Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mrs Nan on sunday

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
refered to a black person as firstly a ****** , then about 30 mins later a darkie.

Was pretty funny , she didnt even know it was racist.....tried explaining but she conveniently became deaf again

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Dougal said:
refered to a black person as firstly a ****** , then about 30 mins later a darkie.

Was pretty funny , she didnt even know it was racist.....tried explaining but she conveniently became deaf again

Does your Nan post on here as 'Questions'?

And why do you call her 'Mrs Nan'? Are all your family so polite?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
My great Aunties once commented that 'the man who had moved in across the road was really nice and yet he's black'. Not sure what they expected, perhaps some spears thrown in their direction.

It always amazes me how nigh on a whole generation has this attitude.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
sorry , my Mrs ....Nan , mine also called them darkies but has gone to a better place......where hopefully she can integrate fully

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Dougal said:
sorry , my Mrs Nan , mine also called them darkies but has gone to a better place......where hopefully she can integrate fully

What, its not your nan. What? What? I'm well confused.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Dougal said:
sorry , my Mrs ....Nan , mine also called them darkies but has gone to a better place......where hopefully she can integrate fully

You mean my missus' nan.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Juan Albion said:
I heard a rumour that someone has invented something quite useful. It's got a weird name ('apostrophe' I think) but from what I heard I think it could do a job in a scenario like this.

It'll never catch on.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
A lot of black dogs were called ****** in the fifties/sixties.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
dougdeep said:
A lot of black dogs were called ****** in the fifties/sixties.

While that is true, let's not forget that a lot more people studied Latin in those days and 'niger' is the Latin for black. It is pronounced more like the dreaded n-word rather than 'nijer.' A lot of animals that are black varieties of a species have 'niger' in their latin name, such as the Black Buffalo fish, which is Ictiobus niger.

I'm sure we will be revisiting this when Peter Jackson's 'Dambusters' comes out.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
f*** me.. that went a bit weird in the middle there... :lolol:

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
When I was learning British Sign Language, I was told the signs for Black and Irish had been changed since they were first invented.

The old black sign was apparently the deaf equivalent of the N word - signifying black skin, and the sign for Irish was the motion of digging (for potatoes!)

Albion Rob

Reminds me of when we were at my ex's grandparents and some kids were letting off fireworks in the street. Her grandfather immediately grumbled: "I'll bet it's that black man down the road."

Bizarre.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Mrs Coach said:
When I was learning British Sign Language, I was told the signs for Black and Irish had been changed since they were first invented.

The old black sign was apparently the deaf equivalent of the N word - signifying black skin, and the sign for Irish was the motion of digging (for potatoes!)

And now you see why Irish sign language is based on French not BSL!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
My nan was prone to this as well, (rest her soul) I remember her nearly crashing the car once when she spotted a black guy in Worthing in the seventies, exclaiming as she swerved across the road "Jesus, a n**ger...in Worthing!"

Really shook her up.:ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here