Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Napoli interested in Billy Gilmour **Sold 30/08/24**

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I just don't get this one at all.

Last week's Man of the match sold for a knock down price whilst our new midfielder goes under the surgeons knife.

This is the sort of decision Palace make.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Similar angst here.

When picking up Mrs Bozza on her way home from work I'll ask where she wants me to meet her. Often the response would be BGR, short for Billy Gilmour's Road.

What the hell are we going to refer to it as now?
LRR?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I just don't get this one at all.

Last week's Man of the match sold for a knock down price whilst our new midfielder goes under the surgeons knife.

This is the sort of decision Palace make.
You’ve spelled Van Hecke incorrectly 😉.

He was very good against Man U though. Almost like a last attempt to keep his place here, rather than the performance of someone who wanted away,

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
This move has been in the works for a while, this suggests that all parties were ok with it from the off. So I am not upset about it, the fee does seem low but if Bloom is ok with it so am I, I trust the club.

I like Billy, he’s a good player, but for me not a game changer; which I think is also the view of the club hence accommodation of this move. Napoli represents a great opportunity for Billy and the appeal is obvious, I can see why he would have wanted this deal to go through.

Given that he was likely to be sold his performance against United was even more commendable and a testament to his professionalism. I wish him all the best at Napoli. I also look at the evolution of our midfield under Hürzeler into something we have not seen before, especially when all of our players are available. Here’s hoping Baleba finally gets his chance.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Does make me wonder who the back up to Wieffer’s position is now. Presumably Baleba, but that does make it all the more odd that Gilmour was picked there ahead of him against Man U. The club clearly have a lot of faith in Wieffer being a bit of a star.

I think @Hugo Rune is probably correct and we will see a bit of an evolution in the shape of the team after the international break.
It’s odd as I don’t see Baleba back up to anyone. From what he’s showing pre season and this season he’s the powerhouse of our midfield and if we have any chance against Arsenal today he needs to start

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
That's very sad if that's the case he is being pushed out against his will. Do you mean his parents said he was surplus to requirements or do you just mean that must be the case if the transfer goes through?

I still can't understand why you would start a player in a match and risk injury if you were desperate to sell them?
They never mentioned he was surplus to requirements, it’s apparent that’s the case with young Fabian.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Thanks Wee Billy and good luck in Naples.

He always seemed a decent lad - one of those that you need as social glue in a squad (he seemed to love Buzz's Bootroom Bingo for example).
He always seemed to give 100% on the pitch too. He will be missed.

For what it's worth, I don't think he actively wanted away, BUT... once he was told that he wouldn't be an automatic starter (or, more likely that he will very much be a back-up option as he doesn't quite fit the new system), he said he'd rather move than be a bench-warmer.
I reckon FH would happily have kept him around as a very reliable option when needed (see starting XI vs Man U), but also acknowledged that because of WBG's desire to play every week, it would be best for all parties to move him on if he got an opportunity he wanted (ideally not in the EPL so we don't help a rival).
Napoli comes up, WBG likes the look of it for a number of reasons, so the club doesn't stand in his way. I'd be surprised if there isn't a hefty sell-on, given the relatively low up-front fee.

So I don't think it's a case of either WBG actively wanting out, or the club just wanting to get rid. It's just that his proposed lesser role in the squad didn't work for him and the club didn't want to keep him at all costs just for a back-up role, so they let him go with their blessing...

A very dull 'somewhere in the middle of the conjecture' explanation, but the result of grown-up conversations between a player and the club that anyone who's been paying attention would expect.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They'll be dancing in the streets of Sinclair Scottish Pub tonight

Screenshot_20240831_073334_Chrome.jpg

8e78837de6a413b6edd955e65ddbce2b-1725052506-768x433.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks Wee Billy and good luck in Naples.

He always seemed a decent lad - one of those that you need as social glue in a squad (he seemed to love Buzz's Bootroom Bingo for example).
He always seemed to give 100% on the pitch too. He will be missed.

For what it's worth, I don't think he actively wanted away, BUT... once he was told that he wouldn't be an automatic starter (or, more likely that he will very much be a back-up option as he doesn't quite fit the new system), he said he'd rather move than be a bench-warmer.
I reckon FH would happily have kept him around as a very reliable option when needed (see starting XI vs Man U), but also acknowledged that because of WBG's desire to play every week, it would be best for all parties to move him on if he got an opportunity he wanted (ideally not in the EPL so we don't help a rival).
Napoli comes up, WBG likes the look of it for a number of reasons, so the club doesn't stand in his way. I'd be surprised if there isn't a hefty sell-on, given the relatively low up-front fee.

So I don't think it's a case of either WBG actively wanting out, or the club just wanting to get rid. It's just that his proposed lesser role in the squad didn't work for him and the club didn't want to keep him at all costs just for a back-up role, so they let him go with their blessing...

A very dull 'somewhere in the middle of the conjecture' explanation, but the result of grown-up conversations between a player and the club that anyone who's been paying attention would expect.
That’s my guess too. Entirely in line with how the club operates hence easily the most likely explanation, but too dull for those looking for a big issue where there probably isn’t one. As for the price, given there’s not a single rumour of another club trying to hijack the deal it can’t be far off market value :shrug:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Brentford forum gave me a "Deliverance" vibe. I could even hear the slight noise of a banjo if I listened closely. Even the Admin told me via PM "we don't like strangers". No word of a lie.
Funny thing about that they picked up about 12,000 ‘strangers’ when they moved to their new Legoland ground.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I trust the club 100% Bloom and Barber all the way, oh hold on why are they selling WBG when the new midfielder is injured not happy with this. ‘This isn’t something Palace would do’ was the best one 🤣

Simple facts the club replaced WBG no new contract option for him, they wanted a newer more shiny midfield.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
You’ve spelled Van Hecke incorrectly 😉.

He was very good against Man U though. Almost like a last attempt to keep his place here, rather than the performance of someone who wanted away,
Thought JP had a great game but played them on once too often. I digress.

So much change in the middle. Mwepu, retired with Ali Mac, Caciedo and Gross all gone. Letting WBG go at a knock down seems a bit of a risk especially with the crocking from Tuesday.

Appreciate Grandad played well last week but I suspect it will really hit home when the lines up come out today and we see who is matching up Rice, Party and Odegaard.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Given Baleba came on and activated beast mode last week, I don’t have too many concerns. He looks ready, give him the minutes. Gilmour was great for us but, ultimately, his return in an attacking sense was very poor and I would expect our new midfield to be able to better it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here