Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My response to the anti-falmer letter in today's Argus

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Buzzer said:
Okay chaps. Wouldn't mind a 2nd opinion on this before I send it.

I must take issue with R Walker’s letter regarding the Falmer stadium.

Anyone who has been following the debate in the Argus letters will see that rather than puerile put-downs, it is the Pro-Falmer brigade that have repeatedly put forward solid reasonable assertions as to why Falmer is the right place and why those who oppose it are so, so wrong. The anti-brigade has repeatedly been shown to be ignorant of the reasons why Brighton currently has no stadium, blind to the benefits of having a community stadium and ill-informed as to why other sites just are not practical.

Yes, the replies are laden with sarcasm but this is completely understandable when the anti-brigade have relied so much on the spurious half-truths and stupid, stupid technicalities that are preventing us from having our stadium built.

Mr Walker’s letter is a prime example of this muddled thinking. We, in this city, were given a referendum as to where the Albion site should be. We, Brightonians, overwhelmingly voted for Falmer as best for the club and the city. What more proof does he want that the people of this city do overwhelmingly support Falmer?

He goes on to claim that everyone who has a car will use one. On what basis is this substantiated? This is so illogical as to be farcical. I should think that the fact that buses and a train station will stop right by the ground is very relevant.

Finally, he is wrong to say that the choice of site is much more important than football. It is AS important as the football. I suggest he looks at all the work in the community that BHA do for the people of Sussex.

Quite simply no Falmer, no Brighton and Hove Albion. Is that a cost that he is willing to pay?

Brillant, send it in NOW! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Buzzer said:
Righto. Taken on board what people have said and this has just been emailed to the Argus. Let's hope it gets in promptly:

I must take issue with R Walker’s letter regarding the Falmer stadium.

Anyone who has been following the debate in the Argus letters will see that rather than puerile put-downs, it is the Pro-Falmer brigade that have repeatedly put forward solid reasonable assertions as to why Falmer is the right place and why those who oppose it are so wrong. The anti-brigade has repeatedly been shown to be ignorant of the reasons why Brighton currently has no stadium, blind to the benefits of having a community stadium and ill-informed as to why other sites just are not practical.

Yes, the replies are laden with sarcasm but this is completely understandable when the anti-brigade have relied so much on the spurious half-truths and stupid, stupid technicalities that are preventing us from having our stadium built.

Mr Walker’s letter is a prime example of this muddled thinking. When we had the referendum, we Brightonians voted 84% when asked 'do they wish to see a permanent home for the Albion in Brighton and Hove' and 64% when asked 'should that home be at Falmer'. What more proof does he want that the people of this city do overwhelmingly support what the club is trying to do?

Mr Walker speculates that the A27 will be gridlocked by traffic on each match-day, and rather oddly states that the proximity of Falmer railway station to the site is 'irrelevant'. In fact there will be no parking at the stadium whatsoever, meaning that all spectators will be forced to use public transport or park and ride schemes. I hope this allays Mr Walker's fears on this matter

Finally, he is wrong to say that the choice of site is much more important than football. It is AS important as the football. I suggest he looks at all the work in the community that BHA do for the people of Sussex.

Quite simply no Falmer, no Brighton and Hove Albion. Is that a cost that he is willing to pay?

I know it's tiresome to have to do this but we can't let the LDC think that they are winning the argument or have the moral high ground:

Even better. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Barnham Seagull said:
Think you will find that there will be parking at Sussex Uni and Southern Water, you may want to check that first before saying there will be no parking at all.
True. But neither of those sites are "at the stadium". And neither of them will create traffic at Falmer village.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Totaly agree LB! Just dont want the NIMBYS to turn his words against him.

LB as someone in the know about the enquiry etc did the falmer residents ever raise issues about the development of the site over recent years i.e further student accomodation and a leisure centre?

Why have LDC and others never made such a public song and dance on those developments is it just because they are anti football and think football fans are the underclass of society?

KPTF

Jan 6, 2004
Burgess Hill
Re: Re: Re: My response to the anti-falmer letter in today's Argus

Rangdo said:
Thats because there aren't a choice of sites. The last inspector cleared that one up a long long time ago.

We're talking about the time of the 'referendum, well before it reached enquiry stage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here