Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mustapha Carayol

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Tough one, this.

He was massively underwhelming in his loan spell last year, yet when I've seen him in the past he's looked absolutely MUSTARD.

Was it that:

a. He was just coming back from a long term injury, and he has much more to offer?
b. The long term injury has broken him and he's now bang average?
c. He's one of these players that simply cannot be arsed on loan?

A quandary.

Decisions ... decisions ...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Same could be said for KLL. We've got him flying atm. Bit of tlc on him could reap rewards

His loan could be down to culture shock, coming from that craphole to Brighton. Took time to adjust to a view

I'm sure Carayol doesn't live in Crapsville, Teeside, just has to go there for training and to play home games.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
if him or nothing then no brainer.

Prefer 2 better but if we got 1 decent winger and him we at least have options

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I find this situation very confusing. Boro fans think he had a falling out with Karanka yet they offered him a contract extension which he signed. If they don't want him playing for them in the Championship I very much doubt they'd want him in the Prem (which is clearly their strong ambition with the about of money they're throwing around). With a full pre season behind him you would hope he has regained his match fitness which he seemed to lack playing for us at the end of last season... I'd much rather sign him permanently than loan him for a season.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
If we cannot get 2 of Marshall, Murphy or Bennett then Carayol would be ok with me.

Like KLL in a 442 he will look a much better player and will be fit this time around.

We need 2 wingers desperately still.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Tough one, this.

He was massively underwhelming in his loan spell last year, yet when I've seen him in the past he's looked absolutely MUSTARD.

Was it that:

a. He was just coming back from a long term injury, and he has much more to offer?
b. The long term injury has broken him and he's now bang average?
c. He's one of these players that simply cannot be arsed on loan?

A quandary.

There's always:

d. He's inconsistent -- like most wingers

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
did'nt he just sign a two year contract with Boro?
free or nominal fee, definitely not on loan thanks

That's what I thought. I remember him being down here for the month, getting fit(ter) and then going back up there to be in their squad (against us) as it was announced he'd signed a new deal.

I remember it being very strange at the time...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Good player. But I would go for Will Buckley as Buckley is not injured so often.

so often as what, as Andy Carroll? Buckley is never coming back, he left a bit awkwardly neither side would be interested. make your peace with this.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
He was not good enough to play in our team that itself was not got enough last season. Unless he was that bad because of an injury (in which case why was he out on loan?) he can't be worth getting back.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He looked completely unfit in his loan spell so unfair to judge him on that.

Which begs the question why would we have recruited a completely unfit player on a short-term loan?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
He was not good enough to play in our team that itself was not got enough last season. Unless he was that bad because of an injury (in which case why was he out on loan?) he can't be worth getting back.

lots of our players were not good enough last year, a change of style and tactics is all thats needed sometimes to suit the players you have.

Lua Lua was poor in large parts last season... now has started the season very well, all because he is in a 442 and is collecting the ball much higher up the pitch.

And as you stated he had just returned from a serious injury.

He's is still by no means my first choice, Marshall Murphy and Bennett, 2 of those 3 would be my preference.
But Carayol if not would not be a bad option in my opinion.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What NSC match ratings did Carayol get last year?

I'm not even sure I saw him play, or if I did he left no impression on me ???

albionite

May 20, 2009
Not sure on this one, did nothing of note when here on loan(yes I know some say he was unfit). Why would boro let us have him if he was back to his best and could make us challenge for top 6.

Would rather we went for someone already in form instead of the gamble.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here