Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Napoli interested in Billy Gilmour **Sold 30/08/24**

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I’d love him to stay here but only if he is really in Hűrzeler’s plans and we are really going to use him. Most of the talk has been about how he doesn’t fit in.

A 10min sub at the end of games would be a waste of a season for him and would probably just end up with an unhappy player.
Has to earn a place and if it’s off the bench so be it, didn’t he manage an assist in the offside goal?

I think he has enough about him to be picked depending on the opposition and how neat and tidy we need to be in midfield. But I am talking as a fan who has not really got to grips with FHball yet

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Too many people writing WBG off without actually seeing him in the new system. He was impressive in his cameo.

Fab has said he is open to adjusting style of play depending on who we are playing so can see Billy fitting in depending on who we play.

Of course if the right offer comes in, I can see him going but the numbers rumoured to be offered by Napoli seem way off the required number for a player of his quality relative to other fees players have gone for this window already.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Has to earn a place and if it’s off the bench so be it, didn’t he manage an assist in the offside goal?

I think he has enough about him to be picked depending on the opposition and how neat and tidy we need to be in midfield. But I am talking as a fan who has not really got to grips with FHball yet

I don’t mean that he doesn’t have to earn it, I just mean if he really didn’t suit the style of football FH wants to play, there is no point in keeping him as a benchwarmer.

If you don’t suit the system then it doesn’t matter how well you do in training, or how hard you work. you’ll not be picked - we’ve seen that in plenty of teams over the years.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

#Calciomercato | #Napoli , final details with #Brighton for #Gilmour . The club is counting on getting #Lukaku on its terms: 30 million still on the table but with the loan with obligation to buy formula.

1.8m Twitter followers.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Supposedly we want O’Riley in first

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
I'm not so re-assured -
"Billy Gilmour knows how I see him and how my plans are with him. In the end he knows what he has with this club, with his teammates, I think he feels comfortable.
"Here he can develop, he's a great player and he's developed well here already. We will see what happens but I'm really glad he's back on the pitch today
."

Very diplomatic, methinks.
Saying nice things may be diplomacy, but seeing WBG on the pitch is more than that (I hope).

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Just can’t see a wold in which we need both O’Riley and Rutter.

If Billy goes we need a replacement but considering we also signed Gruda I’d rather use the extra money on getting Ferdi through the door
What! We definitely need another CM if Billy goes, ideally two for me. We have lost Moran, Gross, Lallana, Leonard, Alzate, Kozloswski, Dahoud/Moder out of favour and Milner is on borrowed time.

Who have we brought in to CM, oh yes Mats Wiefer and potentially Yalcouye can play there.

Baleba last played at left back against Villarreal.
Rutter similar to Facundo, who has also gone but Rutter can also play as a CF.

We are so light at CM we could do with two O'Rileys if Billy goes!!

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What! We definitely need another CM if Billy goes, ideally two for me. We have lost Moran, Gross, Lallana, Leonard, Alzate, Kozloswski, Dahoud/Moder out of favour and Milner is on borrowed time.

Who have we brought in to CM, oh yes Mats Wiefer and potentially Yalcouye can play there.

With the exception of Gross, the loss of most of the others in bold in your post will barely cause a ripple in our CM fortunes

And Yalcouye is meant to be on his way to St Pauli to say sorry for robbing them

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
With the exception of Gross, the loss of most of the others in bold in your post will barely cause a ripple in our CM fortunes
You would have said the same about Jack Hinshelwood ahead of last season.

We had hopes for all of those players at one time. They still need replacing even if they couldn't live up to Mwepu, Mac Allister, Caicedo now Billy etc

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Rutter is a winger / striker / attacking mid 10

He's never played CM as far as I know

Different players
Hürzeler made some interesting comments regarding Rutter.

One was on the positions he took up. They are exactly what he wants.

No surprise as his heat map from last season is almost the same as Hürzeler’s two St Pauli midfielders. Irvine and Hartel.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You would have said the same about Jack Hinshelwood ahead of last season.

We had hopes for all of those players at one time. They still need replacing even if they couldn't live up to Mwepu, Mac Allister, Caicedo now Billy etc
A number of our younger players have had a golden breakout season. Far harder to maintain that momentum for that difficult second season tho eh, for one reason or another

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Point remains, we are very light in CM/CDM cover before we even start talking about Billy Gilmour leaving.
Wieffer, Baleba, Milner, Hinshelwood, plus Gilmour and/or O'Riley. As it stands, Dahoud and Moder are also still around and if we can't get rid before the window closes, they may well re-enter existence (temporarily at least).

Really don't think its light; only need five players for those two roles.

Wieffer, Baleba, Milner, Hinshelwood, plus Gilmour and/or O'Riley. As it stands, Dahoud and Moder are also still around and if we can't get rid before the window closes, they may well re-enter existence (temporarily at least).

Really don't think its light; only need five players for those two roles.
Wieffer - difficult first outing; Baleba - difficult first season and now being tried at LB; Hinsh - no sign he's going to be changed from FB; Milner - no wheels; Gilmour/Dahoud/Moder all nearly gone. It's not great I'm afraid for thse KEY positions. Good reinforcements vital, we can always "make do" and then drop games that our rich potential suggests we should be winning

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Whooo hoo, this is almost like a new signing to this WBG fan, if true -from today’s Argus:

Billy Gilmour, who went on as sub on Saturday, is expected to remain with Albion, despite strong interest from Napoli.
That sounds like a new contract is being announced soon. Obviously the fans-forum-ite who basically accused the club of pushing Gilmour out was "wide of the mark".

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Wieffer - difficult first outing; Baleba - difficult first season and now being tried at LB; Hinsh - no sign he's going to be changed from FB; Milner - no wheels; Gilmour/Dahoud/Moder all nearly gone. It's not great I'm afraid for thse KEY positions. Good reinforcements vital, we can always "make do" and then drop games that our rich potential suggests we should be winning
Well...

Wieffer had a somewhat difficult first game. He is expected to get better. Its a little early finding a replacement for him.
Baleba had a difficult first season. Now its his second, and the way we work, we expect him to be better this season.
The probable signing of Ferdi and the fact we have to great LBs suggest Hinsh will play some midfield this season.
Milner may or may not have wheels but he's been playing throughout pre-season and this weekend; even if you declare him dead, Fabian clearly sees him as a part of the squad.

Can't just sign players because a midfielder had a bad debut or because a young midfielder struggled a year ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here