Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Napoli interested in Billy Gilmour **Sold 30/08/24**

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Transfermarkt believe that we paid about £7m for him. Say Chelsea have a 30% sell-on, that is normally on the profit. So about £1.5m to Chelsea from the £5m profit.

But what if we, in order for Napoli to get him so cheap, had a 50% sell-on clause with this deal?

So hypothetically, if Napoli sold him to Milan for £40m in 2027, we could get another £14m from the profits and limit the amount Chelsea get from the sale this summer. Total profit on WBG would be £17.5m which would be pretty good for a player rejected by our new manager.

It’s a gamble for sure, you’d just need a Chairman who is good at that sort of thing to pull it off.

Effectively, we’d be getting rid of Chelsea’s opportunity to make money on is sale and replacing with ours in the future. Bad news for Chelsea.
Not sure about that - Chelsea's sell on clause (if they have one) could carry on to give them a percentage of our sell on. There was quite a discussion about how far sell on clauses go on for on here a few weeks ago, and I'm pretty sure the conclusion was that it all boils down to what conditions were put in the contract.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I'd be surprised if any sell-on clause Chelsea inserted doesn't stipulate that they are due a percentage of all profit (I.e. including what is made from a subsequent sell-on clause), rather than just the up-front fee.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I'd be surprised if any sell-on clause Chelsea inserted doesn't stipulate that they are due a percentage of all profit (I.e. including what is made from a subsequent sell-on clause), rather than just the up-front fee.
Exactly, unless Chelsea have been very stupid (which let’s face it is a possibility) then the norm is for sell on clauses to be paid on all future profitable income on the player.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Not quite sure about Gilmour, some games he looks fantastic, pulling the strings in the middle and driving us up the pitch. Other games he looks a bit lost, weak, doesn't create and can't shoot. But he's only 23, growing as a Premier League midfielder, and could go onto be really really good player in a slightly tweaked system. And that's the thing, none of us know what he'll look like under a new manager.

If the new coach doesn't fancy him, maybe he is one that could end up leaving, but not for that price. Even if he's only got 2 years left on his contract he'd be worth at least double the reported fee, imho.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
what i will say is, when he was injured/suspended for the back end of last season, our performances took a complete nosedive and we were unable to get a foothold on the ball and keep hold of it at any point during a lot of games

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The video was very early on with a full strength team that had continued from the previous season. Everyone was an 8 or 9.
(Stupidly at that moment I thought we’d have a great season, then the injuries started and RdZ stubbornness).

As per my post, for me, BG absence was not a significant factor in our loss of form.

He’s a steady PL player nothing more IMO, I’ll be sorry if he leaves, but would agree with @Farehamseagull estimate of £25m+ being good business.

44 PL appearances for us, 0 goals, 3 assists. Underwhelming stats for any non-defensive centre midfielder. He hasn’t the pace, mobility or power of a destroyer. His contribution has to come from tangible creativity.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If £8m really was their opening gambit, then Napoli are a bunch of timewasting tyre-kickers. That is absolutely DERISORY for a 23 y/o PL regular 1st-team starter, and a full international (albeit for the scotch), with 2 years still on his deal.

TB should tell them to think about tripling that bid before they bother coming back to the table, PLUS add-ons, or bog off back to their mediocre ice cream.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Exactly, unless Chelsea have been very stupid (which let’s face it is a possibility) then the norm is for sell on clauses to be paid on all future profitable income on the player.
I'm sure they do but that extra, again, will only be on the subsequent profit, meaning their cut of the overall profit diminishes with each sale.

Eg, assume Chelsea sold WBG to us for £7m with a 20% sell-on clause.

1. Albion sell WBG to Napoli for £15m with a 30% sell-on clause.
Profit - £8m. Split - Albion: £6.4m, Chelsea: £1.6m

2. Napoli sell WBG on to Barcelona for £40m (I'm ignoring any sell-on clause as I want to stop at this step)
Profit - £25m. Profit Split - Napoli: £17.5m, Albion: £6m, Chelsea: £1.5m

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I’d be very surprised if we want to sell a starting midfielder from last season given the uncertainty around Gross and that billy only been back in training for a few days.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Not doubting Napoli's interest, or that a bid has been rejected, but i would think us letting him go for £12m is absolute bullshit. Unless we are suddenly about to bring in 2 more starting centre mid options then BG is still very much a first team player. Of course its possible we could let him go if the right bid came in, but £12m is not it..

Maybe there is a young Napoli starlet that we are after and BG is part of a swap plus cash deal?????

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
I’m not sure Hurzeler will even have met him yet, never mind decided on whether he likes him or not, surely he’d want to watch him a bit before deciding on keeping him?

Have the players from the Euro’s even been back in training yet?

Anyway, I think it would be a shame if he left and the £12m would be surprisingly low. Would expect us to wring a bit more money out of his transfer.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Maybe he is considered surplus to requirements and we've allowed the story of this lo-ball offer to get more interest.
It's quite easy to imagine a few managers reading WBG may go to Napoli for £12 million and getting on the blower sharpish.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
44 PL appearances for us, 0 goals, 3 assists. Underwhelming stats for any non-defensive centre midfielder. He hasn’t the pace, mobility or power of a destroyer. His contribution has to come from tangible creativity.

Often think about Albion running the data to target future player purchases but hadn’t thought about running those same stats on current players and whether they stack up.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
All very fair points.

As I say, I do like him, but he’s not irreplaceable

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Late to this but £8m as an offer suggests that they are not that serious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here