Mourinho out of England Managers job

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7137282.stm

Mourinho out of England running

_44292181_brk_news_football_203x152.gif

Former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has ruled himself out of the running to become the next England coach.
After Steve McClaren was sacked by the Football Association, the FA held talks with Mourinho's agent Jorge Mendes. "After deep and serious thinking, I decided to exclude myself from being England manager," said Mourinho in a statement on his agent's website. "I'm sure the FA will hire a great manager, one able to place the team back where it belongs."

After Steve McClaren was sacked by the Football Association, the FA held talks with Mourinho's agent Jorge Mendes.
"After deep and serious thinking, I decided to exclude myself from being England manager," said Mourinho in a statement on his agent's website.
"I'm sure the FA will hire a great manager, one able to place the team back where it belongs," he added.
o.gif

In the statement Mourinho said he had held talks with both the FA's chief executive Brian Barwick and the organisation's director of football Trevor Brooking.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
he was never going to take it was he - just another excuse to be centre of attention for a little while

got to be capello - arrogant like mourinho, arguably better record and wont soak up the press attention

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
he was never going to take it was he - just another excuse to be centre of attention for a little while

got to be capello - arrogant like mourinho, arguably better record and wont soak up the press attention

Agreed, Mourhinho was never really interested in it.

Would like Capello too, he doesn't speak English at the moment does he? Or have I made that up?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Would like Capello too, he doesn't speak English at the moment does he? Or have I made that up?

he speaks a little english - although rumours are he will overcome this by appointing zola as part of his coaching team, which i think would be a fantastic move

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Have faith in Brian to get the right man, there's no rush.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Whoever gets the Job will not have a big comp.for two years, Mouriniho would dissolve with the lack of publicity and clamour.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Whoever gets the Job will not have a big comp.for two years, Mouriniho would dissolve with the lack of publicity and clamour.

exactly - hes out of a job and still managing to stir up controversy in the press

id take cappello over him, even if mourinho was still in the running

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Barwick and Brooking probably made the job sound really exciting and scared him off - god those 2 are not exactly energising are they. If the FA are serious about getting good coaches they need to come out of the dark ages and emloy some proper headhunters , not Captain Mainwaring and some dullard from Essex

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Good, Capello it is

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Last time Barwick wanted O'Neill but the committee voted for McLaren.
So Barwick actually LIED when he said Gingerflaps was always his first choice ?
Anyhoo, as usual Martin Samuel sums up the usual farce this is turning into pretty well:

If José Mourinho turns down the chance to manage England, was he just playing the country along all the time? We will never know.

We will never know what would have happened had Brian Barwick, the FA chief executive, not turned the selection procedure into another round of paralysis by analysis. Never know what would have resulted had he jumped on a flight to Portugal on the day he sacked Steve McClaren to sound out the most outstanding candidate for the job. We will never know whether Mourinho might have been swept off his feet, had Barwick not chosen instead to canvas opinions from Helsinki to Heidelberg, only to reach the stunning conclusion that Mourinho, as well as Fabio Capello, Marcello Lippi, Jürgen Klinsmann and Martin O’Neill, knows a bit about football.

Barwick is a lucky man because several outstanding candidates - indeed, some of the most successful managers in the European game - are unemployed, so whoever he appoints should have the right credentials. But if he misses out on Mourinho, whose track record, knowledge of English football and command of the language combine to put him above the rest, what will it say about the inertia that has gripped Soho Square since the initial rush to get rid of McClaren?

It is claimed that Barwick has been busy since that date. Busy doing nothing, as the song goes. The 12-man panel of advisers is little more than decoration, a way for the FA to be seen to be taking the process very seriously indeed, while spreading the responsibility if it all goes wrong.

This brains trust has not thrown up one name that a punter with a sense of ambition would not have provided, given ten seconds’ thinking time. Before their team’s match against Arsenal on Wednesday, if you had asked the Newcastle United fans who they would want to succeed Sam Allardyce, they would have told you: Mourinho, Capello, Lippi, Klinsmann or O’Neill.

Barwick’s dithering has given Mourinho enough opportunity to be in and out more times than your left leg at a hokey-cokey party and if the chase ends in disappointment we will still be none the wiser. The cynics will claim that Mourinho was always leading England on, that his true aim was to land a plum job in club football, and that he used the FA as a negotiating tool. On attracting the first hint of a smile from the owners of AC Milan, he dropped Barwick like a rebound boyfriend at the prom.

Yet who can say what would have developed had Barwick been decisive? The clamour to persuade Mourinho to manage England has been running for almost three weeks. That is plenty of time for a club suitor to get its act together, see what was about to happen and make its move. And, unlike Barwick, the Italians will not have wasted too many hours seeking the counsel of Graham Taylor. If Mourinho turns England down, put simply, Barwick blew it. He blew it because he did not find out on day one whether the best man for the job was interested, which should have been a greater priority than pumping Roy Hodgson for information.

Barwick fondly imagines himself to be rerunning the fable of the hare and the tortoise. Slow and steady wins the race, he thinks. If the prime candidate disappears over the horizon, however, never to be seen again, what can Barwick possibly believe that English football has won?

Couldn't agree more.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here