Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My first sauna; will I need exfoliating gloves?

I'm 51 and the next item on my list of "things to do before I die" is to take a sauna, which I have booked this weekend, but I'm not entirely sure what to do . For example, I understand showering is involved, but is this done before or after? (It's a good job snow isn't still on the ground or I'd probably go and roll about in it). Does the dirt need to be rubbed from the pores and if so, how do you reach those awkward places? Will my glasses de-steam after a while? The only guide from the joint is that "swimming costumes must be worn", even in the non-mixed sessions, so any advice would be appreciated.

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
Drink plenty of water,hour or 2 after could become bit dizzy/light headed otherwise, shower before sauna,go in sauna and stay in as long as poss for the 1st time,come out shower,then go back in,you will only stay in for half the amount of time after,well its like this for me anyway.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
On my recent holiday to lapland, I was informed that the correct pronunciation is 'sow-na' (sow as in female pig).

So, make sure you pronounce it correctly!

(I never got round to using one, so no advice there. Sorry)

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Drink plenty of water,hour or 2 after could become bit dizzy/light headed otherwise, shower before sauna,go in sauna and stay in as long as poss for the 1st time,come out shower,then go back in,you will only stay in for half the amount of time after,well its like this for me anyway.

Fcuk me it sounds like torture.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The russains apparently like to spend a bit of time in the sauna, naked, then run out and roll in the snow for a few minutes before returning to the sauna, and repeat.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Just start off gently to start with and gradually add more water to the coals (which creates waves of heat). You will find that you will come out in beads of sweat within a minute of going in there but once you're used to it, you'll want it hotter.

It's nice if you can come out after 15 minutes, have a shower quickly then a quick swim, then back in the sauna.

Enjoy it mate...it's lovely :thumbsup:

Mortdecai

Aug 6, 2009
Kirkkonummi, Finland
Saunas are excellent. I have one at home. Basically, just shower normally then go into the sauna. When the conditions get too much just go and shower again and then go back into the sauna and repeat. When you've finally finished in the sauna shower again. Normally, I come out of the sauna and go and sit outside and have a beer beoire showering and going back in. But lately it's been around -25C so I didn't stay out too long.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
The idea of a sauna is to open the pores on your skin, this is a goood way to clean your skin as when you sweat all the crap and rubbish will come out.

The first shower as you come out, should be cold and this cleans your body washing the sweat off but will also automatically due to the tempreture being cold, will close your pores again.

When you get a full shower when you get changed, I guarantee you will never feel as refreshed and clean again!

Mortdecai

Aug 6, 2009
Kirkkonummi, Finland
Infact, I am gonna go to the sauna tonight. I may even have a roll around in the snow too, cos it's about 3 feet deep outside my back door.

btw, if the sauna room is large begin by sitting on the lowest seats before trying the seats higher up. Also, I suggest removing and jewellery, chains etc.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Infact, I am gonna go to the sauna tonight. I may even have a roll around in the snow too, cos it's about 3 feet deep outside my back door.

btw, if the sauna room is large begin by sitting on the lowest seats before trying the seats higher up. Also, I suggest removing and jewellery, chains etc.

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

Mortdecai

Aug 6, 2009
Kirkkonummi, Finland
Unfortunately, I have an electric sauna, the wood burning ones are the best. It's a completely diffent type of heat. The wood burning sauna is the only reason I go to our summer cottage, apart fron the fishing.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Coals? I know this is Mansfield but I was hoping it would be a bit more modern than that!

Most saunas have a heat saurce and it's usually hot coal which is heated by electric...or a substitute of coal. You ladle on water to give you a "heat wave"....an intense heat rush

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow
Sadly, most saunas in this country are a waste of time. You really need to go to the Continent - and discover the wonders of the Aufguss. That will open your pores !

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you're Avram Grant, you're kidding no one.

Mortdecai

Aug 6, 2009
Kirkkonummi, Finland
They use sauna stones, not coal, that fit in the sauna heating unit. The smaller stones at the bottom so they surround the heating elements in the electric units to conduct the heat and the slightly larger stones on top to ladle the water on to create the steam.

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
I had the pleasure of going to Finland in October after meeting two female blondes in London back in July

Had the delight of sitting in a sauna (sow-na) with them sweating my bits off and then going outside to swim in the lake

you won't be able to wear glasses as they'll steam up and the metal arms would become too hot

once you go in, there are normally three levels, sit on the lower on first to aclimatise as the hot air rises to the top. on the top row sit the crazy locals and in the corners are the extreme head cases where the heat is unbearable.

to give you an idea of what the heat is like when they put the water on coals , on the second level, well if you have a two bar portable heater, put your face 1 foot from it and count to 5. after the lake and back for two hours you feel the best ever !!

everyone should do it, although two blondes 13 years my junior in bikinis may have clouded my judgement !!!

onthebeach

Jul 15, 2009
My first sauna; will I need exfoliating gloves?

Just take condoms you will be fine !!!!!

Mortdecai

Aug 6, 2009
Kirkkonummi, Finland
Excellent way to cure a hangover too, just sweat it out.

I admit, the locals in the public saunas probably spend all day in them, sitting right at the top and constantly thowing the water on the stones. I can certainly put a newbie off. The one I went to even had a woman working the shower rooms so that the patrons could lay on a table and get lathered up with a couple of large soapy mops. I think she was there to subsidise her pension though :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here