Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mr Benn Returns!

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Mr Benn returns after 35-year gap

_40655419_mrbenn_new203.jpg

Children's favourite Mr Benn is making a return to TV with his first new adventure in 35 years.

Creator David McKee was inspired to write another tale for the bowler-hatted character after watching the blockbuster Gladiator.

Only 13 episodes of Mr Benn were ever made but they have often been repeated since they first went out in the 1970s.

The new episode will be shown on children's channel Nick Jr on New Year's Day.

Ray Brooks will once again narrate the story, based on Mr Mckee's latest book which sees Mr Benn travel to ancient Rome through the fancy dress shop "as if by magic".

Mr McKee said: "It's hard to believe that the first Mr Benn films were broadcast in 1970. I still get a lot of letters from fans asking when I'm going to write a new story.

"It was wonderful working on Gladiator - just like visiting an old friend.

"We've kept the style much the same but of course the technology is very different now. In fact the original films were made in a garden shed in Surbiton."

The creator is plotting more stories for Mr Benn and plans are still afoot for a feature film.

"I'm looking forward to new adventures for Mr Benn in the future," said Mr McKee.

_40655423_mrbenn203.jpg

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
only 13 EVER made?! blimey I must've re watched them a thousand times or something :eek: :D

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Surely more than 13 !

I shall be tuning in New Years Day then.:D

Last edited:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I seem to always remember the Red Indian one!!!

Bee dum dee dum dee dummm dedededederrr bee dum dee dum de durrrrrr...etc etc (can't be arsed)

:shootself

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
I think he will go into the shop looking for a Manure Shirt, go on his adventure (playing and the Theatre of (wet) dreams (zzzzz))and by the time he comes back out of the shop they will have brought a new one. So he'll go back into get the new one and.............

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Heres a Theory, did the writers of Goodnight Sweetheart starring Rodney/Dave get the idea from Mr Benn? I reckon they DID as they are very simular, kinda!

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
Scarface said:
Ray Brooks will once again narrate the story

Does he still live in the area.

I remember sitting next to him, night after night during the early 90s, at the Blackjack tables at Sergeant Yorke's by the station

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Never has the murky world of suburban S+M been foisted upon so many young and innocent minds quite as covertly as by the makers of Mr Benn.

Consider the facts: A mild-mannered, respectable-looking businessman goes to a little backstreet shop, midweek, in the morning (presumably without Mrs Benn's knowledge - he appears to live alone) - where he dons any one of a number of exotic costumes supplied by the private shop - this all overseen by a mysterious yet engaging dominatrix known only as "the shopkeeper" - and gets deeply involved in wild adventures from which "shopkeeper" rescues him at the last minute.

Think about it, it's pure filth. Mr Benn? Mr Gimp more like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here