Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Napoli interested in Billy Gilmour **Sold 30/08/24**

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think there's a halfway house, which is where I reside...

He's a good squad player, and I'd gladly keep him for that, but I think a club with our aspirations needs more from a starting central midfielder.

As I said on page 1, suggestions he's a £50-60m player are just fanciful, but I'm slightly surprised that he doesn't seem to be in the £20m range. However, it's also interesting that there doesn't seem to be any bottom-half Premier League clubs beating down our door for him at the mooted valuation.
This is where I am with him. And if we are going to sell him below that £20m valuation that you and I agree he is probably worth, then it's probably only ever going to be outside the EPL. And with that in mind, this is a good move for WBG I reckon.

Freddo

May 14, 2006
Clapham
Yes, but he could have run down his contract and gone for nothing. Instead he signed a new deal in return for us agreeing to his terms. Win-win.
I don’t want to derail the thread but we would have had a 1 year option going into the summer he was sold, so no he wouldn’t have gone for nothing.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
The NSC hivemind is a strange thing, we've seen it many times on many threads. Maybe it's just something inherent on social media.

At the start of the thread we were all outraged by the small fee being proposed for a PL experienced, well-performing, if physically limited player.

A few posters post to the effect of "get rid, I'll drive him there myself!" And now everyone seems to be fine with a fee between 15-20m?

For me, still think we shouldn't be selling him for less than 30m. Think how much it will cost to upgrade him.

But it's not my money.

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
The NSC hivemind is a strange thing, we've seen it many times on many threads. Maybe it's just something inherent on social media.

At the start of the thread we were all outraged by the small fee being proposed for a PL experienced, well-performing, if physically limited player.

A few posters post to the effect of "get rid, I'll drive him there myself!" And now everyone seems to be fine with a fee between 15-20m?

For me, still think we shouldn't be selling him for less than 30m. Think how much it will cost to upgrade him.

But it's not my money.
Plus, when they are ours they are 'brilliant', and when they are sold they 'weren't much kop anyway'

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
£12m according to widely circulated media reports is around the price we’re looking at, that’s not NSC.

And definitely arguable he was one of our best players, to me he was a weak link. The club are clearly not too concerned about losing him either.

It was a regular contradiction on here last season that it was said one of the main reasons we weren’t as good as the season before was that our central midfield was nowhere near as good and yet Gilmour and Gross, our central midfield, were regularly praised as being our best players. And whilst for the first two thirds of the season, Gross deserved that, Gilmour’s contribution was always hugely over praised just because he looks a bit busy on the pitch but his output is actually poor. He’s a distinctly average player.

I will miss Gross as he has been a wonderful player for us but his form deserted him at the end of the season, he’s now 33 and deserves his chance with Dortmund. I’m happy for both him and Gilmour to go. Our centre midfield was a real problem for us last season, Gilmour was a major part of that problem, we needed to make changes and we clearly are.

Really looking forward to seeing our revamped, upgraded and more physical central midfield next season.
WBG was regularly praised by pundits and RDZ so average he was not. Our season went down the toilet when we lost our wide men to injury’s. That basically put all the pressure on to our midfielders and so it was an up hill battle, not helped by RdZ unwillingness to change style.
For the record Pascal Gross has for me has been our best player since he joined and is truly an Albion Legend.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
If we're upgrading and someone else definitely better is coming in then maybe we sell, and if we do i'd be very disappointed with £12m. But with the current selection of centre mids we have he is very much needed, sometimes as a bench/rotation option, but certainly needed a lot over the season.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
WBG was regularly praised by pundits and RDZ so average he was not. Our season went down the toilet when we lost our wide men to injury’s. That basically put all the pressure on to our midfielders and so it was an up hill battle, not helped by RdZ unwillingness to change style.
For the record Pascal Gross has for me has been our best player since he joined and is truly an Albion Legend.
RDZ spoke a hell of a lot of shit last season so yeah that would make sense.

So why do you think the club are willing to let him go for this ‘lower’ price then if he was that good and important? We’re hardly desperate for the money.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022

So why do you think the club are willing to let him go for this ‘lower’ price then if he was that good and important? We’re hardly desperate for the money.

Barbar said they don’t want to let him go but maybe like Gross, Mac Allister etc they are happy to let players move on to the next step in their careers. Napoli is hardly a downwards move is it?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

I refer the you to post #430.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Barbar said they don’t want to let him go but maybe like Gross, Mac Allister etc they are happy to let players move on to the next step in their careers. Napoli is hardly a downwards move is it?

Less than 100 words on the matter. Barber clearly doesn’t give a toss about Gilmour.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

But it's not my money.
Indeed. I'm sticking to the £50m, or at least £40m with a bag of clauses. He's one of the youngest established central midfielders in the league (yes, he is established as he has been starting a lot of seasons both the last season and in the final months of the season before that). And the league isn't Eredivisie or MLS, but Premier League.

£12m according to widely circulated media reports is around the price we’re looking at, that’s not NSC.

And definitely arguable he was one of our best players, to me he was a weak link. The club are clearly not too concerned about losing him either.

The idea that he would cost £12m comes from a mix of media talk and peoples desire to sell Billy. There's little indicating it has a basis in reality.
Which is btw also the case with your last sentence. We're always going to get as much as we can. Be it fighting for another million or two from Borussia Dortmund or keeping Locadia at the club in his final year rather than terminating the contract, because there's a MINIMAL chance someone will pay the last 6 months of his wages... thats how this club works, and needs to work. The idea that Tony Bloom and Paul Barber is going to sell players for lower than market value is a fantasy based on your desire to sell Billy - there's nothing backing up the idea that the club will turn into some low price market just to get rid of players because some fans think they're "too småål" or "cant shoot!!!".

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

We would only be selling him if Fabian had told the club that he doesn't intend to start him/use him in the new system

£12m for him means a profit and i'm personally fine with it. He's too weak physically IMO

Yep, that's how i see it.

No way the fee would be £12m if FH wanted to keep.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here