Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MP3 question..

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Sorry for being dull/stupid, but i have a sony ericsson 550i phone that has an mp3 player, i've downloaded albums to it but i want to eliminate the gap between tracks- its a mixed album and the pauses between tracks are v annoying.

also because i had to down load it whilst offline (im too poor to have the internet at home) each album is called 'unknown artist' and it plays them in numerical order: 11223344556677 any tips on how to sort this?

Ta.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Unlikely to be fixable, unless you merge all the songs together into one track; most mp3 players don't support gapless playback.

A decent audio editor will let you do that, even a crap free one like Audacity should; any decent mp3 player (read: winamp on Windows) will let you set the "id3 tags" which will fix the "unknown artist" and numbering stuff if you want.

1066gull

I have the excatly same phone. To play them all together continuosly I just go to Tracks, but don't think they are in Album order

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
MYOB said:
A decent audio editor will let you do that, even a crap free one like Audacity should; any decent mp3 player (read: winamp on Windows) will let you set the "id3 tags" which will fix the "unknown artist" and numbering stuff if you want.

I'd use iTunes dude then you can mutiselect/edit for Artist and album details , saving you loads of time and effort :)

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
REDLAND said:
I'd use iTunes dude then you can mutiselect/edit for Artist and album details , saving you loads of time and effort :)

Also allows you to rip the tracks offline and connect to the internet just to retrieve the track data (all of about 2 seconds).

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Both of which you can do in any decent "media library" app, which WinAmp Lite isn't. However the full version of WinAmp is. And its still smaller than iTunes, and still doesn't look like a badly ported Mac app.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
MYOB said:
Both of which you can do in any decent "media library" app, which WinAmp Lite isn't. However the full version of WinAmp is. And its still smaller than iTunes, and still doesn't look like a badly ported Mac app.

Yeah well I-Tunes has a much cooler name and people don't automatically think "sad computer geek" when I tell them I use it. Both serious flaws with WinAmp.

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Rangdo said:
Yeah well I-Tunes has a much cooler name and people don't automatically think "sad computer geek" when I tell them I use it. Both serious flaws with WinAmp.

Erm... If you recommended, say, "Foobar2000" (yes, thats a real media player), they might think that. Nothing wrong with the WinAmp name, whereas iTunes is just "yet another f***ing app with i- in front of its name". Which, even to the fashion victims that keep Apple in business, is a dodgy tech-boom era cliche.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
MYOB said:
Erm... If you recommended, say, "Foobar2000" (yes, thats a real media player), they might think that. Nothing wrong with the WinAmp name, whereas iTunes is just "yet another f***ing app with i- in front of its name". Which, even to the fashion victims that keep Apple in business, is a dodgy tech-boom era cliche.

To you maybe but your average non-techie Joe on the street will have no idea what WinAmp is.
I agree with you about the 'i' thing though. That iriver stuff is a pile of shite.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
You'd be surprised, average Joe on the street that has a computer is damn likely to know what WinAmp is.

If you want to look for non-Apple crap (as opposed to Apple crap) thats using the "i" suffix, Cowon iAudio. Which is a blatent cash-in, and actually worse than the iPod, some acheivement.

iriver Limited pre-date the iPod by two years.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I use winamp and itunes and both have their place and skills they do will.

itunes is the easiest for editing tags etc but that said you can do that with windows by simply slecting a group of mp3s in a folder and right clicking properties and select adavanced and its all there for you to edit. Easy

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here