Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MOTD - How Thick is Dzeko?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Assuming he had written the message on his shirt before going on the pitch, how can it be heat of the moment? He obviously intended to take his shirt off if he scored to show the message.

Indeed. I'll admit that in the greater scheme of things players taking their shirts off to celebrate is not football's biggest problem, but if the 'take your shirt off and get booked' rule wasn't in effect God knows what sort of pre-meditated rubbish we'd see every time a goal is scored. At least this way you've got to really want to get your message over.

Now if the FA can do something about players trying to take each other's shirts off in the penalty area every time there's a corner or free kick ...

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Astounding that you can get a yellow for taking off your shirt, but rarely are players booked for swearing.

Absoluely not. The sight of a grown man's nipples (seen the world over on beaches and in swimming halls) is highly offensive but calling the ref an effing c$nt is clearly normal behavior.
:jester:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Indeed. I'll admit that in the greater scheme of things players taking their shirts off to celebrate is not football's biggest problem, but if the 'take your shirt off and get booked' rule wasn't in effect God knows what sort of pre-meditated rubbish we'd see every time a goal is scored. At least this way you've got to really want to get your message over.

There are two different laws here, one for removal of the shirt (or putting it over the head), and then FIFA's law regarding messages on playing equipment:

54.1 For all Matches, all forms of advertising for sponsors, Manufacturers (exceeding the extent of Manufacturer’s Identifi cation permitted under Chapter VI above) or any third parties, of political, religious or personal statements and/ or other announcements, are strictly prohibited on all Playing Equipment items used on, or brought into (permanently or temporarily), the Controlled Stadium Area.

This is why Dzeko was booked.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I think if I took my shirt of every time Brighton scored I would be ejected from the ground not a pretty sight :facepalm:

Wouldn't worry, it wouldn't happen that often.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'd love to see a player lift their top to reveal an "I love referees" T-shirt, and then subsequently get booked. That'd make a cracking picture.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
To be honest, rules are rules. The ref either had to book him or be censured for not booking him. Apparently, the shirt off booking thing is apparently because it is offensive in certain countries that watch the English game.

Either way, it's a) a silly rule and b) even more silly to allow yourself to get booked for it. Although Aguero whirling his shirt around his head after scoring the title winner at QPR was brilliant. As was the majestic Vicente when he scored for us.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sense of humour failure from the ref. He doesn't HAVE to book him. Just have a word and let it go, be a human being rather than a robot.

Yes he does, because if he's seen by the assessor not to book him, then he will be marked down for not enforcing the rules, and too much of that will result in him being removed from the League officials list.

Besides, it's hardly a sense of humour failure, as it's not exactly the epitome of originality or wit to remove your shirt when you score.

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
I understood the rule was there to protect the shirt sponsor- Samsung want their names on the replays and the most watched bits are when someone scores. It's all about money.

I don't score many on a Sunday morning but when I do I really don't feel compelled to remove my shirt. I've never seen anyone else do it either.

Has anyone ever worn two shirts- one over the other? It'd be interesting to see if the player is booked.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Yep, disgraceful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here