Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Name The Brighton Player Competition

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Carrot Cruncher said:
The 88 one, I was thinking it's Steve Penney.

Wendy DID wear the 10 shirt for most of 87/88, so it depends on whether it was pre or post summer 88

Fair enough. The immaculately coiffured bouffant does look very Wendy in style, I'll give you that.

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
edna krabappel said:
The 1988 one, well I thought Wendy used to wear 4,

Just shows how wrong you can be Edna. The Albion have never had a player called Wendy.

That insult comes from the same stable as the ignorant people who call the good lasses and lads in blue who help to maintain law and order in our land, pigs.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is the 87 one Gerry Ryan? Saunders on the ground.

Edit , no it's not he had his career ended by Hughton in '85 :(

Last edited:

Superfreds Mullet

Where's Nogbad?
Mar 6, 2007
Walking on the Moon
I agree in 1970 pic John Templeman is in the background however it definitely is not Ernie Machin too early for him.I think it is Bert Murray the 'Buy a player fund' purchase we bought from Birmingham for £50000.That was in the days when the club was skint and couldn't afford new players except with the help of funds from the fans.Deja vu?

Superfreds Mullet

Where's Nogbad?
Mar 6, 2007
Walking on the Moon
More very sad observations from 1970 pic and showing my age-far right is that the the star of glittering SCR radio matchday punditry our Norman Gall? Its as far up the pitch as he used to go! Also the Albion player behind JT could be the effervescent Mr Personality and northern wit Howard Wilkinson.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
'88 is definitely Wilkins.

'87 is definitely Saunders and Penney. It a great picture that - it actually makes the Goldstone look WORSE than Withdean!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I do concur that 1970 was too early for machin. i think the player on the right of the picture is the robust legend Alan Duffy but the player in the background, between Duffy and the main guy, who may well be Murrey. looks to me like Sir Norman of Gall.

Superfreds Mullet

Where's Nogbad?
Mar 6, 2007
Walking on the Moon
Further to my previous observations my toolbar cut off the part of the picture showing the stocky Alan Duffy on the far right. As previously noted Sir Norman is on the not so far right in the background.Blurred due to focus rather than speed! At a guess the opposition is Barnsley.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Back in my young days, i used to keep scrapbooks of from the Argus, Gazette & herald and have 4 seasons from 68/69 though to the promotion year of 71/72. I still have them and that's why those older pics seem so familiar.

I was going to carry on in 72/73 but had obtained 'other interests' by then, plus the fact we were getting thrashed every week hardly makes you want to keep a record of it!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
87 is Penney and Saunders

88 I dont think its Wilkins....I reckon its Chivers !!!

Forget the number, but was Chivers at the club at the time.....it aint Wilkins guys.....!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here