Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mr Coppell - This side will win the league

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
Gareth Glover said:
Brightonbird I was being serious !

Blimey, a little humility wouldn't go amiss!

Agree with Sneaky George and Yorkie on the need for a creative midfielder. Chippy and Jolly are both good, solid players, but rarely provide the spark that Brooker could.

Humph, suppose I better write one football-related post this week.

As stated in a thread last week (which got deleted), I believe we are missing Brooker more than anyone else this season and it must be Coppell's priority to replace him. Who knows, with someone pinging in a few balls from the wing Henderson might even get himself a couple of headed goals.

I don't see any real need for panic and revolution, our current strongest 11 (not including Blackwell) is still far better than most of the kak in Division 2:

Code:
              Roberts             

Hinshelwood  Cullip    Pethick  Mayo

Hart   Rodger   Carpenter       Jones

Knight   Henderson

Last edited:

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
Good job the only person that matters regards the team is the manager.We can all argue about who COULD be chosen but only one mans opinion counts,be it Adams,Hinshelwood,Coppell or Glover ,as a Brighton fan I will back whoever is in charge clap the players at the end then moan like F**K when it goes wrong to myself or in the car.Then the next match go to the game and support them all over again.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Gareth Glover said:
Goal 1. Michel Kuipers - Dropped Ben Roberts
Right Back 2. Nathan Jones - Dropped Paul Watson
Left Back 3. Kerry Mayo - Unchanged
Cen Def 4. Danny Cullip - Unchanged
Cen Def 5. Robbie Pethick - Dropped Guy Butters
Cen Mid 6. Simon Rodger - Dropped Charlie Oatway
Cen Mid 8. Richard Carpenter - Unchanged
Left Mid 7. John Piercy - changed
Right Mid 11. Gary Hart - Unchanged
Front: 9. Leon Knight - Unchanged
Front 10. Darius Henderson - Unchanged

KUIPERS

JONES CULLIP PETHICK MAYO

HART RODGER CARPENTER PIERCY

KNIGHT HENDERSON

I doubt that team would even make the play offs Gareth. Rodger and Pethick have both been crap this year and Henderson doesn't look that interested. I agree with you about Charlie though.

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
I agree with Safeway - that would pretty much be my first team.

Although Henderson has yet to convince me, I think he will prove himself given time. We might even get to hang on to him longer term given the Pardew fiasco.

As for Piercy - sorry. Dont rate him. He's not exactly proved himself in the (albeit limited) chances he's had. Cracking talent, no doubt there! If only he would apply himself (in the words of my school teachers of yester-year)...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I agree with Stumpy Tim's selection, but I would look to get a creative midfielder in NOW, and let Reading have that waster Hendo back, so he can languish in their reserves again... must be able to do better than him, surely?...

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Jones at right back!!! I think we have missed him in the last three matches as he likes to get forward and we are missing a link between midfield and the forwards that Brooker used to provide. I am another who has not been convinced by Piercey, ass I mentioned on another thread I have it on good authority that his attitude to training is very poor which may explain why he is not getting picked for the first team. It appears he may well have the talent but there is a question of his willingness to work hard to compliment it.

Dunkstar

Jul 6, 2003
Up a Hill
This is a post for anyone who has left out Jonah from their team....................................What the hell are you thinking ..................................thankyou!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Code:
                           ROBERTS

WATSON     HINSHELWOOD     CULLIP     MAYO

HART     CARPENTER     PIERCY     RODGER     JONES

KNIGHT

I think that defence line is the best we have. Can't include Blackwell at the moment. A five man midfield should help us control the game and pass it in the style we like. Knight is probably to leight weight to play the solo striker though. I think thats the main difference from two years ago. We still haven't replaced Zamora. How do you fit Piercy in though? I've put him in the middle. After his performance at Colchester he must get another chance. Probably at the expense of Jones. Then we lack Jonah's pace etc. Hard one I think.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Kuipers

Pethick Butters Cullip Mayo

Hart Carpenter Piercy Jones

Knight Wilson-Denis

:clap2:

Last edited:

The Cat in the Hat

Sep 10, 2003
Gareth Glover said:
Goal 1. Michel Kuipers - Dropped Ben Roberts
Right Back 2. Nathan Jones - Dropped Paul Watson
Left Back 3. Kerry Mayo - Unchanged
Cen Def 4. Danny Cullip - Unchanged
Cen Def 5. Robbie Pethick - Dropped Guy Butters
Cen Mid 6. Simon Rodger - Dropped Charlie Oatway
Cen Mid 8. Richard Carpenter - Unchanged
Left Mid 7. John Piercy - changed
Right Mid 11. Gary Hart - Unchanged
Front: 9. Leon Knight - Unchanged
Front 10. Darius Henderson - Unchanged

KUIPERS

JONES CULLIP PETHICK MAYO

HART RODGER CARPENTER PIERCY

KNIGHT HENDERSON

The best side that Coppell can pick from wouldn't win the league , let alone pissing around with the team like that Gareth.

Leave Jones on the left hand side of midfield, at least he has a few tricks and a good understanding with Kerry. Jones can't defend that well on the left (his favoured side), so there's no point in trying him on the Right.

If you think Watto is the weak link then how about going 3-5-2 ?

Roberts
Hinselwood Cullip Mayo
Hart Rodgers Oatway Carpenter Jones
Henderson Knight

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Theatre of Trees said:
Don't think this will work as Knight isn't a centre forward who will hold the ball up for others to play onto.

Yeah I think I said something along those lines underneath. I think it might be worth a go though. Hopefully it would froce us to play it on the ground and attack as a unit. Hart and Jonah helping Knight out. Also it would mean getting it to Knight's feet and then he is dangerous.

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
Turkey said:
Code:
                           ROBERTS

WATSON     HINSHELWOOD     CULLIP     MAYO

HART     CARPENTER     PIERCY     RODGER     JONES

KNIGHT

I think that defence line is the best we have. Can't include Blackwell at the moment. A five man midfield should help us control the game and pass it in the style we like. Knight is probably to leight weight to play the solo striker though. I think thats the main difference from two years ago. We still haven't replaced Zamora. How do you fit Piercy in though? I've put him in the middle. After his performance at Colchester he must get another chance. Probably at the expense of Jones. Then we lack Jonah's pace etc. Hard one I think.

I'd pretty much go with this - although Jones is a 'one trick pony' IMHO. But since Brooker left who else do we have? Piercy on the left? Drop Watson & play a 3-5-3 with Henderson/Robinson partnering Knight upfront?

My thoughts probably explain why I am not a footie coach??!

Mind you I did play for the Albion youth team for two years (& Sussex/Lewes/Ringmer)

*puffs chest out & grins with pride*

:D

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here