Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray article in Argus today

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
So we haven't sold our best players during Barber's tenure? I think the "couldn't make it up" comment was directed at what we have done with our best players since Poyet left and the comment Barber has apparently just made. I may be wrong though

Nope, you're absolutely right

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Barber's quote:

"The best clubs don't release their best players, and the clubs that are struggling certainly don't release their best players"

Where do we fit into that then in his mind I wonder?

Just another bit of PR b*llox to suit the statement at the time, he has to fill his share of column inches I think the term is.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I still find it quite incredible that we let Murray go because of a disagreement on wages. Probably the worst and most costly decision the club has made in the past 50 years.

No, getting rid of Barnes was a worse one - I bet his wage demands were less than Murray's too

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No, getting rid of Barnes was a worse one - I bet his wage demands were less than Murray's too
Very much this.

At least with Murray, you could say he had never proved himself at Championship level. Poyet made the call that he wouldn't cope, and to be fair he did struggle for Palace in that first season (the 3-1 Amex result excepted). He called it wrong, but mistakes happen.

However, by the time we let Barnes go, he was a PROVEN Championship striker. He'd played on his own up front and scored goals, he could hold the ball up. Some fans thought he was profligate, some thought him clumsy, immobile and slow - but he's quite clearly better than any of our current crop. And we let him go for an absolute steal, and now he's scoring goals in the top flight.

You only had to see his performance against Arsenal with Ulloa in the cup 3 years ago to see that both were going to cope alright in the Premiership. Absolutely pony decision to let him go. Totally inexcusable.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
You seem to be forgetting the 120 million we would have got for being promoted, and I'm bloody sure we would have been with Murray leading the line.

You know what people bang on about it cant be proved as it didnt happen. But IM ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED and will actually FIGHT anyone who says otherwise but if he was leading the line back then we would be in the Prem.

Or at least up and straight back down again.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
The article is a typical non-story by the Argus, they basically say that they have no idea if we could afford him, if Palace want him or if Reading will execute on their option on him. They just saying that we should buy him back if we are able to.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Very much this.

At least with Murray, you could say he had never proved himself at Championship level. Poyet made the call that he wouldn't cope, and to be fair he did struggle for Palace in that first season (the 3-1 Amex result excepted). He called it wrong, but mistakes happen.

However, by the time we let Barnes go, he was a PROVEN Championship striker. He'd played on his own up front and scored goals, he could hold the ball up. Some fans thought he was profligate, some thought him clumsy, immobile and slow - but he's quite clearly better than any of our current crop. And we let him go for an absolute steal, and now he's scoring goals in the top flight.

You only had to see his performance against Arsenal with Ulloa in the cup 3 years ago to see that both were going to cope alright in the Premiership. Absolutely pony decision to let him go. Totally inexcusable.

100% agree.

But Burke and Barber knew best. I believe Oscar wanted to keep Barnes?

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
You know what people bang on about it cant be proved as it didnt happen. But IM ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED and will actually FIGHT anyone who says otherwise but if he was leading the line back then we would be in the Prem.

Or at least up and straight back down again.

I hope you're not talking about giving any virtual slaps, cos that would be uncalled for. By all means go and punch people in the street who don't have the same opinion as you, as that is politicaly ok.
but to do this sitting behind ur computer , dishing out virtual punches and kicks is just full blown assult.
and i will call the virtual police on you.:bla:

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
If we had hung on to him there is a good chance we would have achieved promotion to the Premier League.

Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.

Are you suggesting that Murray is better than Ulloa because they wouldn't have been a partnership as we would certainly never have signed Ulloa if Murray had stayed. One thing that is a fact is that Palace would never have gone up if Murray had re-signed for us. I for one will be glad when ****ing Murray retires, then we wont have this continual rehashing of a 4 year old moan every transfer window

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Are you suggesting that Murray is better than Ulloa because they wouldn't have been a partnership as we would certainly never have signed Ulloa if Murray had stayed. One thing that is a fact is that Palace would never have gone up if Murray had re-signed for us. I for one will be glad when ****ing Murray retires, then we wont have this continual rehashing of a 4 year old moan every transfer window

We still get threads about Zamora returning every window, and he left 11 years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here