Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Napoli interested in Billy Gilmour **Sold 30/08/24**

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Gross and Gilmour following Caicedo and Macca out of the door, that’s three and a bit huge players gone, I do worry we will be found wanting in that department.
YEah, keep swapping so many in that central area is not ideal.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
1 assist a season suggests otherwise
There's a pass before the assist as well. Billys starting position in our build up play was usually just outside our own box, 10 meters from Dunk & Van Hecke. Why do people expect a bunch of assists from our deepest lying midfielder when its never going to be the case?

Caicedo, playing in the same position, made 1 assist and 0 goals in 23/24 and was sold for £115m.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
These players don't play in the same role and also not in the same league....

The worst part of the comparison however is that Billy Gilmour is playing in the best league in the world while Diego Gomez has been playing in the 25th or so best. Assuming he is better than Billy is like assuming you're better than Lewis Hamilton because you bet your buddy at Mario Kart.

:ROFLMAO:

I'd guess that for any defensive playmaker in our team

I've seen you make a few 'we' / 'our' posts recently, so I guess you consider yourself a Brighton fan now. How long would you consider that you've been a Brighton fan? (that's a genuine question)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That we are entertaining offers for Billy and bidding for Gomez suggests that the club don't feel the same concerns over a disparity in the quality of the leagues that you do.

You're being silly. Gomez is being bought as a prospect. If he had the stats he does, but was already playing in the PL, he wouldn't be £12m.

My initial point remains, if we were bidding to sign one of Gilmour or Gomez, I'd far rather we signed Gomez.
But that's not the comparison. Billy is already here, fits in well, has a good attitude, and could be a very useful squad player.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Ayari looked fantastic yesterday (quality of opposition, pre season game, yadda yadda) and I have high hopes for him. Was pulling the strings and looked ready for the Prem squad to me, based on that performance.
Very interesting.

I’ve got a feeling he could very well make the 1st team squad. He does a bit of everything

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
You're not seriously suggesting we don't improve on Billy if we get the chance?
Not that the question was directed to me but I don't think another midfielder is coming in (bar Gomez, who seems to arrive in January) if Gilmour leaves. The squad is obscenely big as it is.
I've seen you make a few 'we' / 'our' posts recently, so I guess you consider yourself a Brighton fan now. How long would you consider that you've been a Brighton fan? (that's a genuine question)
Partially because it is more practical with "us" and "our" rather than writing around it all the time - "the club", "Brighton & Hove Albion" etc. We're all following the Albion, so "we/our" is about right when it comes to this subject - regardless of level of fandom.

But yes I would consider myself a fan. Couldn't be sure when Potter was still around, couldn't be sure when things were as successful as in 23/24. Last season was the first one where I spent months thinking "why can't I stop hoping that this useless piece of shit team could pick up a couple of points? Why do I have to watch this absolute nothing week out week in?", and things started to become clear...

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Ayari looked fantastic yesterday (quality of opposition, pre season game, yadda yadda) and I have high hopes for him. Was pulling the strings and looked ready for the Prem squad to me, based on that performance.
I hope he does well but hardly set the world alight at either Blackburn or Coventry so would expect to go out on loan again for more minutes.

Yalcouye on the other hand looked very promising, good engine, could have a diamond there.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Are we really that light in midfield without Gross/Gilmore?

CD/DM - Weiffer/Baleba
CM - Weiffer/Baleba/Milner/Gomez/Yalcouye/Hinshelwood/(Ayari?)
AM - (Gruda?)/Enciso/Pedro/Gomez/Facundo/Sarmiento

It depends on how those players perform in the PL. the main worry is that barring Baleba, none of them have played any significant time here at all. We actually have no idea how good or bad they’ll be.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I hope he does well but hardly set the world alight at either Blackburn or Coventry so would expect to go out on loan again for more minutes.

Yalcouye on the other hand looked very promising, good engine, could have a diamond there.
None of our outfield loanees, apart from Leonard and, to an extent, Sarmiento on his second loan, set the world alight! So, best to judge them on their performances for Brighton in pre-season. Yes, it was pre-season, against not particularly good opposition, but Ayari looked pretty good, very sharp in his passing and movement. Weir looked comfortable at CB too - missed the first half so can't comment on Moran, but suspect that Blackburn fans wouldn't recognise some of the comments made on NSC about his performance!

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
There's a pass before the assist as well. Billys starting position in our build up play was usually just outside our own box, 10 meters from Dunk & Van Hecke. Why do people expect a bunch of assists from our deepest lying midfielder when its never going to be the case?

Caicedo, playing in the same position, made 1 assist and 0 goals in 23/24 and was sold for £115m.
I was going to give you a sensible answer, but what's the point when you compare Gilmour to Caicedo?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
None of our outfield loanees, apart from Leonard and, to an extent, Sarmiento on his second loan, set the world alight! So, best to judge them on their performances for Brighton in pre-season. Yes, it was pre-season, against not particularly good opposition, but Ayari looked pretty good, very sharp in his passing and movement. Weir looked comfortable at CB too - missed the first half so can't comment on Moran, but suspect that Blackburn fans wouldn't recognise some of the comments made on NSC about his performance!
100% agree with you on this.

What they did on loan doesn't matter. They start from scratch now and all have the chance to play their way in.

I looked at Atari, (just what my mind sees when I read him name) and saw a player I thought was a cert to be shipped out look like a proper PL midfielder. He's given the club a decision to make and that's all he could have done.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I was going to give you a sensible answer, but what's the point when you compare Gilmour to Caicedo?
They played in the same position. A position usually held by players that doesn't score a lot.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I suppose it's only a comparison in the sense that it's probably not worth looking at goal stats for defensive midfielders. It's like defenders, they might get one, but that's a bonus. They are in the team, to cover spaces, win challenges, move the ball quickly and accurately and find a forward pass. Those are the criteria on which Gilmour will be judged, not goals

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
I'm going to assume it was because people have been giving Gilmour a value based on his goal and assist output. Which if you did that alone to every player then some other players value (such as Caicedo) would be a lot lower. Hans Solo will correct me if I'm wrong.

Gilmour's role has not been to score, or even assist on a regular basis, but to allow those in the team with that job to flourish and provide them with the ball.

12/15 mil is such a low price. 25 minimum is personally what I think he's worth based on ability, age and contract.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Last season was the first one where I spent months thinking "why can't I stop hoping that this useless piece of shit team could pick up a couple of points? Why do I have to watch this absolute nothing week out week in?", and things started to become clear...
You’d never have made it through the late 90s if you though our team was a useless piece of shit last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here