Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Napoli interested in Billy Gilmour **Sold 30/08/24**

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
It's quite simple. New manager doesn't really fancy the player. Player doesn't like that because player wants to play. Ex-manager wants player and can offer all sorts of goodies. Agreement reached between two clubs.
What's so difficult to get?

I guess what I don’t get is telling one of our better players (and he is that, he proved how good he is in many matches) that before he’s even played for the new manager that he doesn’t fit into his plans.

If we are trying to build a squad, you have to keep multiple players in your squad happy and to make them feel like they’ll have a chance to play. I don’t see how he couldn’t find a way to keep someone in the squad who is a very good player, and to fit him into the first team rotations regardless of who else we buy. Now we have lost someone at a cut price that I feel like we should have been able to use.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Shame to see Gilmour go but don’t think his skillset is irreplaceable. Seems cheap though for a player with proven ability. Hope Conte is better for his career than he was for Bissouma’s.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Well thats it then.

Annoyed. We finally have a tactic that fits Billy, his creativity and passing more than "give the ball to Mitoma" did. Finally a tactic and style where he would have been a badass drummer rather than the maladjusted kid playing the triangle. And we only got one game of it.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
So he’s off if Romano is correct.

Not sure how we’ll replace 0 goals, 3 assists, 17% shooting accuracy, 55% tackles won and 33% crossing accuracy but I guess TB’s data does.

I guess those stats reflect what happens when you run around like a headless chicken until you finally pass the ball to someone who knows what to do with it. But even saying that. Where the hell is our midfield now.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
On the low amount wondered if a sizeable sell on % to Chelsea kicks in at a certain amount and we’d actually get more at the lower price

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I’m absolutely f***ing gutted about this. Honestly do not understand this move in the slightest. Gutted.
Yep.. it maybe not to the same level, but this one has overtures of letting Muzza leave under Poyet, then repenting at leisure.

WBG was excellent last season, had numerous MOTM performances, really kept the midlfield ticking, was developing really well, is still a great age and young at 23.

Letting him walk is bad enough, letting him walk for such a pittance just doesnt make any sense?? he's worth way more than 13m euros, we're paying more than that for kids nobody has heard of from Mickey Mouse Danish league.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
200w.gif

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
First decision the club has got wrong this window. Gutted.
Second. They undersold Marc Leonard too - Birmingham fans are still wondering how they mugged us. Perhaps the club's not keen on Scots! :(

Loud boos for the departure of WBG, but good luck to him; wish him well.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So for the second time we dismantle our midfield in one window with Gross and Gilmour leaving.

Will be interesting to see who plays alongside Milner tomorrow if Wieffer is not fit.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There is no chance we are letting him go for any less than £50m.
Soi, it turns out that you could have got FOUR Billy Gilmours for your £50m today, and still had over £5m change to keep them all in deep-fried pizza for the rest of their lives.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Caicedo bossed midfields defensively for us. Compare his stats on sofascore to Gilmour. Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea all wanted Caicedo. He was a huge component in driving us to top 6, through pace, power, tackling, covering. How many times could we say Gilmour bossed CM for entire PL games?
different type of player, but I guess we all agree that as good a player as Caicedo is, he was never really worth 115m....... was great we had Liverpool and clueless tool Boehly both bidding against each other.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You spent the entire last season moaning about the lack of replacement for Caicedo, who in 22/23 - according to the same site - scored 1 goal, 1 assist, only managed to 50% tackles won and 47% crossing accuracy.

Bissouma had one or two lucky hits out of too many attempts, Caicedo scored two goals, Stephens was no goal machine in the PL, your old favorite Liam Bridcutt has scored five goals in 400 games or something. Why are people expecting defensive midfielders to score a bunch of goals? It has never been the case. Its one of the most goal shy positions in football, central defenders included.

Geez.
He played in a two in midfield -- you might want to call it a double pivot. His partner in midfield racked up goals, assists and pre-assists galore. Billy managed a sprightly one assist, and that's being generous (as the Newcastle goalie spilled his shot to Fergie).
Billy is a great pro, very tidy on the ball. But he is so slow and lacks physicality which is why he didn't win hardly any tackles. You need more than one attribute to play DCM. Billy was very good at recycling the ball. But he couldn't tackle and snuff out counter-attacks. Nor was he creative enough to create openings. Ali Mac could do all three, and still does. Caicedo was/is exemplary at two of them, as was Pascal.

There, there's my football lesson for you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here