Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Napoli interested in Billy Gilmour **Sold 30/08/24**

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I like the player. He lacks physicality sure and the comments about his actual attacking output are fair.

His role is to get the ball and move it quickly and accurately and keep us ticking over in midfield. I thought he did a great job for his manager last season. He would have massively benefitted from a Caicedo or Bissouma alongside him to win the duels, but that is hardly his fault.

You can tell his class, just by the way he plays with his head up. Always has a great awareness of what is around him.

Not that i'm imploring the club to keep him. They know what we need best. I'm imploring Brighton fans that if he goes, he goes with our best wishes and respect and that he's warmly welcomed back should our paths ever cross again.
I think that sums it up for me too. He obviously had a torrid time with his stalker and should only be judged post conviction etc. If there's a place in FAB's side for a ratty scuffler and Bremner like battler with some vision and passing skills, then happy for him to stay and fight for his place. If not, there should be several teams in the Prem who could and would pay £20m+ for him and I think he's worth it.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I think that sums it up for me too. He obviously had a torrid time with his stalker and should only be judged post conviction etc. If there's a place in FAB's side for a ratty scuffler and Bremner like battler with some vision and passing skills, then happy for him to stay and fight for his place. If not, there should be several teams in the Prem who could and would pay £20m+ for him and I think he's worth it.
Pretty accurate assessment and how I feel. I like "ratty scuffler" and think most teams benefit from one. If he is going I don't think it's unreasonable to get somewhere between £25m to £35m.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
A lot of his passes are back to where the ball came from. I guess “key passes” is a better indicator of his value and that’s only 57 which is just above average.
Though his xA - expected assists - was decent.
Anyhow as I've alluded to earlier he's a lovely player but may well be better suited to a different team. If Conte can get enough cash together it could be a great move for him.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
It looks like Hurzeler plays just two centre midfielders as such. For us, will that be Baleba and Weiffer?
My assumption is that those 2 are the main option and back up for the ‘number 6s’. My concern is I don’t think (with Pascal going) we have anyone at all suitable for the ‘number 8’. KDH would have been ideal. Presumably Gomez would be one but we need another

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
It looks like Hurzeler plays just two centre midfielders as such. For us, will that be Baleba and Weiffer?

Potentially, playing in front of a back 3.

When in possession of the ball the middle player of that back 3 would step into midfield becoming a CDM single pivot.

At St Pauli Hurzeler used a defensive midfielder to play in the middle of a back 3, so Weiffer could also be suited to do that for us.

This allows more creative centre midfielders to play in the 2 central midfield roles, pushing up into the opposition half, counter pressing, making assists and scoring goals.

This is the crux of the debate about Billy Gilmour, as he is neither strong enough defensively to play that hybrid CB/CDM role nor creative enough to be a goalscorer / assist maker.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Potentially, playing in front of a back 3.

When in possession of the ball the middle player of that back 3 would step into midfield becoming a CDM single pivot.

At St Pauli he used a defensive midfielder to play in the middle of a back 3, so Weiffer could do that for us.

This allows 2 more creative centre midfielders to push up into the opposition half, counter pressing, making assists and scoring goals.

This is the Cruz of the debate about Billy Gilmour, as he is neither strong enough defensively nor a creative of a goalscorer.
We seem to be heading for something like this:

————————Verbruggen——————

———Van Hecke——Wieffer——Dunk———

Lamptey——Baleba——Buonanotte-—Estupinan

—March———-Pedro———-Mitoma————

On the assumption, Gilmour, Groß, Dahoud and Moder leave. We’re going to need some more experience in midfield I believe.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

————————Verbruggen——————

On the assumption, Gilmour, Groß, Dahoud and Moder leave. We’re going to need some more experience in midfield I believe.

With our current squad, allowing for those departures, I'd be happy with that.

Dunk could also play the hybrid role and Weiffer could play as one of the 2 midfielders.

This would shore us up against the more robust teams.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
A lot of his passes are back to where the ball came from. I guess “key passes” is a better indicator of his value and that’s only 57 which is just above average.
"Progressive passes" and "Passes into final third/penalty area" are good indicators on whether a defensive playmaker is actually doing something or mainly alibi passing.
bild_2024-07-23_085915479.png

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea

————————Verbruggen——————

I agree with your assumptions and your conclusion. Although I think Baleba may be the understudy for Wieffer. That leaves two CMs - one box to box and one more attacking. I think we have options for the more attacking one (Buonanotte, Enciso), although the Croat chap would give us another option. But we have zero box to box midfielders. Gomez would be one but even if we land him, with Gross going we need another one.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

————————Verbruggen——————

I suspect Hinshelwood over Lamptey and I'd find room for Enciso (by playing 12 players maybe??).

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

————————Verbruggen——————

At least 3 of those players are injured for a while as well of course.

I've got to say, i'm not convinced we'll be leaving Baleba to hold the fort in the manner this line up suggests. There's not enough defensive minded players in there for me

I cannot wait for tomorrow's game. The first game with a new manager is always fascinating. This one especially intriguing

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
We’ll need 4 in the squad at least if that’s the case. Interesting to see what he does with Hinsh.
Currently there's double that in the squad - Gilmour, Baleba, Wieffer, Milner, Moder, Dahoud, Hinshelwood, Yalcouye. I would be surprised if another (primarly) defensive minded player comes on.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
What is all this nonsense about “alibi passing” and “CDM single pivot”. I think a lot of you (probably those who don’t go to games) are being horrible about a very nice young man who’s served us well.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

————————Verbruggen——————

Lamptey——Baleba——Buonanotte—Estupinan

———————Verbruggen——————

———Veltman——Dunk——JPVH———

Hinshelwood—Baleba——Wieffer—Estupinan

—March———-Pedro———-Mitoma———

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here