Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My 10-point plan for Wimbledon coverage to make it relevant

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I actually like tennis, at its best it is a great sport with two people putting it all out there a bit gladiatorial-like.

But the Wimbledon coverage makes me cringe, and I think probably puts off millions more sporty kids than it attracts. It is the epitome of 'uncool'. The whole aim is targeting middle-class women viewers from the Shires. We know kids from less privileged backgrounds with ability are choosing other sports.

So here it is.

1) Ditch Sue Barker immediately. She isn't that bad a broadcaster, but has come to symbolise the establishment, and is way too twee.
2) Ban all people involved in All England Club (eg Tim Henman) from being involved in punditry while still in that role. Too cosy.
3) Put a rocket up the journalists' arse. What is the biggest story to come out this year - another Centre/No1 Court controversy? They need to remember their job, dig deeper, and ruffle some feathers/create headlines.
4) A major overhaul of Barker's support cast. John Lloyd, Virginia Wade etc. McEnroe puts most to shame with his insight and lack of craven respect for authority.
5) Stop obsessing about British losers in early rounds, and concentrate more on the best players in the world.
6) There is more to talk about than the weather.
7) Clare Balding should stick to horses.
8) I couldn't give a shite which royals are in attendance.
9) Have some better features about success (or failure) of tennis at grass roots
10) Ask some proper questions about how LTA has wasted all the millions it gets.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
11) If Cliff Richard turns up, he is fair game to anybody with any sort of weapon.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
14) Make the players shout 'WHACK', 'BOSH' or 'HAVE THAT' when they hit a ball particularly hard.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I'm not much of a tennis fan but one thing I've never got about the coverage on TV is why they show about 10 mins of the players warming up. I can't think of any other sporting broadcast that does this.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
They should also eject any spectators who insist on uttering the lame "Come on Tim/Andy/whoever" between every point.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
14) Ask how the LTA can justify the tens and tens of frequently seen empty seats on the show courts when there are people camping outside just to get into Wimbledon, never mind the show courts. Would be far more interesting than the weather/royalty/plucky Brit bollox they fill in with.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'm not much of a tennis fan but one thing I've never got about the coverage on TV is why they show about 10 mins of the players warming up. I can't think of any other sporting broadcast that does this.

Sky's football broadcasts, whilst talking about the team/certain players etc, ok its puntuated by ad breaks but its similar in length

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I agree about the cloying irritation of Sue Barker, the ever smug Andrew Castle, and Virginia Wade, whose voice carries a permanent note of someone who's just been told her kitten's been run over.

But I can't really see what Clare Balding does wrong, to be honest. She knows her stuff and she doesn't quite kiss Murray's arse to the same embarrassing degree that Barker does.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
13) When someone hits an incredible passing shot they have to play the darts theme song over the PA system.

I like that one, just have to find the right time to play it. End of a set?

Maybe for a passing shot it could be THOSE few bars of Blur's Song 2.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
They should also eject any spectators who insist on uttering the lame "Come on Tim/Andy/whoever" between every point.

This ruling should also be applied in golf to any fuckwit shouting "get in the hole" immediately after a player has just tee'd off on a par 5.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
But I can't really see what Clare Balding does wrong, to be honest. She knows her stuff and she doesn't quite kiss Murray's arse to the same embarrassing degree that Barker does.

But Balding does look like a crescent moon and that's just too freaky for TV.
images

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I actually like tennis, at its best it is a great sport with two people putting it all out there a bit gladiatorial-like.

But the Wimbledon coverage makes me cringe, and I think probably puts off millions more sporty kids than it attracts. It is the epitome of 'uncool'. The whole aim is targeting middle-class women viewers from the Shires. We know kids from less privileged backgrounds with ability are choosing other sports.

So here it is.

1) Ditch Sue Barker immediately. She isn't that bad a broadcaster, but has come to symbolise the establishment, and is way too twee.
2) Ban all people involved in All England Club (eg Tim Henman) from being involved in punditry while still in that role. Too cosy.
3) Put a rocket up the journalists' arse. What is the biggest story to come out this year - another Centre/No1 Court controversy? They need to remember their job, dig deeper, and ruffle some feathers/create headlines.
4) A major overhaul of Barker's support cast. John Lloyd, Virginia Wade etc. McEnroe puts most to shame with his insight and lack of craven respect for authority.
5) Stop obsessing about British losers in early rounds, and concentrate more on the best players in the world.
6) There is more to talk about than the weather.
7) Clare Balding should stick to horses.
8) I couldn't give a shite which royals are in attendance.
9) Have some better features about success (or failure) of tennis at grass roots
10) Ask some proper questions about how LTA has wasted all the millions it gets.

Why don't you go & avoid all 10?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Why don't you go & avoid all 10?

I see. So your suggestion is that, err, millions of us ignore the wall to wall coverage on two channels for a fortnight and all get down to Centre Court every day.

As Blackadder might say, 'It's a brilliant plan. Apart from one, teency, weency flaw. It's bollocks.'

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I would like to see them replace all the tennis balls with cricket balls, and the tennis bats with cricket bats. For a laugh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here