Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Music for your wake …

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My x brother in law had this…( he was a great bloke and a rock n roller, unfortunately not someone you wanted married to your sister, he up went on a two year world tour with Hawkwind, without informing anyone. )

Amazing tune

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I really like the idea of this. Sounds very appropriate to your brother-in-law.
Yea he was a top man, he and my sister split ( obviously) 30 odd years ago but we always kept in touch he toured with the UK subs, Hawkwind , the Do da dog Bonzo band and many others .a rock n roll life style which ended at 56 due to drugs, in a way quite fitting.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My father died during Covid, and the minimal gathering were treated to Sussex by the Sea as he entered the crematorium and he went out to Paint it Black by the Stones.

Purely by coincidence, the hearse driver turned out to be an old school friend and Albion fan who took my father on an unplanned last drive to the AMEX…a nice touch.

As for me, Sussex by the Sea, Sympathy for the Devil, my favourite song, and something uplifting maybe a Hot Chip number.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
In all honesty I’m not bothered by any of the funeral stuff.

45 minutes of a few people waffling on about how lovely you were, in a conference room with a coffin in the corner before they shoo you out, ready for the next grieving mob.

I’d rather not have one. Genuinely.

Send me off to the furnace without the ceremony.
My brother in law took this view and didn't want any kind of event. He died 3 years ago of cancer and his partner refused to hold any kind of ceremony. I think this made it harder for his close friends and family to deal with the grieving process as they never felt they had the chance to say goodbye and then move on. My health is very precarious so I may be facing this over the next few years and what this showed me is that these ceremonies are more for the people that are left than the person who has departed.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If I were really to pick (quite into this now 🤣)

Sons of - Scott Walker

Would have to feature. Simply beautiful, poignant, heartbreaking song.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
My brother in law took this view and didn't want any kind of event. He died 3 years ago of cancer and his partner refused to hold any kind of ceremony. I think this made it harder for his close friends and family to deal with the grieving process as they never felt they had the chance to say goodbye and then move on. My health is very precarious so I may be facing this over the next few years and what this showed me is that these ceremonies are more for the people that are left than the person who has departed.
Some sort of 'closure' event can be very useful in the grieving/remembering process,👍... with a group of people too (IMO).

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I get the ritual and closure a funeral can give.

Having gone to three funerals in quick succession, my mum, Dad, and Brother (who died suddenly at aged 39) in the space of three months I’m a little jaded.

I just find the summing up of a life in 45 minutes in a conference room style environment is all a bit underwhelming.

Being a lifelong lover of the outdoors, particularly forest and woodland I would perhaps concede to being cremated with no guests but then having my ashes scattered in woodland on the Downs with very close friends present. Perhaps someone could read a poem. Then a walk to a country pub for a roast.

Yeah, that’ll do me.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
This is honestly true.

My Mother in Law was cremated about 8 years ago, and as the curtains closed around the coffin, her favourite song played.

Smoke gets in your eyes, by the Platters.

I couldn’t understand why I was the only one who found it funny.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
At my mums 90th birthday a couple of weeks back she had set up a playlist of songs for the afternoon whilst we were eating.
David Essex, Robbie Williams and more stuff.
We took bets what was next, Rod Stewart or David Essex, always one or the other.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This has been a long standing conversation amongst a certain group of my friends (two of whom have sadly had them played :down: )

For me, going in

Middle bit

As curtains close

Not for the words but simply because it's the best camp pop song ever, after those first two :thumbsup:

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Heard Sussex by the sea at a few funerals recently as the final music. Also, Professor Elemental's Cup of brown Joy, Sweet Child of Mine and Nimrod.

At my best mate's funeral, his sister decided Hotel california was his favourites song, she must have been the only one who thought so. That one also had two wakes.

I do have my grave sorted out at Clayton. It's slightly odd to sit on your own grave and still be alive.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
This is honestly true.

My Mother in Law was cremated about 8 years ago, and as the curtains closed around the coffin, her favourite song played.

Smoke gets in your eyes, by the Platters.

I couldn’t understand why I was the only one who found it funny.
My Mum chose the music from Schindlers List for hers. I don't think she got the crematoria connection and just liked the tune. It was the only one of her selections that I veto'ed.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I get the ritual and closure a funeral can give.

Having gone to three funerals in quick succession, my mum, Dad, and Brother (who died suddenly at aged 39) in the space of three months I’m a little jaded.

I just find the summing up of a life in 45 minutes in a conference room style environment is all a bit underwhelming.

Being a lifelong lover of the outdoors, particularly forest and woodland I would perhaps concede to being cremated with no guests but then having my ashes scattered in woodland on the Downs with very close friends present. Perhaps someone could read a poem. Then a walk to a country pub for a roast.

Yeah, that’ll do me.
Not too far off what I and Mrs are doing.
A very basic cremation, no guests, it can be unattended, or if our two kids want to go to that they can.
A while later, once ashes have been returned and our families feel ready for it then our ashes will be buried in our little plot in the woodland burial grounds. It’s then that there will be a gathering of any family and friends who would like to attend a happy event concentrating on just the good and happy bits of our lives. The idea of the delay is for people to get used to the fact we’ve shuttled off somewhere and hopefully won’t find the celebrations to upsetting.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not too far off what I and Mrs are doing.
A very basic cremation, no guests, it can be unattended, or if our two kids want to go to that they can.
A while later, once ashes have been returned and our families feel ready for it then our ashes will be buried in our little plot in the woodland burial grounds. It’s then that there will be a gathering of any family and friends who would like to attend a happy event concentrating on just the good and happy bits of our lives. The idea of the delay is for people to get used to the fact we’ve shuttled off somewhere and hopefully won’t find the celebrations to upsetting.
That sounds perfect. I like that very much. Good idea on the delay. What a good thought.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Heard Sussex by the sea at a few funerals recently as the final music. Also, Professor Elemental's Cup of brown Joy, Sweet Child of Mine and Nimrod.

At my best mate's funeral, his sister decided Hotel california was his favourites song, she must have been the only one who thought so. That one also had two wakes.

I do have my grave sorted out at Clayton. It's slightly odd to sit on your own grave and still be alive.
Looks like we will be neighbours then. We can talk all things Albion in the hereafter

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here