Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My ps2 cant read disks

Bigtk

Nov 20, 2005
Silent Bob said:
Fixing Disc read errors:

PLEASE NOTE THAT I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING YOU MIGHT BREAK WHEN FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS. YOU'RE DOING THIS AT YOU'RE OWN RISK.

To do this you'll need.....

1. A medium philips screwdriver.
2. A small philips screwdriver.
3. A cotton bud, or two, or a few.
4. A hoover (or a dyson's just as good).
5. Optional - Cleaning alcohol. Not essential. I find breath's just as good.

Go...................

Step 1 - The feet

First job is to take the plastic screw covers off the bottom so you can get to the screws. The image shows you where you'll find these feet. Just pry them out. There's nothing holding them in. Remember that the rubber ones go at each corner.

Note that depending on the version of your PS2 you might have more plastic covers than 8.

ps2feet7xi.jpg

Step 2 - The screws

Now undo all the screws at the bottom of each hole. Take them all out.

ps2screws6nf.jpg

You're almost ready to take the top off. Turn the PS2 back the right way up.

Step 3 - The sticker

Before you can take the top off, you have to void your warrenty. This means peeling the sticker off.

The sticker is stuck across the top and bottom half, so you have to peel it enough to free the two halves. Don't think you can sneak it and get it back on without anyone knowing. Pay close attention to the label when you've unpeeled it. It's quite amazing. Technology today!

ps2sticker9jg.jpg

Step 4 - Taking the top off

Right. First major step here. The top of the PS2 will come off easily enough, but the most important point is the connection between the base unit and the reset/eject switch. There's a silver ribbon cable that attaches itself to the PS2 underneath the CD tray, is then stuck with a sticker to the top of the CD tray, and then goes to the reset/eject switch which is part of the top casing of the PS2. So, you've got to be quite careful of this. Worse case scenario is unplugging it from the PS2 cos it's a nightmare to get back in. So, just take a bit of care doing this.

The best thing to do is essentially pivot the top of the PS2 off. So, rather than lifting it straight off, lift is off so it detaches itself from the base, and then pivot it over so that the top ends upside down with the reset/eject switch next to the PS2.

Hopefully the picture helps explain what I mean.

ps2coveroff5dz.jpg

The big ring shows the ribbon cable. Badly. The second ring, the reset/eject switch. But you should be able to see where I've put the top half of the case in relation to the bottom as not to put any strain on the ribbon cable.

You can actually take the reset/eject switch out of the top casing if you want.

ps2switch0ne.jpg

This'll make it harder to put back together again cos it's quite fiddly fitting it back into place so it's advisable to leave it as it is.

Step 5 - First chance to clean

Now you've got the top off, if this is the first time you've done it then chances are that it's pretty minging in there. Get a hoover on it now. Run it around getting up all the loose bits of dust.

Step 6 - The CD cover

There's 4 pretty tiny screws holding the CD cover in place. Remove all 4 screws. And take the cover off

ps2cdcover7ua.jpg

Step 7 - Cleaning the lens

Right. Pretty much there. After taking the cover off you'll see the lens that's giving you the grief. It should look pretty dirty.

ps2lens12nl.jpg

A closer look....

ps2lens25hh.jpg

You'll notice that the lens floats around a bit on it's mounting. This means you've got to be quite careful when cleaning it. My prefered method is to get the cotton bud, place it on the lens with some downward pressure (to stop it moving around, not too much pressure mind), and the clean it with a circular motion of the bud. Rubbing the bud between the fingers. Breathe on the lens to buff it up if you haven't got any alcohol to use (p.s. don't try vodka).

ps2cleanlens9yg.jpg

And that's it. All you've got to do now is reverse the process and put everything back together.....

Step 8 - Put CD cover back on

These are the 4 little screws. Be careful when you tighten these cos you can over tighten them.

Depending on how brave you are you could actually test that you've fixed the thing at this point. Plug it in and give it a go. Try not to touch anything inside it while it's powered up. Dunno if you can electrocute yourself, it just seems like a good idea.

Step 9 - Put the top back on

Easier than taking it off. Just remember to take care not to pull on the ribbon.

Step 10 - Screws

You'll have short and long screws to put back in. It's not hard to work out which go where and if you get it wrong it'll be obvious.

Step 11 - The plastic feet

Put the plastic feet back in.

Job done. You should now have a working PS2. If not, you've done something wrong.

sweet cheers so many suggestions!

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
See-Goals said:
Stupid? I was relating my own similar experience to that mentioned in the thread. It might just need a damn god clean but the lazer problem is a common one and I thought it worth mentioning.

I wasn't refering to your advice. I was referring to the post that I originally quoted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here