Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving to Seaford or Rye ... comments?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Ok so my original statement was based on the many people I know who both come from and live in Seaford, from my experience of working there and working with people who live there.
I then in my next posts said it was generalisation. Obviously it is because I don't know every single person that lives there.

I'm not back tracking, I've merely given my personal opinion. Some of you think I'm wrong. I can definitely deal with that.

What sort of work do you do Miss Gull?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
shovel_ready.jpg
Ok so my original statement was based on the many people I know who both come from and live in Seaford, from my experience of working there and working with people who live there.
I then in my next posts said it was generalisation. Obviously it is because I don't know every single person that lives there.

I'm not back tracking, I've merely given my personal opinion. Some of you think I'm wrong. I can definitely deal with that.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
I'm really not sorry for having a low opinion of the place, if that offends you then...I'm sure you'll get over it. :)

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I was a Seafud person until I heard the station announcer at Lewes calling for all passengers for 'Southease & Rodmell Halt,Newhaven Town,Newhaven Harbour,Bishopstone & SEA.....FOOORD.Pretentious,moi?Nice town,with a lot of nice people,but some right snobs as well.(Same as most places):rolleyes:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I was a Seafud person until I heard the station announcer at Lewes calling for all passengers for 'Southease & Rodmell Halt,Newhaven Town,Newhaven Harbour,Bishopstone & SEA.....FOOORD.Pretentious,moi?Nice town,with a lot of nice people,but some right snobs as well.(Same as most places):rolleyes:

This is more like it, like your style!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
No, it has 4. All good.

Takes the lead with that then!

Appreciate the all the comments good and bad. We're making another trip today, even going to look at a place in Seaford and then along the coast to see what's what.

Would rather be in Leeds. :(

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Make sure you turn right under the railway bridge just before you reach Seaford, then come in along the seafront, it looks great in the sunshine with the waves breaking.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
I moved to Seaford from renting houses in Brighton & Hove 3 years ago aged 28. Eldest daughter was approaching school age and we wanted to get on the ladder with a (affordable) family home and settle in an area with a good school.

I knew Seaford quite well having grown up in Telscombe and had school friends who lived in Seaford. I've really taken to the place, sure It's severely lacking in shopping options and culture when compared to Brighton and Eastbourne but that's not what its about. It's a quiet, green, open spaced relaxed sort of town with very friendly residents.

I've noticed and met more and more young families moving out here to afford a half decent sized house and sensible mortgage which is helping bring the average age of the towns residents down to double figures.

All the pro's have already been listed by others but I'll bang on about travel again, train to the Amex is painless and onwards from there is easily doable (I work in Croydon for my sins).

Mrs See-Goals struggled a bit with the lack of H&M and Starbucks but we love it for what it is and 30 mins either direction you're in Bton or E'Bourne.

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
Don't like it then?

Has anyone or anything ever 'seethed' in Seaford? Certainly not my impression whilst living there. It's a very peaceful and contented place. Sounds like you want a class war.

Some kids found some chalk & wrote their names on the pavement. A neighbour came out & seethed "this is not a council estate!" That was around 1984.
The class war starts at teatime tomorrow outside Chyngton school, where they've dug the road up. One or two traffic cones may get moved about.:whistle::whistle:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The one thing that Seaford does need is a decent leisure centre, for a town of 27,000 it certainly should have one. The trouble is as it's ruled from Lewes we seem to be 3rd in line for any expenditure, despite being the biggest town in the area.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Some kids found some chalk & wrote their names on the pavement. A neighbour came out & seethed "this is not a council estate!" That was around 1984.
The class war starts at teatime tomorrow outside Chyngton school, where they've dug the road up. One or two traffic cones may get moved about. :whistle::whistle:

Ha ha!

The cone story reminds me of my friend's father who is from Chyngton. Years ago, he rubbed off the markings indicating where the road should be dug up. He then moved them 10 yards away and watched with perverse satisfaction as the workers dug the wrong bit of road up. They then filled the hole they'd dug up. Several days after, they were back in the original spot. :whistle::whistle:

seafordtillidie

May 26, 2011
I've enjoyed reading this thread and having lived in Seaford for over 50 years I can happily say it's the nicest place I've ever lived:lolol:

For the Amex it's perfect, get on the train and sit down all the way to Falmer, excellent. After the game hang around for a drink, miss a couple of direct trains then jump on a direct train, get on at the front and hey presto a seat all the way home, just right for an old guy like me.

I agree with the comments about the lack of decent shops but it depends what you want, if its big name stores then head off to either Brighton or Eastbourne which are both easy by car, bus or train. Plenty of local shops that do provide most of what yopu may be after and as far as food and drink are concernedthere's enough excellent Indian, Chinese, Italian, Thai restaurants as well as a choice of fish and chips for the most discerning taste. And pubs, again plenty to choose from and right in the town centre, not much choice if you live on the outskirts though.

Two fine golf courses, although I'm biased the one up the Head gives some of the most spectacular views of any golf course and the drive off the 18th has to be seen to be believed, you think you can drive the ball all the way to Brighton:whistle:

Somebody just mentioned the drive along the seafront, I do it every day and love it. The beach is now big and clean, although the shelving is a bit of a drawback it had to be done to save the Town from being flooded when the storms arrive. The attraction for most is the lack of attractions, no amusements, gift shops or any of the usual seaside clutter. There are a couple of excellent places where you can rest for a snack but little thats about it.

I love the place and wouldn't dream of going anywhere else.:rock:

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
I've enjoyed reading this thread and having lived in Seaford for over 50 years I can happily say it's the nicest place I've ever lived:lolol:

For the Amex it's perfect, get on the train and sit down all the way to Falmer, excellent. After the game hang around for a drink, miss a couple of direct trains then jump on a direct train, get on at the front and hey presto a seat all the way home, just right for an old guy like me.

I agree with the comments about the lack of decent shops but it depends what you want, if its big name stores then head off to either Brighton or Eastbourne which are both easy by car, bus or train. Plenty of local shops that do provide most of what yopu may be after and as far as food and drink are concernedthere's enough excellent Indian, Chinese, Italian, Thai restaurants as well as a choice of fish and chips for the most discerning taste. And pubs, again plenty to choose from and right in the town centre, not much choice if you live on the outskirts though.

Two fine golf courses, although I'm biased the one up the Head gives some of the most spectacular views of any golf course and the drive off the 18th has to be seen to be believed, you think you can drive the ball all the way to Brighton:whistle:

Somebody just mentioned the drive along the seafront, I do it every day and love it. The beach is now big and clean, although the shelving is a bit of a drawback it had to be done to save the Town from being flooded when the storms arrive. The attraction for most is the lack of attractions, no amusements, gift shops or any of the usual seaside clutter. There are a couple of excellent places where you can rest for a snack but little thats about it.

Playing into one of the stronger westerlies, I'm thinking more about my ball landing up back on the 17th green!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Brilliant post, I know I now live down the road in Newhaven but I still love the town .

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
The one thing that Seaford does need is a decent leisure centre, for a town of 27,000 it certainly should have one. The trouble is as it's ruled from Lewes we seem to be 3rd in line for any expenditure, despite being the biggest town in the area.

Downs isn't that bad. Showing its age a bit but got most things. It of course lacks a pool but that is a whole of Sussex issue and seahaven is ok.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here