Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving to Eastbourne - advice needed

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
Eastbourne has gone down hill in recent years, for sure - but hasnt most towns? I can only echoe what most have said on here.... avoid Shinewater, Langney, Hampden Park, Willingdon Trees, and anywhere near Asda. Meads and parts of old town are ok, the latter full of little sh1ts to be honest. The town centre now is predominantly full of druggy scousers, polish and albanians. Firle Road and Belmore Road are worth a look.

Parts of Polegate are ok, avoid anywhere near the old Polegate Station, the windmill, Southfields and Northfields. Wannock Road is very nice as are the parts around Polegate CP School.

Good train service from Polegate too :thumbsup:

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
There is a bus up to Beachy Head.

Giant Seagull

That was textbook
Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Sovereign Harbour is basically built on one massive exposed beach. Its always windy even in summer and that just irritates after a while. Bleak in winter too.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Eastbourne has gone down hill in recent years, for sure - but hasnt most towns? I can only echoe what most have said on here.... avoid Shinewater, Langney, Hampden Park, Willingdon Trees, and anywhere near Asda. Meads and parts of old town are ok, the latter full of little sh1ts to be honest. The town centre now is predominantly full of druggy scousers, polish and albanians. Firle Road and Belmore Road are worth a look.

Parts of Polegate are ok, avoid anywhere near the old Polegate Station, the windmill, Southfields and Northfields. Wannock Road is very nice as are the parts around Polegate CP School.

people keep saying this of Willingdon tree and Hampden Park, but what is really wrong with those areas? they seem nice enough on a drive by, with the exception of the east side of the rails for Hampden pk. as for Polegate, whats wrong with "near the station" and how far is that supposed to extend. Gilda Cresent certainly looks dodge, but the streets to west of the high st seem fine.
maybe its all relative, after 12 years in London i have a different perspective. Is it just kerb appeal of these areas is below par or are they proper rough?

as for druggie scousers, same thing 15 years ago and it wasnt new then (apparently loads came down in the 80s for sun, sea and the dole.)

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008

can only agree. i live in langney, and to be honest, i can not wait to leave, it's horrible. i don't feel safe around here, at all.
Meads is WELL NICE. i wouldn't recommend NEVER stepping foot in the town centre, aweful shops full of chavs hanging outside mcdonalds getting lairy at you for looking at them.
the only thing i disagree on, is polgate, i f***ing hate that place, full of pikeys!

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Hampden Park / Shinewater = Large council estates, high crime, AVOID!
Sovereign Harbour = Nice, but over-priced.
Old Town = Probably your best bet for value.
Meads = Best part of town, but expensive.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
West Hampden Park is fine ie near the park itself. I live there!
Avoid Willingdon Trees/Croxden Way area and Langney.
Agree Old Town and Meads are nice - but expensive.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
I live in stone cross and its great. Nice and quiet and not rough, housing from 180 ish for a small place3 to 300+ usual sort of stuff but mostly all fairly newly built and nice area. Community feel and if youve got kids the school is good too for infants and juniors. definitely one of the better places to live in and around eastbourne area.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
It nice to go there if its hot : to use the beach, thats all its got as an attraction.

Full of Loons, old people, Kurds , Polish, and chavs.

Old town is ok i have a mate lives there. Overall very boring dead town.

people keep saying this of Willingdon tree and Hampden Park, but what is really wrong with those areas?

Word of mouth reputation hanging on. As I said before, I was brought up in Croxden Way and my parents still live there 32 years on. I was in the first class in the brand new primary school so I know of what I speak. My sister lived in Maywood Avenue for a while as did my nan. You'd think it was Moss Side the way people on here are carrying on. A certain Mr Bellotti chose to live in Willingdon Trees as well so (inevitable wisecracks/abuse aside) it is hardly one big council estate.

It is by no means Meads but I would much rather move back to Willingdon Trees than live near Milfoil Drive or Pevensey/Langney Road for example. But then saying that, I am much happier here in Hailsham with much more house for your money than I would be in Eastbourne. All things are relative - Hailsham town centre can be full of chavvy kids but that is a mile away so who cares. Our road has many nice families with nice houses in nice condition and in a nice estate in so called chavvy Hailsham. But when we brought a brand new house in a brand new housing estate in Hastings, I had my car window smashed by kids throwing stones, all night loud music, teenagers camping out in the kids playground over night etc.

The moral is to look at houses in your price range and visit the area independently of the estate agent at various times to get the lay of the land and independent of any general perceptions of the area

sureyyathegodofthephonein

nsc most loved
Apr 26, 2008
Having sex in a skip
I have lived in Eastbourne all my life and i can say it's a nise place to live and never had any problems but everywhere has good and bad parts
Hampden Park - ive lived here for the last 17 years never had any trouble what so ever
Town Centre- wouldn't want to live in any town centre will always be noisey espically at night
Langney road area- Lots of council run bed and breakfasts so full of a lot of unsavioury characters
Kingsmere and Shinewater- very large council estates had it's problems but the police are clearing it up
Seaside- nise area good location too not to far away from town centre
Roselands- safest place to live in Eastbourne someone said once
Polegate- fine
Old town- nise parts except Royal Sussex Cresent really
Meads- nise area full of a lot of old people though
Uperton- nise area with a lot of traffic but in a good location
It really is nise to live in im happy here a lot niser in the summer though more things to do etc
They are talking about doing the shopping centre up too
I must admit id like to live here for the rest of my life x

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
i live in Eastbourne, the best places to live are probably Meads and Old Town

Note- Stay away from Roselands and Langney!

Huh Where exactly in Roselands is the bronx? And with regards to Langney its only the Shinewater and Kingsmere estates you need to be wary of.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Thanks for all your replies up to now, I do like the sovereign harbor area but
the fact that its its on a flood plain would be a problem.

merlino

I'd avoid Soveraign harbour. It's nice but there's a lot of DSS lets there and you could end up next to some right scumbag.
The nice bits are East of the railway line and south of Sainsburys.

DSS are much more common on the South Harbour which is definitely shittier. I rent a brand new apartment right on the waterfront which is built superbly but obviously pay a premium for it. I would NEVER but anywhere at the harbour cos the ones that seem a reasonable price are built like shacks!

blimey, 20 month on and it looks like i might actually be moving to Polegate soon. one short train away from Falmer :clap2:

Give us a shout when you do, there's half a dozen of us that will be going regularly and will regularly be having a beer in the High Street before

A certain Mr Bellotti chose to live in Willingdon Trees as well so (inevitable wisecracks/abuse aside) it is hardly one big council estate.

With all due respect (and I know we are clearly going to disagree on Croxden) Bellotti lived in St Davids Close and there a big difference between that side of Hazelwood Avenue (large detached, owner occupied self builds) and the other side (small terraced, social housing).

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I have lived in Eastbourne all my life and i can say it's a nise place to live and never had any problems but everywhere has good and bad parts
Hampden Park - ive lived here for the last 17 years never had any trouble what so ever
Town Centre- wouldn't want to live in any town centre will always be noisey espically at night
Langney road area- Lots of council run bed and breakfasts so full of a lot of unsavioury characters
Kingsmere and Shinewater- very large council estates had it's problems but the police are clearing it up
Seaside- nise area good location too not to far away from town centre
Roselands- safest place to live in Eastbourne someone said once
Polegate- fine
Old town- nise parts except Royal Sussex Cresent really
Meads- nise area full of a lot of old people though
Uperton- nise area with a lot of traffic but in a good location
It really is nise to live in im happy here a lot niser in the summer though more things to do etc
They are talking about doing the shopping centre up too
I must admit id like to live here for the rest of my life x
Its 'nice' - N - I - C - E !!

DSS are much more common on the South Harbour which is definitely shittier. I rent a brand new apartment right on the waterfront which is built superbly but obviously pay a premium for it. I would NEVER but anywhere at the harbour cos the ones that seem a reasonable price are built like shacks!

Give us a shout when you do, there's half a dozen of us that will be going regularly and will regularly be having a beer in the High Street before

With all due respect (and I know we are clearly going to disagree on Croxden) Bellotti lived in St Davids Close and there a big difference between that side of Hazelwood Avenue (large detached, owner occupied self builds) and the other side (small terraced, social housing).

But no different than the third of Willingdon Trees made up of bungalows?

Here is a pic for those who don't know it. Red is the old North British estate, Blue is the 'large detatched, owner occupied self builds' and the bungalows and geen is the old council estate. To highlight my point, Bellotti's old house is just as far from the scuzzy end of Croxden Way as my parents house in the middle is and yet these self build houses are considered desirable. As are the bungalows in Lilac Close, Cedar Close etc.

Once again, I will repeat that I am not suggesting that anyone move to Willingdon Trees - least of all Croxden Way - as there is a chance you will end up with neighbours that are far from your ideals but I am simply challenging the latent snobbery that raises its head when areas of towns are mentioned and all based on nothing more than word of mouth perceptions - usually based on no experience at all. All I know is that 5 years ago when I was last house hunting, Shinewater and Kingsmere had much worse reputations than Willingdon Trees.

Attachments

• Willingdon Trees.jpg
    Willingdon Trees.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 731

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
:lolol: After all the grief you give Eastbourne areas, you are proposing drinking in the Dinkum? Chavtastic mates. :lolol:

Errr, no, the Dinkum is a hell hole frequented by tossers and pikies and both

All I know is that 5 years ago when I was last house hunting, Shinewater and Kingsmere had much worse reputations than Willingdon Trees.

Oh yeah, no doubt about that, Kingsmere in particular.

Just for your information my mum is an area housing manager who used to work for North Brit so i would say although we've never lived there, she may have a good idea what goes on in Croxden, possibly better even than you.

Anyways, to sum up, as with all towns there are good areas of Eastbourne and shit areas of Eastbourne. If you're a snob like me do your homework, if a home is a home move where you like!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here