Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My little one has just gone to her first day at school

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
To support Dave here, I use to work with a Council Youth services, they also stated that the system could identify "deliquents" kids falling out of the school system etc from the age of 7 if not earlier!

I have heard from 3 teachers that 7 is a key age and by that time you have set them on the road they will follow, of course there are always exceptions to that but as a pretty acurate rule of thumb they say it works. It's because they are guided by the environment they live in, if Dad effs and blinds they think its OK, if people around them dont see the benefit of being a solid member of society then neither will they.

Having 3 of my own from 11-16 I tend to agree with that.

Make the most of them being tiny it doesn't last long they soon grow up.

Wow sorry that was a bit deep for me:bla::bla::bla:

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
I support what Dave said.

When I was about 7 years old, my friends and I put all our class mates into groups. Thick, tarty, brainy etc...

These groupings are identical to this day. Many of the girls who started schools with pierced ears and heeled shoes are now teenage mothers. It was harsh, prejudiced labelling, but it turned out to be true. Only 4 people from my primary school class went to university. All 4 of these were in the brainy group.

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
Seven ages: first puking and mewling,
Then very pissed off with one's schooling,
Then fucks, and then fights,
Then judging chaps' rights,
Then sitting in slippers, then drooling

All the worlds a stage and man plays many parts

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
The current Mrs Of Pevensey Bay is a primary school teacher (year 2) in west London and what Dave says rings pretty much true. Based on what she says (and what my dad says; he's been a teacher for 30ish years) the best advice I can offer you is ALWAYS back up what the teacher says*. That's the best way kids learn to respect their teachers AND their parents in the long run.

[size=-8]*Except in the obvious, exceptional, circumstances. But despite what you might read in the media, these occur less than once every four blue moons.[/size]

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The ultimate threat for our daughter is that she doesn't go to school; she's heartbroken at the very idea (as a 4-year-old, she has now idea that we have no intention of not sending her :) )

I wonder how long it will be before she dreads the prospect of going to school - my guess is when she starts doing algebra and French irregular verbs.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
My son started school 4 weeks ago and loves it.. personally i loved school (not necessarilly for the subjects) right up till sixth form, which was the biggest let down ever!

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
My boy started in preschool as well 3 weeks ago and he absolutely loves it, we can't get him out of there.

I can understand what DTG is saying but I look at it another way (probably a bit more sceptically) the children are starting to develop into their own personalities and showing traits of what they may become. As with everything this allows them to be pigeon holed or categories and possible affects they way that they are handled (not literally before some smart alec jumps in). This therefore does lead to them living up to the summary, but it is far from a pattern laid in stone.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I know my first who is now starting his 2nd year at school has changed considerably since he started.
He still enjoys it though which is the main thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here