Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Napoli interested in Billy Gilmour **Sold 30/08/24**

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024
All things considered, I don’t mind Gilmour going, especially to a club like Napoli. But it’s the suggested fee that irks me and many others here. £12-15m is too low. £23-28m seems about right.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
“if Wee Billy was 5'10" and scored 8 goals a season and was South American he would probably be worth £50m+.”

Sorry but this really made me chuckle…..😊

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
All things considered, I don’t mind Gilmour going, especially to a club like Napoli. But it’s the suggested fee that irks me and many others here. £12-15m is too low. £23-28m seems about right.
the problem here is that PL clubs expect to buy players at local prices and then sell them to the same leagues at PL prices.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Is it? In what way? Tell me what Gilmour did that was so much better than Milner? I would recommend watching the game again and looking at the stats cos I think you’ll find that as tends to happen on here because he looks busy, Gilmour’s performance and influence has been over hyped.

I know some are not interested in stats but as a point of interest, Who Scored had them level rated, Sofa Score had Milner ahead of Gilmour.
A baffling take. They played in totally different midfield positions.

Gilmour was one of the best, if not the best, players on the pitch yesterday. Milner in contrast was in no man’s land for most of the game and had one of the worst first halves I’ve seen by an Albion player in a long time, repeatedly leaving Gilmour exposed on his own against 2-3 Utd players. He offered little in terms of passing options out, misplaced a bigger % of passes, despite most of them not being penetrative, and barely engaged in the midfield battle defensively. And then he proceeded to miss two glorious chances at the start of the second half on the back of others’ work.

The step up in performance once Milner went off for Baleba was stark.

Now, I do put part of Milner’s struggle down to the tactical demands placed on him, but irrespective of that, it was night and day between the two in terms of quality yesterday.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
So. It’s Jonathan Pearce v Romano.
Whilst we all dislike Romano, he is normally very good on these things even if he’s a bit trigger happy. I’d be almost certain that Jonathon Pearce’s source on Gilmour is better than any of Romano’s seeing as he was in the ground and around the Albion hierarchy yesterday…

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Whilst we all dislike Romano, he is normally very good on these things even if he’s a bit trigger happy. I’d be almost certain that Jonathon Pearce’s source on Gilmour is better than any of Romano’s seeing as he was in the ground and around the Albion hierarchy yesterday…

All along with this, I’ve been fine with Gilmour leaving. But after yesterday’s performance I’m now greedy and want to keep them all.

My guess on the true background, based on PB’s “He’s not being frozen out”, is that Napoli approached Gilmour/his agent and he asked to listen to what they have to offer.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
A baffling take. They played in totally different midfield positions.

Gilmour was one of the best, if not the best, players on the pitch yesterday. Milner in contrast was in no man’s land for most of the game and had one of the worst first halves I’ve seen by an Albion player in a long time, repeatedly leaving Gilmour exposed on his own against 2-3 Utd players. He offered little in terms of passing options out, misplaced a bigger % of passes, despite most of them not being penetrative, and barely engaged in the midfield battle defensively. And then he proceeded to miss two glorious chances at the start of the second half on the back of others’ work.

The step up in performance once Milner went off for Baleba was stark.

Now, I do put part of Milner’s struggle down to the tactical demands placed on him, but irrespective of that, it was night and day between the two in terms of quality yesterday.
What are you on about? Milner was superb.

Yes, Gilmour was deservedly man of the match but they were both superb as a midfield two yesterday. They dominated Casemiro and Mount in the first half. Milner covered acres in a far more forward role than you’d have expected and did it superbly.

Carlos came on and had a great game but also delivered the right performance for the context. We were under the cosh and needed a bit more strength at the base of the midfield than Gilmour could give. Gilmour pushed up into Milner’s position for the rest of the game.

I don’t know how you could watch yesterday’s game and not be pleased with the performance of any Brighton player…

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
If Billy doesn't go, expect Romano to tweet that he's heard from his sources that the deal was called off at the last minute
Backtracking a bit already. .....

verbal agreement is done and medical is being planned (Monday), the green light’s up to Napoli if they want to proceed with formal steps etc. ;) we see soon!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Precisely. Pearce's source will have a close connection to the club. Romano's will be an agent somewhere. As much a facilitator as a journalist.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
All along with this, I’ve been fine with Gilmour leaving. But after yesterday’s performance I’m now greedy and want to keep them all.

My guess on the true background, based on PB’s “He’s not being frozen out”, is that Napoli approached Gilmour/his agent and he asked to listen to what they have to offer.
Sounds reasonable.

It seems it is very much Billy's decision and the albion would be very happy if he choses to stay.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
I hope Jonathan Pearce is proved correct. Billy had a good game yesterday and played with utmost professionalism if he is leaving, a class act.

We are very light at CM/CDM.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here