Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Muzza's 'goal' Sat...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was also in line with Murray and he was definitely offside. I didn't celebrate either because the first thing I did was look over to the linesman.
The camera in those shots is in the centre of the stand whereas the Brighton fans were well to the left.

The screamer

NSC's biggest geek
Apr 2, 2010
Portsmouth
Soon as it was going in, before the flag was raised both me and my mate at exactly the same time said 'offside' I was in line with it, lineo got the decision spot on

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Ya boo sucks. It is interesting to know whether the decision was a correct one.

Interesting frames in your thread. Frame 4 is the moment when Bennett kicks the ball and in that Murray looks actually behind the centre back. I was behind the goal so I couldn't say but to all those in line and saying he was off, because of the nature of the ball which was a bit of loopy slow one (rather than a flat) one Murray could have looked yards offside when he actually nodded it in as he would have been running onto it and the defenders moving it.

Still it is gone. Win tonight and it is all forgotten about.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Argus' Brian Owen put on Twitter:
"watching the replay it seems Murray was about a foot the right side of defender Pearce and the Brighton 'goal' wasn't offside #bhafc"

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Third picture is the smoking gun, thats onside.

Oh well.

I'm not sure if you're joking or not but please accept it was offside - it wasn't even close!

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
"watching the replay it seems Murray was about a foot the right side of defender Pearce and the Brighton 'goal' wasn't offside #bhafc"

He's wrong as well then. Anyway the replay would be from the same angle as the stills, i.e the wrong one.

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
As many others have said, i was in-line with the incident and he looked between half a yard to a yard offside. If i was the lino in that situation, had it not been Brighton, my flag definitely would have gone up. In most sports camera angles don't show the whole thing. Cricket springs to mind as one angle shows something different to another. And let's just say that this isn't the best angle to see the incident.

Was there anyone who was in-line with it that thought he was on? as so far everyone who was thought it was offside.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I'm not sure if you're joking or not but please accept it was offside - it wasn't even close!
attachment.php

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That static image tells you nothing, as you can't tell what movement people have made. The defender may have taken a step BACK after the ball was kicked, for example.

People who were sat in line with it, have suggested he WAS half a yard offside - that's good enough for me, as I'd rather move on without dwelling on even more 'injustice'.

Sorry Si but don't agree. Muzza was moving towards goal and the defender was fairly static which gonig by your theory would suggest he was even more onside! Pause it on the beeb highlights exactly when Benno hits the ball and the picture is virtually the same...

As others have said though we must move on and it's true some you get some you don't - unfortunately we seem to be more in the 'don't get' section more than the 'do' section this yr...!

As for people who were inline - surely that still proves it was on?! Granted in real time speed it is hard to tell but technology here proves it's on?1

Oh and Cecil - SHUT UP :)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If you are in line... are you offside? stupid question I know but...

If you're in line you are onside, however, if any part of your body from which you can score (i.e. any part of your body except your arms) is closer ot the goal than your opponent your offside. Looking at those stills from the awkward angle, it looks to me like Murray's head is closer to the goal than any part of the defender's body, but as others have said static pictures from this angle are not the best to judge it by and we should move on.

It looks very close, and I imagine the people inline who thought he was 'clearly' offside perhaps didn't see the man in the middle who *might* be playing him on, though again, it looks to me as iff Murray's head is further forward. It is fractional, but eough for it not to be a massive miscarriage of justice, imo.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

And Andy Naylor has said today in his Q & A that the press box was even further back than the tv cameras, so how he can state that when he was further away. Murray was offside, not just a bit but a yard offside.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Most of us in the south stand thought it was a good goal, well taken. :yahoo:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It looks very close, and I imagine the people inline who thought he was 'clearly' offside perhaps didn't see the man in the middle who *might* be playing him on, though again, it looks to me as iff Murray's head is further forward. It is fractional, but eough for it not to be a massive miscarriage of justice, imo.

The man in the middle was closer to us than Muzza and I could see Muzza clearly so he was in front of the man in the middle.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The man in the middle was closer to us than Muzza and I could see Muzza clearly so he was in front of the man in the middle.

Fair enough. I thought if you were the other side, murray would be blocking your view of him, but that's not the case.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
My first reaction was that he was offside, but the pictures do make me question it. Difficult to be sure with the angle though and also you can't see if it's his head that is offside for example

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here