music lovers, excuse my innocence

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
When will there be a haaarvest....... for the wooooooooorrrrllllllld!!!!:rave:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Been around for years; used to member of boring 'supergroup' Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

His solo stuff after CSN&Y is better though. After the Goldrush, Harvest and On the Beach were must-have albums when I was at school.

Has done other stuff since but haven't really listened to him since the 70s.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
If no one has every heard of the song called....

Boy named Sue.

DO

By Jonny Cash.Great stuff

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
Can't remember what it's called, but the album with "Piece of Crap" on is a cracker

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Decade has got to be one of the best single artist compilation albums although it only really covers his early solo stuff. Some excellent guitar riffs though like Ohio, A man needs a maid, Heart of gold. Not only could he write good music, but the lyrics often tell a story, Cortez the Killer, Powderfinger, Broken Arrow, Sugar Mountain etc. Live albums also worked really well for him.

Some of the stuff in his middle years is not so good as he was not happy with his record label. Otherwise their is so much good stuff.

Definately up their or above the giants like Greatful dead, zappa, doors, beatles, floyd and zep.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Great get high to music.

If you like Neil Young, see also Nick Drake

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Of the slightly more recent stuff, try "Downtown" off 'Mirrorball" - a real stomper.

There's a place called Downtown
Where the hippies all go
And they dance the charleston
And they do the limbo
Yeah the hippies all go there
'Cause they want to be seen
It's like a room
full of pictures
It's like a psychedelic dream

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye...

I liked the Zuma album also as well as earlier stuff mentioned by Gwylan.

He went a bit right wing / farm aid for a while in the eighties...

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
chip said:
Decade has got to be one of the best single artist compilation albums...

Seconded.

'Decade' is a damn good place to start getting into Neil Young – 2 CDs of quality stuff from his early years.

I'd then recommend 'Weld', a live double CD from 1991. Amazon says: "if you're looking for a live document of Neil Young and Crazy Horse at their speaker-shredding, stage-scorching best, Weld is an absolute must-own. Fired up by the success of 1990's Ragged Glory, and outraged by the eruption of the Gulf War, Young and his cohorts attacked their 1991 tour like men on a suicide mission. An angry, gunshot-laced version of Dylan's "Blowin' in the Wind" is the closest thing here to an acoustic reverie; the rest of the album offers up staggeringly intense electric versions of Neil songs both current ("Crime in the City," "Love to Burn," "Rockin' in the Free World") and classic ("Cortez the Killer," "Cinnamon Girl," "Powderfinger"). The back-cover photo of a disheveled Young cradling a broken-stringed guitar pretty much says it all--no one could have unleashed a sonic onslaught this brutal, and emerged unscathed from the experience."

(Early pressing of this came with a bonus disc 'Arc'. It's 33 minutes of nothing but feedback, and possibly one of the least accessible recordings ever issued!)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Whoever said Boy Named Sue is a legend. I can't believe Cash is dead..Like a bit of Rodgers as well actually.. but the best has to be the Beatles..

"Semolina pilchards, climbing up the Eiffel Tower. Elementary penguins singing Harie Krishna, man you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.. I am the Eggman, I am the Eggman, I am the Walrus.. Ko Ko Ka Chue." Or something..

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Juan Albion said:
What's wrong with FarmAid?

Not sure if anything is, so forgive my flippant comment. I always connect it (maybe unfairly) to Neil Young and his Hawks and Doves period and the conservative political songs on that album.

It also seemed to me at the time a little obscene for Dylan and Young to be raising millions for US Farmers right after Live Aid, but maybe US family farmers are equally as deserving of charity as anyone else..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here