Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My Conclusions From Today's Game

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I'll be honest and say that a lot of my admiration for Dicker originates from previous games. However, I wouldn't describe his performance today as terrible. He was very calm in possession I thought and was quite composed. Opinions, hey!

Opinions indeed, it's what makes football the passionate game.

I see you have a nice picture of Russell Slade at Orient as an avatar!

Seems appropriate with todays news!

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I'll be honest and say that a lot of my admiration for Dicker originates from previous games. However, I wouldn't describe his performance today as terrible. He was very calm in possession I thought and was quite composed. Opinions, hey!

he's a great player but he gave the ball away unchallenged so many times. He kept running into danger when he got forward.

I think it was him that hit the bar though.

I was just annoyed the team never turned up. We lost nearly ever header and tackle, and most passes were underhit and put us under pressusre.

As for the two goals, the comedyfending was back

Barnes needs to beef up, spent most of the time on the floor

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Just back. Not convinced with Barnes and I've yet to see Holroyd shoot. We shouldn't have given Flinders stick as its obvious he would then play a blinder. I also think the wind should have been given MOM as I'm sure the first goal blew in and the second ones curve was definitely wind assisted.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
13. Is it possible that teams are working us out? 4-5-1 can be blocked reasonably easily if you are expecting it and if you set up to play on the counter-attack. Without real star players performing well, 4-5-1 could end up delivering a lot of draws next year.

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
Looks like we're victims of our recent run. i.e virtually safe, looked at league table, mentally switching off.
I say, strip them naked and make them run back from Hartlepool.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Just back. Not convinced with Barnes and I've yet to see Holroyd shoot. We shouldn't have given Flinders stick as its obvious he would then play a blinder. I also think the wind should have been given MOM as I'm sure the first goal blew in and the second ones curve was definitely wind assisted.

:lol:

It sounded like a poor display all round today (& a crap way of repaying the brilliant efforts of the 380 Albion wot traipsed up to Beautiful 'Pools).

Hey-ho, I guess our lil' bubble had to burst eventially innit. Here's to G&T getting things sorted in the week - & a much better display at Withers on Sat.

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
13. Is it possible that teams are working us out? 4-5-1 can be blocked reasonably easily if you are expecting it and if you set up to play on the counter-attack. Without real star players performing well, 4-5-1 could end up delivering a lot of draws next year.

Gus commented today that Pool changed formation twice ..." which is a compliment to us "
I say..well done to the Pool manager who clearly out thought Gus and ended up winning the game.
Despite our style of play improving, I am yet to be convinced that Gus is a tactical genius.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I think it is unlikely that we will play 4-5-1 next season. I think we will find a quality striker to partner Murray (or two quality strikers if Murray does not sign a new deal, which I assume he will be offered with only a year left on his contract).

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Just got back to Brighton. Sorry if someone has said this but today's 3 changes (Crofts, Murray and Painter out) gave the side an unbalanced feel to it. Maybe even exposed the impression we have of a strong back up to the squad. I believe that had Painter been at left back, those two goals wouldn't have happened.

But no way am I going to feel down about today. We have got ourselves almost safe and are heading in the right direction under Gus and MT.

Most surreal moment for me was seeing, and waving to, a work colleague in the Hartlepool crowd to the left. He's from there but lives in Hove. Weird.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Just got home, and just watched the goal highlights.

Elphick was not fouled for their first, he slipped. He was poor today, defensively and distribution.

Hoyte is miles out of his depth (yes out of position I know); Hendrie and Arismendi need to fight for a place, they borth looked a bit disinterested. Dicker was very poor, but to be fair he kept trying and was very efffective in the last 10 minutes, includding one off the bar.

Gus, I'm sorry to say the oppo can quite easily put a game plan together to snuff out 451, so you need to stay flexible.

A long long way to go to see our poorest show yet under GP, I expect some teacups to have sufffered in the aftermath.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Think on balance I'll agree with the above.

We did lots of pretty moves in the first half but without really creating any cast iron chances. Murray is good enough & experienced enough to be the one up front on his own but Barnes, hard though he works, doesn't look suited to that role and seemed in need of support. The midfield lacked bite without Crofts, and Hoyte just doesn't seem up to it in place of Painter. Three first choice players out and it showed.

Arismendi looked strong when he came on, Hendrie flattered to deceive, and while Elphick had a poor game, let's not ruin him over that, he's
played well recently.

Hopefully when the missing players get back we'll improve again, although today was possibly the wake up call needed to bring back down to earth all those who thought we were suddenly promotion candidates on the back of a few decent scores.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Hartlepool looked like a side with something to play for and we didn't. Were out fought in all areas of the pitch and as previous posters have stated Hoyte and Barnes in particular looked out of their depth. Thought the fans were in good voice today and fair play to Flinders for having a great game and taking the banter given out in good humour and appaulding the Albion fans at the end of the game. Other bizarre/funny moments included the Hartlepool monkey performing some kind of dance routine to Two Little Boys, A great new song for big Pete Brezovan and a poor woman taking a ball straight to the face in the warm up.

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Hartlepool looked like a side with something to play for and we didn't. Were out fought in all areas of the pitch and as previous posters have stated Hoyte and Barnes in particular looked out of their depth. Thought the fans were in good voice today and fair play to Flinders for having a great game and taking the banter given out in good humour and appaulding the Albion fans at the end of the game. Other bizarre/funny moments included the Hartlepool monkey performing some kind of dance routine to Two Little Boys, A great new song for big Pete Brezovan and a poor woman taking a ball straight to the face in the warm up.

You say this, but we COMPLETELY dominated in the first half, Hartlepool looked utterly lost and had we nicked a goal I'm sure we'd have gone on to thrash them. It's a funny old game.

I wasn't at the game but everyone is entitled to make a mistake. Elphick has been fantastic recently so it is ridiculous to say get rid over one mistake, however bad it was.

It's not one mistake, and the mistakes are not unique.
The guy should take authority over a ball that's at his feet with a defender breathing down his neck. I was thinking "please just put the ball out for a throw Elphick", but instead he did his USUAL Frank Spencer and went into "I'm a little teapot, and a part time ballet dancer - look how elegant I am running slowly" when the urgency of the situation got played out for him as he lay there on the ground.
"please Mr Linesman, did you not see that nasty opposing player taking advantage of my pussyfooting??"

Get rid, the guy ought never be playing football in that state - keep the ballet dancing for Swan Lake Elphick, take off the football shirt and put on a tutu.
He's rubbish. Fact. And I don't care if he does score the occasional header and make pathetic gesticulations to the North Stand press area - he's cost us a lot of goals this season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It's not one mistake, and the mistakes are not unique.
The guy should take authority over a ball that's at his feet with a defender breathing down his neck. I was thinking "please just put the ball out for a throw Elphick", but instead he did his USUAL Frank Spencer and went into "I'm a little teapot, and a part time ballet dancer - look how elegant I am running slowly" when the urgency of the situation got played out for him as he lay there on the ground.
"please Mr Linesman, did you not see that nasty opposing player taking advantage of my pussyfooting??"

Get rid, the guy ought never be playing football in that state - keep the ballet dancing for Swan Lake Elphick, take off the football shirt and put on a tutu.
He's rubbish. Fact. And I don't care if he does score the occasional header and make pathetic gesticulations to the North Stand press area - he's cost us a lot of goals this season.

:bla: You've now used 4 threads to make your WANK comments - well done we're all looking at you

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Despite our style of play improving, I am yet to be convinced that Gus is a tactical genius.

He probably isn't.
But he's managed to devise a system of play that has proved to be far more effective in getting results for us than the previous incumbants had managed, AND he's instilled a bit of confidence and self-belief in a group of players who 4 or 5 months ago looked shot to bits. They've bought into to the style of play he is preaching, and the result is that we are *almost* safe.

Slowly but surely its coming together. Thats not to say there won't be more days like yesterday, I'm sure Gus would admit we are nowhere near the finished article yet. He doesn't HAVE to be a tactical genius, he just needs to get the best out of the players he's got - and so far, I reckon he's doing exactly that.

He probably isn't.
But he's managed to devise a system of play that has proved to be far more effective in getting results for us than the previous incumbants had managed, AND he's instilled a bit of confidence and self-belief in a group of players who 4 or 5 months ago looked shot to bits. They've bought into to the style of play he is preaching, and the result is that we are *almost* safe.

Slowly but surely its coming together. Thats not to say there won't be more days like yesterday, I'm sure Gus would admit we are nowhere near the finished article yet. He doesn't HAVE to be a tactical genius, he just needs to get the best out of the players he's got - and so far, I reckon he's doing exactly that.

About the size of it.
He's also shown a lot of patience and foresight, that hints that he knows he has to work with what he's got whether he likes them or not.

His handling of the Forster affair underlines that he will not let any one player compromise his management, or disturb the focus and discipline in the dressing room.
He didn't even want NF anywhere inside the ground once Forster had upset him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here