Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mushy signs for TWO more years

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/arg...var.1678700.0.mushy_signs_new_sussex_deal.php
Mushy signs new Sussex deal
Exclusive By Bruce Talbot
Comment

Mushtaq Ahmed Ahmed has signed a new contract with Sussex which will keep him at the county until the end of the 2009 season.

The 37-year-old leg-spinner agreed the deal ahead of the county's crucial Championship match against Durham, which starts at the Riverside tomorrow.

It is a massive boost for Sussex as the title race reaches its climax and ends speculation that one of the best players in the county's history might move elsewhere after Warwickshire made a formal approach to speak to him.
advertisement

Coach Mark Robinson said: "I know our supporters were concerned when Warwickshire's approach got out in the media but as far as we were concerned it was always a formality.

"Mushtaq is a Sussex legend now and was never going to play in England anywhere else. He is bowling as well as ever and it is good news ahead of another important week in the season for us."

Mushtaq, 37, has been the catalyst during the most successful period in Sussex's history and helped them win five trophies including two Championships.

In 77 first-class games since his debut in 2003 he has taken 443 wickets including 37 five-wicket hauls, the most recent in the innings win over title rivals Yorkshire last week.

He is the first division's leading wicket-taker this season with 74 victims so far.

Warwickshire were also prepared to offer him a lucrative two-year contract including the possibility of a coaching role.

Robinson added: "It is a two-year contract with no coaching or benefits - just a straightforward deal - and we're delighted he has signed it."

:mushy::mushy::):)

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Good news, lets hope Rana is still up for it these last two games, although he must have always known that Sussex would try and keep Mushy.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Good news, lets hope Rana is still up for it these last two games, although he must have always known that Sussex would try and keep Mushy.

A good opportunity for him to put himself in the shop window.

He must have known all season that Mushy was always going to be the preferred overseas player but that hasn't stopped him giving his best.

Great news about Mushy - it wouldn't surprise me to see him play on after that. Spinners often play on well into their 40s. Ray Illingworth, Flat Jack Simmonds and Eddie Hemmings were pushing 50 (or past it) when they hung up their boots and Wilfred Rhodes was still playing test cricket at 51.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Fan-bloody-tastic news. Two very important decisions this season to ensure that we maintain our place in the higher echelons of the First Division. Planning permission for our ground re-development and Mushy singing on again.

:mushy:

:mexican: :clap2:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Thats the BEST birthday present EVER!!

The only man i could ever :love:

:bowdown:

66429.jpg

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
GREAT news...the little Wizard is my HERO!

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Excellent news, but sad that Rana has to go. I can't see that one extra place per county is really going to bring on that many young English players. Couldn't they have reduced the number of kolpak (sp?) players? Anyway, Happy Birthday, Brett. I guess you're going to save a few more pubs than usual today.:drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here