Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mumbia ....many UK & US companies have call centres and IT instillations there...

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
What's happening there is terrible, awful.

I stayed in both hotels many moons ago, the Taj especially is a fantastic hotel. Certainly one of the 3 best I've ever stayed in.

Im the same, I lived out in India for 5months whilst working, spending at least 3 weeks of it Mumbai, I have a few friends there at the moment, I stayed in one of the hotels that was attacked (Oberoi) and its great.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
another bomb gone off at the Taj Hotel just this minute

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Just heard the police chief live on Sky

"all we are wanting to do is nab these terrorists or shoot them"

Now that is the sort of talk I want to hear. NAB THEM OR KILL THE BASTARDS

Meanwhile Gordon fuckwit Brown "I think I can speak for everyone in the world....." He really said that! Who the fcuk does this nobend think he is?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
That is exactly what I am alluding to. Towers Perrin, Pru and Legal and General pay their Indian staff a comparative pittance, tough to them a decent wage, a few miles families are literally starving to death or their poverty is such they are riddle with disease. I am not surprised about an uprising like this with so much exploitation.

L&G doesn't have Indian Call centres..Worse - they're in Cardiff

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Cafe Leopold...

Cafe Leopold is an old Mumbai institution, popular with foreign tourists and close to the Taj Mahal Palace hotel.

The cafe opened in 1871 and is popular with the city's artistic crowd.

It was immortalised in Gregory David Roberts's best-selling novel, Shantaram.

Reports say a gunmen stormed the restaurant late on Wednesday and opened fire on diners.

An Australian student said he and his girlfriend were shot and wounded as they dined at the popular cafe.

Eyewitnesses suggest that the attackers looked very young "like boys".

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
From BBC...

Farzed Jehani, who owns the popular backpacker haunt, the Leopold Café, told the BBC how it was stormed by gunmen. "Two people from the outside... started firing into the premises," he says. "For a minute it was like firecrackers, but they realised very soon that it wasn't - it was bullets flying. A grenade was thrown into the restaurant which, yes, blew [up]... Two of my waiters died. There was around five or six tourist bodies lying on the floor, as well as five or six Indian people who were lying on the floor, dead."

:nono: Terrible.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Just heard the police chief live on Sky

"all we are wanting to do is nab these terrorists or shoot them"

Now that is the sort of talk I want to hear. NAB THEM OR KILL THE BASTARDS

Meanwhile Gordon fuckwit Brown "I think I can speak for everyone in the world....." He really said that! Who the fcuk does this nobend think he is?

Blah blah blah...

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
All in the name of f***ing religion. I thought Indians where mainly hindu?

They are, but they have a sizeable muslim minority, especially in places such as Lucknow and Hyderabad, On my trips around India I've always avoided both those places like the plague, as both are noted for their anti british sentiments.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
No sympathy whatsoever. Serves all the companies right. They should have kept the jobs in the UK. You get involved with johnny foreigners and you never know what is likely to happen.

Same with tourists stranded in Bangkok or those who have had their holidays cancelled or disrupted. If they had holidayed at home or gone to a civilised part of the world like the USA or Canada or Australia or New Zealand they wouldn't have had all this hassle. You go to johnny foreigner land and you take risks.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
USA civilised.... F**k off!

D

Deleted User X18H

No sympathy whatsoever. Serves all the companies right. They should have kept the jobs in the UK. You get involved with johnny foreigners and you never know what is likely to happen.

Same with tourists stranded in Bangkok or those who have had their holidays cancelled or disrupted. If they had holidayed at home or gone to a civilised part of the world like the USA or Canada or Australia or New Zealand they wouldn't have had all this hassle. You go to johnny foreigner land and you take risks.
Jeez what Brighton Posctcode are you in BN P ??

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

:bla:
050508_fishing.jpg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Perhaps now big businesses such at BT, Lloyds, Prudential will think twice about opening offices and using cheap labour in India and in particular Mumbai all at the cost of British jobs. It's all about greed and getting away with paying people peanuts to do a job!

Give it a rest. It's just people trying to get by and do the best for their family. Might be peanuts to you and me, but then we're pampered Western brats. We won't starve. The outsourcing is, if anything, improving people's lot in some parts of the world faster than Christian Aid or UNICEF or anybody else could ever do. OK, it's an accidental by-product of bottom line greedhead capitalism, but, say, L&G outsourcing its IT fdepartment from Hove to Bangalore has a trickle-down beneficial effect more than they ever intended or cared about. It builds links across the world and just maybe makes it a better safer place.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
With my sympathetic hat on, it's terrible whats happening and you can only feel for people with friends and families over there.

With my devils advocat hat on, perhaps now big businesses such at BT, Lloyds, Prudential will think twice about opening offices and using cheap labour in India and in particular Mumbai all at the cost of British jobs. It's all about greed and getting away with paying people peanuts to do a job!
When I left BT , my manager told me that my salary would then cover the wages of 10 customer service advisors in India which is why they allowed me to take voluntary redundancy a year earlier than agreed to.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire

So you'd say that to Robert Eaton's family, would you? You knobber.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Give it a rest. It's just people trying to get by and do the best for their family. Might be peanuts to you and me, but then we're pampered Western brats. We won't starve. The outsourcing is, if anything, improving people's lot in some parts of the world faster than Christian Aid or UNICEF or anybody else could ever do. OK, it's an accidental by-product of bottom line greedhead capitalism, but, say, L&G outsourcing its IT fdepartment from Hove to Bangalore has a trickle-down beneficial effect more than they ever intended or cared about. It builds links across the world and just maybe makes it a better safer place.

I'm sorry TH, but I just can't agree with you on this one.

I know friends who've worked for companies who decided to outsource and they cannot find a job and are in severe financial difficulties. Without sounding callous, they couldn't care less about jobs for people in India.

The pure fact of the matter is that despite what you say, many people who work in these outsourcing companies are just modern day slaves as their wages average around £3000 per annum and that's for a senior adviser. Compare that to their British counterparts, where the average salary in the South East is £20000.

In addition, those who you allude to are NOT getting the benefits of a higher standard of living. They're still living and working in deplorable conditions.

You also quote L&G. however, their IT services have been outsourced to an Indian company - not to India itself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here