Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray to palace ooooops

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'm not saying the fact they're our rivals should've made him turn them down, I don't think you read what I put. What I'm saying is *I* don't forgive him for it, *I* won't cheer him onto the pitch at the Amex. He'll get shit from Albion fans *as a result* of his choice, not that our potential reaction should govern his decision in the first place. I just think anyone spouting the "he's a professional, he doesn't care, it doesn't matter, he's just another player" is right in part - of course he doesn't care - but TO US, it DOES matter, and any Brighton fan saying it doesn't matter obviously doesn't understand football rivalry. He is our Sol Campbell, Spurs-Arsenal. Our Carlos Tevez, Utd-City. He was a key player who defected to our rivals. It doesn't matter he doesn't care. WE DO. And if you don't, I'm questioning YOU. Not him.

We didn't want to keep him that badly, bearing in mind that we don't mind paying seven figures for a player now means we could have afforded him if we wanted to but we didn't. Unlike Campbell he didn't come through our ranks so there's no comparison. I'd also bet a fair bit of money that I've been following this team for longer than you have been living judging by your childish rant so I won't bother to question you as I think you'd find it too taxing.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I'm not saying the fact they're our rivals should've made him turn them down, I don't think you read what I put. What I'm saying is *I* don't forgive him for it, *I* won't cheer him onto the pitch at the Amex. He'll get shit from Albion fans *as a result* of his choice, not that our potential reaction should govern his decision in the first place. I just think anyone spouting the "he's a professional, he doesn't care, it doesn't matter, he's just another player" is right in part - of course he doesn't care - but TO US, it DOES matter, and any Brighton fan saying it doesn't matter obviously doesn't understand football rivalry. He is our Sol Campbell, Spurs-Arsenal. Our Carlos Tevez, Utd-City. He was a key player who defected to our rivals. It doesn't matter he doesn't care. WE DO. And if you don't, I'm questioning YOU. Not him.

great post

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
great post

I see, so if you were offered more money to work for somebody you'd refuse it ? Especially if it was clear that your current employer didn't care what you did ? Why ?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
We didn't want to keep him that badly, bearing in mind that we don't mind paying seven figures for a player now means we could have afforded him if we wanted to but we didn't. Unlike Campbell he didn't come through our ranks so there's no comparison. I'd also bet a fair bit of money that I've been following this team for longer than you have been living judging by your childish rant so I won't bother to question you as I think you'd find it too taxing.

I see, so if you were offered more money to work for somebody you'd refuse it ? Especially if it was clear that your current employer didn't care what you did ? Why ?

Again, you're missing the point. I'm not questioning him. I'm not. I'm also not questioning Gus or TB - I agree with them that if we're prepared to pay, say 10k p/w for another striker, but only saw him as a 7k p/w man, and he was holding out for 10k - no player is bigger than the club. I had come to terms with him leaving in January - if we wanted him we'd've offered him a deal long ago, and the form he was in, he knew he could command a decent price elsewhere. I'm saying that if someone (whether that's you personally or not, I don't know, or particularly care) thinks they are above me because I think he's a Judas, THAT is what I question. He could have gone to 91 clubs in the football league, or 1000 others anywhere in the world, for the money, and I wouldn't've cared.

People like Gary Hart don't come along very often. There are little to no one-club men. But I'm not going to apologise for thinking he's a Judas, regardless of what you or anyone else thinks. He doesn't care, of course he doesn't. It's not like I think he reads me calling him a wanker on a football forum and that he breaks down into tears, I'm not an idiot. Brighton is in the past for him, he's counting his money and good luck to him for it, as I pointed out myself, I might well have gone for the money too. But I won't be patronised by you, or forced by you or anyone else, into forgetting that he's still left to our rivals. And for 3 hours this season I will give shit for it, because football is a tribal thing, its about passion, and its not about counting up the years you've supported the club and thinking that makes you better than me. Well done for being older than I am, if you in fact are. It obviously took a great deal of effort on your part. But it makes you no more or no less of a fan than I am. So go back to your snobbery and looking down your nose at people if you want to, if its too "taxing" for you. Personally I find it very taxing myself, trying to make a point to someone when they clearly don't read a word you say, and then are so mature themselves that they make arguments like "I'm older than you so shhh". Me childish? Pot, kettle.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
What have you guys done with all your "Glen Murray" football shirts by the way? Hope they're going to be recycled, expect to see a whole team of Murrays out in Ethiopia or somewhere on the TV the next time there's a famine appeal.

Some hopes...

Can't think I have ever seen any! He was not exactly popular here, no commitment to the shirt whatsoever! His number has been called.

Did I miss a point here.... or am I misunderstanding "didn't care what he did"?
BHA did care what he did - negotiations and a best offer were set before him and that is enough to say the club was giving him utmost respect and loyalty for scoring over 20 for the season as hoped for.
No player is guaranteed a place or a better deal, but he got the best he was going nto get from us. After that the club could be no fairer - and he went for more money from another club.

palace take a risk here, one that could backfire. Please.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Can't say I'm that fussed about him going to Palace. As a club, we don't really have natural rivals-we tend to pick them up each season according to who we are competing with. Fair enough, we were rivals with Palace for a while in the Allison, Venables, Mullery years and nicked their chant, but we've had many other rivals over the years where the same atmosphere has been around. Frankly I think current Brighton fans dislike of Saints and Adkins has been the same as the old Palace rivalry, and I for one will get more satisfaction beating Adkins & Saints than Palace and Murray. Or maybe the same at least. This season it could be Pompey, Reading, or back to Palace again, but if we are top six and Palace bottom half, I don't think many will care what they do apart from a chuckle about Murray taking the money rather than making a footballing choice.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Can't say I'm that fussed about him going to Palace. As a club, we don't really have natural rivals-we tend to pick them up each season according to who we are competing with. Fair enough, we were rivals with Palace for a while in the Allison, Venables, Mullery years and nicked their chant, but we've had many other rivals over the years where the same atmosphere has been around. Frankly I think current Brighton fans dislike of Saints and Adkins has been the same as the old Palace rivalry, and I for one will get more satisfaction beating Adkins & Saints than Palace and Murray. Or maybe the same at least. This season it could be Pompey, Reading, or back to Palace again, but if we are top six and Palace bottom half, I don't think many will care what they do apart from a chuckle about Murray taking the money rather than making a footballing choice.

:ohmy:

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011
Get over it. We offered a 3 year deal, you didn't, he signed. Simples.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

A quite stunning post from someone claiming to be an Albion fan!

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003

Speak for yourself mate but I don't think this are the feelings of most true Albion fans. Palace are our rivals and always will be.....end of !!!

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011
You got mugged. We didn't rate him and have replaced him with better. I am well over it. Simples!

Funny how a player who was once the best thing since sliced bread suddenly becomes sh*t once he leaves :tosser:

Hoskins better? I don't think so.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Funny how a player who was once the best thing since sliced bread suddenly becomes sh*t once he leaves :tosser:

He made an effort in his last season, sure.

I think you will find that although he helped us to the Championship, not many kids wore Murray shirts as the guy never really warmed himself to those who wished to idolise him. He's not a poor player, but I don't think he will set the Championship on fire.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
It must be just me, I couldnt give a shit Muzza went he was good in an outstanding team last year but shit before that, fk him, if he had stayed no way would he be first choice, we have lost nothing by him going because better players are on their way to us

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Funny how a player who was once the best thing since sliced bread suddenly becomes sh*t once he leaves

funny how someone comes on to the board and thinks everyone loved the player their club just brought. truth is he was never universally popular owing to style (appeared lazy or disinterested at times) and being unsettled, submitting transfer requests (twice at least). Good player who we've already replaced.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
funny how someone comes on to the board and thinks everyone loved the player their club just brought. truth is he was never universally popular owing to style (appeared lazy or disinterested at times) and being unsettled, submitting transfer requests (twice at least). Good player who we've already replaced.

yep correct . benno will be . murray no way

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here