Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My mate sent this to Sky Sports

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
If you can train a cat to crap in your neighbour's garden rather than your own, if you can toilet train a two year old child, then surely a grown up man wearing a Chelsea or Arsenal shirt can learn the concept of accepting a decision without directing a mouthful of abuse towards the man in black.

Your little analogy there reminds me of Ruud Gullit's last night when he said, "It is more difficult to build a house than demolish it". What that has to do with reffing the match god knows but the look on Souness's mug after he said it made me laugh, he gave that 'what are you talking about you twat' look. :tosser:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Andy Townsend, by the way, is the exception to the rule: proving every single week that you can be both a mediocre player and an appalling screen presence.

However, doing a radio show with Mike Parry makes him seem like a very competent broadcaster....

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If, all too predictably, yet another European referee in a Chelsea match has received death threats is it not possible for him to sue the club and the players most culpable for inciting the fans' reaction?

It seems pretty obvious to me there is a link between how Drogba, Ballack and Terry behaved towards the ref, and the subsequent fallout he may suffer. And what's more, you could have predicted that in advance.

Soon no one will referee their matches, so UEFA may as well ban them anyway.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If, all too predictably, yet another European referee in a Chelsea match has received death threats is it not possible for him to sue the club and the players most culpable for inciting the fans' reaction?

It seems pretty obvious to me there is a link between how Drogba, Ballack and Terry behaved towards the ref, and the subsequent fallout he may suffer. And what's more, you could have predicted that in advance.

Soon no one will referee their matches, so UEFA may as well ban them anyway.

Sky sports news are reporting he has received them. When I first read your post you seemed to b suggesting it might happen, but now I wonder if you mean "if the reports are true".

Anyhoo, in keeping with the idea that sky are partly responsible, the news channel just asked:

Was the referee incompetent, or did the players go too far?

It's not an either/or situation! The ref can have been the most incompetent person ever, it doesn't excuse the behaviour of the players.

Nov 25, 2008
Block (H)ated
:yahoo: chelski are out couldn't care less about the ref atm

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Anyhoo, in keeping with the idea that sky are partly responsible, the news channel just asked:

Was the referee incompetent, or did the players go too far?

It's not an either/or situation! The ref can have been the most incompetent person ever, it doesn't excuse the behaviour of the players.

That is terrible... as you say, it suggests that the player's treatment of the referee was proportionate if they felt he was incompetent.

I would never treat another human being like Drogba and especially Ballack treated the ref. I hope they are punished. Like I have said before on this thread, kids that watch football need to see that this is unacceptable and not how to treat other people.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
it's very hard to explain unless you've been in a similar situation. Don't forget that these players have got where they are today cos they are a breed that have had to fight, scrap and generally be nasty bastards to make it in the game and some of these players have just had the most important game of their lives ruined by a totally inept ref.not saying that it is right, just trying to put another slant on it. it's just like the most mild-mannered person in the world suddenly becoming a maniac just cos someone has cut them up in their car!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I might have mentioned this already on a different thread, apologies if I have, but the best ref I saw in almost 30 games last season was none other than Amy Rayner...yes, a female ref. None of the players appeared to give her any back-chat, there didn't seem to be any of the swearing that can normally heard drifting off the pitch and all seemed to accept her decisions with grace...following the game supporters could be heard passing comment on what a good job she had done and how good the game had been...whether it would work with the likes of Drogba, Ballack, Terry and co I really don't know...but lady referees might be the way forward.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
it's very hard to explain unless you've been in a similar situation. Don't forget that these players have got where they are today cos they are a breed that have had to fight, scrap and generally be nasty bastards to make it in the game and some of these players have just had the most important game of their lives ruined by a totally inept ref.not saying that it is right, just trying to put another slant on it. it's just like the most mild-mannered person in the world suddenly becoming a maniac just cos someone has cut them up in their car!

Whilst appreciating your point, I thought Darren Fletcher conducted himself exceptionally well when he had the biggest game of his life stolen from him by a referee's mistake. It's a shame that others react in different ways and let themselves down.

Also, several of the Chelsea players showed a lot of dignity after the game, too, let's not forget. They weren't all doing a Ballack / Drogba.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought Darren Fletcher conducted himself exceptionally well when he had the biggest game of his life stolen from him by a referee's mistake.

Yes, damn that ref for scissoring Fabregas's legs out from under him when he was the last defender! His stud grazed the ball! That makes it ok to foul the player...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
is your vision ok? grazed the ball!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Maybe I understate the amount of contact, but it doesn't change the fact that in order to get to the ball, fletcher scissored Fabregas's legs out from under him. There is nothing in the rule book that says it's ok to foul someone if you make contact with the ball as well.

It bugs the hell out of me every time they slow down replays to show where there was minimal contact with the ball, point to it again and again saying "he got the ball" as if it means it's impossible for a foul to be given.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I remember how well we took the decisions of that fine ref Mr Prosser after the Sheff Utd game a few seasons back. We didn`t grumble about that did we even though a couple of decisions went against us.

and even 30 years on I still thank Mr Challis for making honest and let it be said, BRAVE decisions in that Stamford Bridge cup game.

I`m sure Chelsea fans will also learn to accept that the referee was in fact right on all the major decisions last night.

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

But everyone HAS been in a similar situation. Everyone has been in a situation where at work someone has taken the piss, and you've been shafted. Do other people run about screaming like a lunatic?

I've watched football for more than 25 years at all levels, so I know what the emotion and the passion of the game is all about. But what Drogba and Ballack did is bad for the game, pure and simple. It will have a very bad effect on young kids watching, and quite possibly the young family of the referee.

Everyone needs to take a step back from this game, make the players aware of their responsibilities, and not apologise for them. In the big picture, Chelsea not winning a match is irrelevant. But creating a culture where that sort of behaviour is seen as fine is totally unacceptable. We'll have a generation of spoilt brats on our hands.

It was all too predictable from Chelsea, and as someone else said, at odds with the way Darren Fletcher accepted his (much worse) decision.

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Where are the voices from my youth? The Brian Moores, the Peter Joneses, the Bryan Butlers and Kenneth Wolstenholmes? Mellifluous men with grace, dignity and with the humility to realise that they were facilitating the viewers' enjoyment and were not the central figure.
And whilst I'm at it I am nostalgic for Richie Benaud, Bill McLaren, Dan Maskell, David Vine, Brian Johnson and even Raymond Brooks-Ward. They really don't make them like they used to.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Steve Coppell said something similar - about people in the game not criticising what happened. I understand the point - but there are people that are able to control themselves. I doubt Joe Cole would have done a Drogba.

Also what about rugby ? I have watched a lot of youth rugby - and whilst I have seen petulance and poor sportsmanship the culture of respect for the referee works most of the time. And it comes from the top - and the biggest games, including European and World Cups.

There really is no excuse. And at youth football level there are also big games for those involved. Is it understandable for them to rant at the referee ? You know at youth level - an important part is teaching how to win and how to lose.

It is not easy - but shake hands, say well done and move on. It may sound old-fashioned - but there really is no other way.

Steve Coppell said something similar - about people in the game not criticising what happened. I understand the point - but there are people that are able to control themselves. I doubt Joe Cole would have done a Drogba.

Also what about rugby ? I have watched a lot of youth rugby - and whilst I have seen petulance and poor sportsmanship the culture of respect for the referee works most of the time. And it comes from the top - and the biggest games, including European and World Cups.

There really is no excuse. And at youth football level there are also big games for those involved. Is it understandable for them to rant at the referee ? You know at youth level - an important part is teaching how to win and how to lose.

It is not easy - but shake hands, say well done and move on. It may sound old-fashioned - but there really is no other way.

The problem, fundamentally, is that there's no will for things to change. They could quite easily bring in rugby levels of discipline if they wanted; hell, there are already rules bought in for swearing; why are they carried out to the letter of the law in the amateur game, but not the professional game?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

This comparison to Rugby is a little unfair because in rugby, the refs have the backing of the rules to impose discipline. ie, they can award penalty tries, move free kicks forward 10yrds etc. Without this, they would soon suffer the abuse that football refs get. Fifa should reintroduce the 10yrd dissent rule and refs should impose it the instant any defending player shows dissent. They should not try and arbitrate and diffuse a situation like Mike Riley and Cashley Cole. Any verbals and the free kick goes forward.

However, I suspect that Fifa/Uefa prefer the spectacle that heated situations create as they make football more dramatic than sterile and at the end of the day, they are all aware they are selling a product.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They could quite easily bring in rugby levels of discipline if they wanted; hell, there are already rules bought in for swearing; why are they carried out to the letter of the law in the amateur game, but not the professional game?

The same people who are slating the players now would be then slating the authorities for taking away the chance to see those players.

I remember at The Goldstone sitting in the South Stand and Colin Pates conceeded a corner that he thought was a goalkick and he could be clearly heard shouting at the linesman 'You blind c..t that was goal kick'. Had that been an amateur game the player would have been suspended for 42 days but the lino just put his fingers on his mouth as if to shut up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here