Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mr Collyer really doesn't seem to like us!

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
To be serious for a minute....I was also sitting in the same company at the Public Inquiry on the day in question. And at no point do I remember ANYONE suggesting that supporters were either willing OR reluctant to walk that sort of distance.

What was revealed - in a very poor performance by the transport consultant - was the undeniable fact that it is physically possible to walk from Brighton Station to Sheepcote. But then it's physically possible to walk from Land's End to John O' Groats. It's just that you rarely get there in time for kick-off.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Lord Bracknell said:
para 18.76:-
"And there is evidence that football supporters are not entirely reluctant to walk anything up to between 6km and 8km to matches; according to my calculations Sheepcote Valley is comfortably within that range from Brighton Station".

No wonder Prescott didn't take much notice of Collyer. What a ridiculous statement.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Both Hoile and Collyer are on another planet from us, socially and culturally.
they both obviously loathe football fans, poor people (cf the local plan recommendations on affordable housing) and anyone apart from their plummy little clique.

It's another of New Labour's many failings that the out of touch upper classes haven't yet been kicked out of the judicial system!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Anybody else up for a mass sponsored walk from Brighton and Hove stations, one to Sheepcote Valley, another to "Toads Hall" [sic]? Without any road maps? That should prove their "viability" or lack whereof once and for all.

Also, I'd be interested to get the views of some of our mobilely-challenged supporters on the viability of these sites for them...personally, I wouldn't exactly fancy descending either Elm Grove or Bear Road when the brakes are acting up on a wet Tuesday night if I was in their, er, wheels.

What a pile of utter wank either of those two supposed alternatives are, for everyone.

Did Mr Collier try walking the "6km=8km" which would get him to Sheepcote?

No ! I am suprised.

According to him you can also see Falmer (well you'll be able to see the stadium so presumably the village must be visible) from Ditchling Beacon. Jeez he must have some eyesight

:eek:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Yes, I posted earlier on in this thread a rather silly conspiracy theory about what Prescott was up to, but having read some more of Collyer's report, I am not entirely satisfied what this guys' motives are.

Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting for one moment that this guy has been compromised in any way, but his report is full of contradictions.

He mentions about when the referendum took place, and says in there that the people of Falmer Village were not allowed to vote (of course not, they come under Lewes), implying that it was unfair. Yet in the same paragraph, he says that there is a rural peice of land (village way) between the conurbation of Brighton and Hove, and Falmer that must be preserved? So on one hand he is saying Falmer should get a say on what goes on in Brighton, and the next he is saying that they should remain detached.

I'm not surprised given all the other snipets that have been posted on here that Prescott has taken the view he has.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Seagull73 said:
He mentions about when the referendum took place, and says in there that the people of Falmer Village were not allowed to vote (of course not, they come under Lewes), implying that it was unfair.

Didn’t ‘Private Eye’ magazine look at this a while back too?

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
Tht's a fcukin joke if he thinks I am walking from Brighton station to Sheepcote Valley. Yer great idea. Loose some weight I guess, but :angry: :angry:

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
"Thus it has now survived into its 7th season away from its last permanent home, during which time it appears to have enjoyed a noticeable measure of success in terms of managing its finances. It is also worthy of note that in the past 20 years just 2 FL clubs have gone out of business which suggests to me that clubs at this level have, as LDC and FPC put it, a remarkable ability to survive."

Is the above saying that if we had mis-managed our finances we would be in a better position for wanting/needing a ground.

Pathetic.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
It is precisely this sort of rubbish and personal opinion that has probably incenced Prescott to over-rule the findings by not saying "no".

The man has no passion and is completely clueless. Its incompetence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here