Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My take on last night

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That was one of the first games I actually didn't enjoy at all.

Yes I know where we have come from, withdean, Russel Slade, Dirk Lehman..blah blah blah.....and we are just outside the playoffs..overachieving....etc etc

I think its the "european football" mentality that is doing it for me. I am not a fan of pass it around at the back and sod the players up front who thrive on through balls, ie CMS. I watched countless times last night in the first half where CMS, Barnes and Assulin made runs across the defenders and the defence chose to play it between themselves....and then Greer to hoof it to their defenders.

Yes I appreciate that we hit the post and their keeper made terrific saves, but mostly when we had completely changed the style to two out and out wingers and a big center forward. In this case I feel so sorry for CMS as it has been obvious that he is desparate to have a holding center forward to give him the ball to make his runs, and as soon as we get one, he doesn't get to play at the same time, Gus preferring to haul him off and bring Vokes on.

I just thought we got it wrong in the first half as after 5 minutes you could see that Mackay had set his stall out by plumping 11 men behind the ball, packing the midfield and sitting tight....the very time when we should have had an outlet on the wing which Assulin certainly is not.

It will be interesting if that formation from Gus was a "suck it and see" formation, because I think against Pompey who will be up for it ( possibly their last ever game) will not come to sit behind the ball.

I also thought it was interesting how Razzak coped with almost man to man marking....well he didn't, which is something he may need to learn quickly to progress in the Premiership and Europe. He struggled to make space as basically there was none.

The second half was chalk and cheese and once Cardiff scored, we needed to change it, which begs the question, if cardiff hadn't scored, how long would Gus have kept it as it was....maybe a point was what we were after?

At least the great games we have had this season outweighs the ones like last night, but that is the first time ( even in games we have lost) at home that I came away nonplussed.

Yes I know where we have come from, withdean, Russel Slade, Dirk Lehman..blah blah blah.....and we are just outside the playoffs..overachieving....etc etc

I think its the "european football" mentality that is doing it for me. I am not a fan of pass it around at the back and sod the players up front who thrive on through balls, ie CMS. I watched countless times last night in the first half where CMS, Barnes and Assulin made runs across the defenders and the defence chose to play it between themselves....and then Greer to hoof it to their defenders.

Yes I appreciate that we hit the post and their keeper made terrific saves, but mostly when we had completely changed the style to two out and out wingers and a big center forward. In this case I feel so sorry for CMS as it has been obvious that he is desparate to have a holding center forward to give him the ball to make his runs, and as soon as we get one, he doesn't get to play at the same time, Gus preferring to haul him off and bring Vokes on.

I just thought we got it wrong in the first half as after 5 minutes you could see that Mackay had set his stall out by plumping 11 men behind the ball, packing the midfield and sitting tight....the very time when we should have had an outlet on the wing which Assulin certainly is not.

It will be interesting if that formation from Gus was a "suck it and see" formation, because I think against Pompey who will be up for it ( possibly their last ever game) will not come to sit behind the ball.

I also thought it was interesting how Razzak coped with almost man to man marking....well he didn't, which is something he may need to learn quickly to progress in the Premiership and Europe. He struggled to make space as basically there was none.

The second half was chalk and cheese and once Cardiff scored, we needed to change it, which begs the question, if cardiff hadn't scored, how long would Gus have kept it as it was....maybe a point was what we were after?

At least the great games we have had this season outweighs the ones like last night, but that is the first time ( even in games we have lost) at home that I came away nonplussed.
:facepalm: thanks for sharing

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

I agree. I'm all for passing, keeping the ball but not between the centre backs. The front players made some great runs in the 1st half and on more than one occasion Greer looked up at them and then passed it side wards. This bugs me as he is so capable of pinging a defense splitting ball as has been shown against Ipswich and the 2nd goal last night, so why not earlier in the game.

Gus has stated he's not sure of his best team and I do believe that being totally honest, he doesn't. We have three of the most exciting wingers in the league and he doesn't play them. In someway I believe the squad is now too big, almost confusing the issue. All three wingers differ in the way they play and yet he's now trying someone different. The combinations on offer are almost limitless and that can lead to it own problems.

Early on last night (first 5 mins) the ball went out for our goal kick. Cardiff retreated to the halfway line and made no attempt to stop the short kick. They continued in that vein throughout the game. It was obvious that the way we had set up was not going to be easily to get behind them. I was surprised Gus didn't change it much much earlier.

I didn't blame the players last night but the tactics.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It all looks different when we have some width. We had none in the first half (Assulin is not a winger is he ?) and when we gave ourselves some width it changed. I did think we had learnt that a few weeks back.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

Thanks for sharing.

I agree.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I agree re the first half. It was dull as ditchwater and we did not have an answer to their park the bus approach. The last half hour though was great entertainment. We threw the kitchen sink at them and gave it a right old go, and even at 1-2 I was being entertained. I'd like to think we'll pick where we left off on saturday, but suspect we won't.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
I agree re the first half. It was dull as ditchwater and we did not have an answer to their park the bus approach. The last half hour though was great entertainment. We threw the kitchen sink at them and gave it a right old go, and even at 1-2 I was being entertained. I'd like to think we'll pick where we left off on saturday, but suspect we won't.

I agree with this. Was Gus trying to bore them to death first half & then spring them with Buckley & co once they were drifting off to sleep. We looked much more of an attacking threat in the 2nd half funny why we didn't start like that. It's Portsmouth on Saturday obviously Gus will not underestimate them but is there need to be immensely cautious??? We shall see.

In Gus we trust

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked

Yesterday was one of the few times I got frustrated with our style of play. I love it, but yesterday Cardiff were there for the taking. They parked the bus infront of the goal, and we just stood there and admired it. I know its hard to break down, but seemingly we didnt even try to, we had that lucky shot from reyes that went through to CMS, but that was about it

It was crying out for us to step up even just one gear. It looked like we were trying to drag them out by keeping the ball at the back, but they were having none of it. Once Cardiff scored, different ball game and we attacked, and looked great going forward

I really hope we go for it against Pompey, they are short of players and their "better" players have left. Need to make things happen instead of waiting for them to happen.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
We lacked urgency until the treble substitution , from then on in we were up for it.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

here lies the problem great flair and match changing players and they are always on the bench start how we finished last night against pompey saturday and we can all have an enjoyable day ,no creative players starting then leave it to the last 10 mins again and maybe miss out

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I enjoyed it and really appreciate the football we play. It's become our very own brand of playing in a way. But the way we play doesn't mean the runs of CMS should not be picked out so on that point I agree.

I think the problem with the way we were set up last night was that Assulin struggled in the Buckley role. It was if after ten minutes, Cardiff had sussed him out and he was stifled. I think he would be more effective playing centrally. I fully expect Buckley and/or Noone/Lua Lua to take his place on Saturday.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The three changes were already happening before Cardiff scored there goal, vokes and buckley were called over as cardiff won a corner.

I had faith in the tactics last night, how many times have you seen us get to half time and the scores nil - nil for us to go on to win it.

Cardiff scored two goals that came from mistakes. if we had kept it at 1-1 i believe we would of gone on to win the game, however once they scored the second, they stuck all 11 players behind the ball again and we did well to get a second.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I suppose the argument is "look where we have come from" but that was not really the issue last night.

we now have a team of established championship players who have all stepped up to the plate and have not looked out of their depth, and a smattering of, albeit fringe, but Premiership players....mattock, Razzaq, Asulin and Reyes.

I know Gus is learning his trade, but I am sure 99.99% of people who went last night would have to admit that in the first half he got it wrong and it was only when cardiff scored ( in fact they came out in the second half looking to win the game quickly) that Gus was forced to make the change to switch the style.

It will be interesting if he reverts to his side that started yesterday or the one that finished or somewhere in the middle for the game on saturday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here