Name a U/K City.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Southwell. Some consider that to be a city as it has a cathedral.

Isn't it a Minster rather than a cathedral? Far be it from me to know the difference between the two, its only that I was there the other week...

RIGHT. Can we sort this out once and for all. Having an Anglican cathedral does not automatically a city make. A local government area is a city if the Lord Chancellor says it is, and has had letters patent bestowed on it by the Queen. Or King.

Well, indeed. Which is why, Jambo and Leeky, neither Brechin nor Elgin are cities. In both cases, they were Royal Burghs. They were considered the equivalent of English cities (with Burghs the equivalent of towns), hence the erroneous use of the title 'City' - including, of course, in the names of their football teams - by Anglicisers. Cities did not exist in Scotland until local government reorganisation in 1974, when just four of the old Royal Burghs (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee) were made into cities (although this is complicated by both Dundee and Aberdeen having been given the title, if not the legal status, of 'City' in the 19th century). As part of the millennium celebrations in 2000, Inverness and Stirling were added to the roster. And those are the only 6 cities in Scotland.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I suppose at Christmas, I will end up playing the game when you have to name a place beginning with the last letter of the previous place. Follow Norwich with ....? ****** Town.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Oh yeah. Whoops. It's confusing, all this.

You think your system is bad? We have places that have always been cities, with Royal Charters, etc (Sligo) that... aren't since 1922. The cities that still are cities are fairly abritary, and all of them are still operating under Royal Charters.

Or in the case of Sligo, it now is again. But its a "Gateway City" and is only allowed use that term, and never does. None of the rest of the gateway cities do either. One of the "gateway cities" is smaller than my suburb, at that (Letterkenny).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here