Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MOUTH - The latest

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
I've noticed the decreasing standards of stewarding at Withdean for some time. Good knows how they will cope at Falmer when they have proper crowds to deal with.

I see no reason why some of the 'elite' stewards feel the need to wear steel toe cap para boots, leather gloves, black jacket and combat trousers with pockets bulging. Got to say most of the orange jacket brigade are not a problem. Its just the 'top SIA boys' who seem to think they are some sort of paramilitary commando security team who want to provoke a problem so they can then act all Billy big bollocks in front of their mates with the knowledge the Police will back them up if anything kicks off.

When the Police decide its necessary to film and photo everyone in the stand is also very distracting, and only seems to wind people up who would otherwise be happy watching the football.

Bring back PC Beard!

Agree about the over-dressing like paras. Their uniform ought to preclude anything that gives a military look. I think it's the 'Response' stew-hards in jackets that like to look that part - the 'orange brigade' just look like anybodies, but with a hi-viz coat on.
Come to think about it, perhaps they ought to spruce that outfit up for Falmer, it's a bit crap too.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Someone at the club thinks he's commanding a private army! Why dress the response teams so provocatively? Safety boots or shoes, yes, high leg combats, no. Combat trousers? Lovely for people to get a grip of and for pockets to end up full of crap! They aren't carrying two foot long penis-substitute maglites are they? Black bomber jackets? Oh dear. Leather gloves - even better, reduced grip. Sounds more like someone is fulfilling a private fantasy regarding his own little group of "macho men", dressed like stormtroopers. Someone is probably in the security room banging one out while he watches them go into action!

The Stewarding qualification and the SIA licence contains a large amount of work relating to Customer Services - and it sounds like these clowns have missed that bit. Maybe they should turn to a more professional training organisation or more rigorous assessors (then again, each NVQ assessor gets around £350 per portfolio, so I don't suppose they are too concerned by what they are ticking off...)

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
And there weren't any stewards in front of the North Stand.

That's half the problem. Because they don't ever see anything like it on their side of the ground, the Club's senior management and directors simply do not imagine how intrusive the stewarding of the South Stand can be. I'm certain that if North Stand stewarding was anything like what "customers" in the South Stand have to put up with, words would be said and the whole approach would change very quickly.

Well said Lord B.

meanmachine25

Jan 24, 2009
and you wonder why after going to every brighton game at gillingham my enthusiasm for home game has all but dried up would rather go away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I can't really comment on what the guy did as I wasn't sitting near but the steward response did look well over the top and probably caused more of a distraction than he was.

Assuming he has never been warned before, a two match ban sounds well over the top.

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
Sounds like a real hoot watching football at withdean these days.........vote with your feet... no sorry backsides and save your sanity by, perhaps not going. Falmer is only a year away. oh by the way do any of the stewards support Brighton? or indeed football?

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
And there weren't any stewards in front of the North Stand.

That's half the problem. Because they don't ever see anything like it on their side of the ground, the Club's senior management and directors simply do not imagine how intrusive the stewarding of the South Stand can be. I'm certain that if North Stand stewarding was anything like what "customers" in the South Stand have to put up with, words would be said and the whole approach would change very quickly.

As sombody who sat as a s/s as a sth and moved to the n/s this is 100%correct. Saying that this is was due to some of the people in H block whom became a little to much!
In the old days of standing if you stood next to some 'cocks' you moved with seating and being a sth your stuck with them until you apply for a move.
You pay your money and make your choice

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Let's just hope it's better at the Amex

I'll be taking my kids so will be in the family area anyway, just got about 20 more odd games to put up with the bullyboy tactics

Janbha

Dec 5, 2008
Hove
im not condoning foul language by any means, but i guess if you take your kids to a football match you go knowing full well you will be exposing the kids to foul language at some point during the game at any football stadium, there are so many valid points on view in this thread its hard to cut the right from wrong , ive nothing personal against the stewards or how they conduct themselves in general as they have their orders i would imagine, but i along with many others have sat and listened to the moronic homophobic chanting from visiting supporters for years and nothing from what ive ever seen has been done to stop this behaviour,i do not want to see a witch hunt and the outcome is a person or persons lose their job but it really has got to the stage where the way stewarding at withdean need to be overhauled at the very least, the way it stands at the moment , Home fans see the stewards as little hitlers always ready to pounce on the slightest of mis behaviour , yet the very same home fans have to listen to the drivel coming from the away end as a matter of course because the stewards AND POLICE see it as run of the mill and unpunishable due to the amount of people doing it.

To my way of thinking if all the home fans stood up and started effin and blinding they would be left alone to do their thing because of the numbers participating.

The club should have a little think on how they want to go forward with this , because double standard stewarding will certainly not improve attendances

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The biggest disappointment in all of this is that the club doesn't seem to acknowledge that there is a problem with some of the stewards behaviour towards its 'customers'. Indeed threads like these are seen as some sort of 'vendetta' or mob mentality. We're not Millwall, Leeds or Cardiff you know!

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
Unfortunately this isn't exclusive to the Withdean. Numerous reports of problems at Loftus Road over the years with stewards primarily from home supporters, some resulting in rucks because people aren't always prepared to stand by and let them get away with it.

Despite the suggestion of zero tolerance at the Amex, I think we all know what will happen if 2000 Cardiff, Leeds or West Ham decide they're going to stand.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sometimes I can't tell with NSC when someone is being serious or not. Is this bit actually true?

1901 members at the Amex will have to be smartly dressed which means no Albion shirts can be worn in the stand. :thumbsup:

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Just a thought on the away supporters standing and/or giving it homophobic chanting. If our stewards went in there and enforced the rules to the letter, all sorts of grief would probably occur, AND our fans at away games would probably get some reciprocal treatment from their stewards. I've been to few aways, where we've stood and sang for the whole 90 minutes unhindered ???

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I've been to few aways, where we've stood and sang for the whole 90 minutes unhindered ???

Only because they're afraid of being touched up if they had to go into the crowd :lolol:

Get real.
The bloke was shouting obscenities that could be heard across the stadium!
There are signs up at Withdean requesting controlled language.
Banning this bloke for two games is to let him know he's done something wrong, while allowing that he could temper his behavior in future.
Getting him when he came out of the stand was obviously to avoid a fuss in the stand by not fishing him out while the game was going on.
What some of you lot make a big deal about as "wrong stewarding for the masses", is actually done to keep antisocial behavior from spoiling events for "the masses" - which include women and children and other people who do not wish to be subjected to one person's version of how to behave.

The stewards have a job to do, whether you approve or not, and they just carry the job out as required. There may be some interpretations among the general individuals, that may not always be exactly the same - but in this case it was not a sole decision made by one steward.

As for imho, I thought it was a manager or player, was bothered to think that one would yell that stuff so loudly, and wondered at the time whether it could be pertinent to ask attendant football professionals to 'keep it down'.

As for what stewards wear under the hi-viz;- I didn't realize there were so many 'Bruno' or 'Gok Wan' fashion critics judging what is "out, this season".

Anyway - swear like a mental case at volume, and you will likely be deemed antisocial for a sports gathering - football, golf, snooker, hockey, tennis...whatever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here