing that indicates he’s troublesome behind the scenes, the opposite is true if anything. Anytime I have heard Tony, Barbar and RDZ last year, speak about him, it was always with a tone of affection and saying how good he is off the pitch.

The whole thing is mad.

We're clearly not forcing him out; he started last weekend!

We haven't made him part of a 'bomb squad' like Chelsea have with their unwanted players.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
That's not quite the case.

I think it's probably fair to say I don't rate him as highly as you, certainly, but that's not to say I don't rate him at all.

He did a great job last season stepping into the massive void left by Caiecedo and Mac Allister - probably the finest midfield duo the club has ever had.

However, if we do entertain genuine ambitions to reach Europe again, I do feel we need more in our central midfield than Billy Gilmour currently offers. I wouldn't look to offload him though - I think he'd be a fine squad player. Of course, I expect Gilmour wants more than that.

Whilst not believing that BG is a £50m+ player, I would have put his value somewhat higher than we seem to be selling at.

And I am genuinely surprised that no Premier League clubs have been mentioned as having an interest in him.

As others have said - there's a whole lot of weirdness around this likely-looking transfer.

Now getting DMs saying your "I know the club wants to sell Gilmour" isn't what they've heard...

I think you are correct about Billy prefering to be a starter for Napoli rather than maybe not starting for Brighton. Any footballer would make that choice.

But I've seen absolutely nothing that suggests that Billy couldn't be a starter in this team. The role he had against United and Wieffer had against Everton are key to the entire tactics, and Billy was on a whole different level against United than Wieffer was against Everton. Billy also has a lot of Premier League experience which we're certainly not flooded with in midfield. Its a safe card; others aren't.

Baffled if this is something the club wanted, rather than tolerated.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
We're clearly not forcing him out; he started last weekend!

We haven't made him part of a 'bomb squad' like Chelsea have with their unwanted players.

Tbh that’s what I thought as well, especially given playing on Sat but some of the comments on this thread suggest otherwise.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
A real shame. ☹️
It would be nice to retain top Scottish representation at the Albion. Especially someone so talented as BG.
Of all the reasons to keep WBG, retaining top Scottish representation wasn't on my list.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A real shame. ☹️
It would be nice to retain top Scottish representation at the Albion. Especially someone so talented as BG.
I think you may have nailed it. Scottish! We can cope with Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, whatever - but not Scotch! Besides, Scottish = monkey tennis, so sell off cheap.
Birmingham City have been splashing the cash - twice smashing the League 1 transfer record by paying over £2M for a player, plus a couple more for over £1M (including our former youngster Alex Cochrane). They even had a <£10m bid for a Fulham youngster they had on loan last season turned down today. Meanwhile, their fans are wondering how they mugged Brighton off for Marc Leonard for only £500K. They've even got a thread about it!
Marc Leonard is also Scottish..................
It's probably a good job that Jensen Weir converted to English at U17 level, otherwise we'd probably be paying Wigan a small fortune to take him off our hands!
:wink: :lolol:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Of all the reasons to keep WBG, retaining top Scottish representation wasn't on my list.
I think you may have nailed it. Scottish!
More so from a a somewhat silly and selfish (proud Scot) perspective. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

1725042522200.png

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

The whole thing is mad.
Zero chance he plays against Man U if he is being ‘forced out‘. None.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here