Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Muttiah Muralitharan

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Or, put another way, in lab conditions his action was illegal, so they changed the rules.

Yes, because it was discovered that as the laws stood, just about every bowler had an illegal action.

And then out on the pitch it became politically unacceptable to no ball him.

What the hell is that meant to mean? You think Sri Lanka runs world cricket? SL has one representative on the ICC board so it scarcely has undue influence.

And there have been plenty of bowlers forced out test cricket because of their action: I can think of Geoff Griffin, Ian Meckiff and Dusty Rhodes in my lifetime. Not to mention our very own James Kirtley - so the idea that test match umpires would be wary about no-balling someone for throwing is very wide of the mark.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Didn't they change the rules because they discovered that 99% of bowlers technically chucked?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Yes, because it was discovered that as the laws stood, just about every bowler had an illegal action.

What the hell is that meant to mean? You think Sri Lanka runs world cricket? SL has one representative on the ICC board so it scarcely has undue influence.

And there have been plenty of bowlers forced out test cricket because of their action: I can think of Geoff Griffin, Ian Meckiff and Dusty Rhodes in my lifetime. Not to mention our very own James Kirtley - so the idea that test match umpires would be wary about no-balling someone for throwing is very wide of the mark.

Like is said at the start - I, along with many others believe he chucks it. You, along with many others, don't. Nobody's going to change their mind, fair enough.

A verbatim copy of the 2004 investigation into his doosra can be found Bowling Report: Testing Muralitharans Doosra | Sri Lanka Cricket if anyone is interested.

Basically, it was found that, at the time, the doosra was illegal. However, at the subsequent champions trophy, it was found that under the criteria of the time the vast majority of bowlers had an 'illegal' action, so the rules were changed.

The bigger issue, for me, with Murali is his natural deformity which gives him a massive advantage. Is it fair that he is allowed to bowl with a crooked arm, just because he cannot straighten that arm?

all bowlers are allowed to bowl with a crooked arm as long as it STAYS crooked throughout the delivery acttion.

What you are NOT allowed to do is STRAIGTEN the elbow DURING the delivery action. That of course, would be throwing the ball

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Or, put another way, in lab conditions his action was illegal, so they changed the rules. And then out on the pitch it became politically unacceptable to no ball him.

Small minded curtain twitching envious TWAT.

Well done Murali :thumbsup:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
A legend, will that ever be beaten?

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Like is said at the start - I, along with many others believe he chucks it. You, along with many others, don't. Nobody's going to change their mind, fair enough.

The problem with that statement is that it is not true. He does not "chuck" it as his arm does not straighten.

I accept there were differing opinions as to the legality of his action and the circumstances of the rule change but to say he "chucks it" is inflammatory and wrong.

So well done Murali, deservedly the greatest off spinner the world has ever seen.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
There's an obvious difference between saying his action is illegal and saying he's a chucker, as Paddy B points out.

Okay, I'm not sure the difference is obvious, but I take your point that 'chucker' might be a tad inflammatory. In fairness, if you look back I did say that I hope he does it. He's a fantastic human being who appears to be very humble and does alot of unseen, unheard of work for the less privilaged. I just don't believe his action is 'proper'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here