Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

most violence seen at goldstone

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Chelsea, inside outside everywhere
Oxford all through hove park horse charges dogs riot police(after 0-0 draw last game or last home game of season
Norwich- Fa cup qf they didn't like it up em

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Cant remember which year it was but it really kicked off outside after we played Pompey one year. Saw a motor cycle cop in crash helmet give pompey fan a Glasgow Kiss
the Goldstone police riot crew(sure we called them the daffodiles because of the yellow reflective crap they wore) turned up for games in full motor bike kit,usually in a transit,during one game they,when millwall were in the terrace under the west stand and trying to get at mullery,about 20 strong and up against about 500 millwall ,entered the ground in the northeast corner marched around the pitch and walked straight into the middle of the mob and started hauling out the cockerneeys.
sure it was the same night that during a mass punch up outside the car showroom by the petrol station one of them rode his bike straight through the fight smashing some millwall mug almost through a plate glass window.
once upon this time brighton plod( in a NF survey) were rated second hardest police in the country,behind liverpool but way ahead of manchester birmingham and glasgow.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I remember it kicked off against Birmingham late eighties (I think?) - it was pretty scary near Hove Station - we jumped on a bus and even though only a few got on, the bus driver cacked himself, closed the doors and drove off.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Cant remember which year it was but it really kicked off outside after we played Pompey one year. Saw a motor cycle cop in crash helmet give pompey fan a Glasgow Kiss

Not sure if its the same game 76/77 season Albions 4-0 win over pompey. Running battles with pompey in the North stand

vialli66

Jan 17, 2010
I think you will find it was Brighton who chased Cardiff in the end !!!:thumbsup:

thats right wookiee,about 20 off us took there mob on in hove park and it ended up in the road by there coaches and we done well,thats why they have hated us ever since

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
thats right wookiee,about 20 off us took there mob on in hove park and it ended up in the road by there coaches and we done well,thats why they have hated us ever since

Mail-1.jpg

Mail0001.jpg

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Cardiff City's Soul Crew everywhere after our last season at the Goldstone(96/97).

One twat slapped me right across the face after our 2-0 win, saying "Come on then! D'you want some you fuckin' poofs?" All we were doing was keeping our heads down,not looking for any trouble.

To this day Cardiff(also having serious aggro outside Ninian Park) are in the top five teams i hate with Crystal Palace, Millwall, Leeds and Plymouth.Wankers!

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
only violence i remember at the goldstone was half the north stand (????) EMPTYING as they ran accross the pitch when bellotti was spotted with his missus, then sitting on a wall outside the west stand as bricks were thrown through windows and doors were being kicked in. was only a youngster at the time, went with my dad.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I arrived at one o'clock for the Sours game in the late seventies and the running battles (people punching each other) had already started and lasted continuously for two hours until kick-off and broke out at least twice during the match.

The Chelsea was tame in comparison.

Millwall was more dangerous but the numbers of Millwall fans was not so great.

The first violence* I saw in any match occurred at home to Villa in 1971. This was not organised but the Villa fans being drunk and taking offence to excess celebrations of the Albion fans on the terraces and being thrown out the ground.

*Excluding the Bradford Park Avenue Hooligan Army. He was 6 foot four inches tall and almost as wide and built like a brick shithouse.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Southampton FA cup for near the ground, it was kicking of all over the place.

I remember that, one of the few times I have had to resort to biffo (in self-defence) at a football match. Bit embarrassed afterwards considering it was Saints (and they soundly beat us on the pitch as well).

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Arsenal, mid week, early eighties, was certainly a bit dodgy.
Some bloke stood on my head, I was pre teen and minding my own business stood in the NWest as he came climbing over the fence, and used me as a step down.

wasn,t that our first ever game in the old div 1 .........i was there in the north stand at the west end i remember that fucker climbing over the fence..........there was the west ham game where the old boy got crushed to death down the front of the north stand , west brom man city and spurs midweek game also spring to mind............:wink:

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Pompey in the League - Easter-ish in 1977 was quite atmospheric.....inside and out.

A pitched battle in Hove Park between Brighton and Charlton sometime earlier, say 83 or 74.

George Ley and Ron Harris on the pitch during the 73 F A Cup tie with Chelsea.....

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I remember going to see Albion v Spurs at home in early eighties, not sure which year. Was in west chicken run and a Spurs fan grabbed an Albion fan round the neck and pulled a knife on him. I was only about nine or so at the time, really shocked me.

scarby

Feb 16, 2004
wellingborough
i remember the west ham game it seem like loads invaded the north stand, people jumping in to the no mans land between us and the away fans. then on realizing that there was only abouty a dozen of them and jumping back over to give them a good shoeing...
and then on the way out a bloke with the wiered trousers on ( looked like japeneese rising sun ) just standing there looking completely barking, waitng for a fight. seem to remember everyone jsut looking the other way and walking round him:lol:

Cardiff City's Soul Crew everywhere after our last season at the Goldstone(96/97).

One twat slapped me right across the face after our 2-0 win, saying "Come on then! D'you want some you fuckin' poofs?" All we were doing was keeping our heads down,not looking for any trouble.

To this day Cardiff(also having serious aggro outside Ninian Park) are in the top five teams i hate with Crystal Palace, Millwall, Leeds and Plymouth.Wankers!

That match at the Goldstone alone put Cardiff well and truly top of the complete wankers list for me, even above Cr***a* P*****. I never thought i'd be cheering for Pompey in a cup final!

Worst i've seen INSIDE the Goldstone was Chelsea 83 and Spurs 78. I think it's safe to say nothing ever came close. Someone mentioned Arsenal midweek 79, It was a league cup game, there were Arsenal boneheads all over the North Stand, to add insult to injury it pissed down all night

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
The Millwall game everyone was talking about was in 1978 (i can tell you the exact date but the programme is at work). The Millwall lot were, for some strange reason, given the area in the south west terrace (south side of the tunnel).

I remember MW going 2-0 up and BHA coming back to win 3-2 and their lot went absolutely mental.

Cas Pennant makes reference to having a pretty hard time from BHA fans in one of his books. I think the WHU fans kipped on the beech and set light to one of the boats to keep warm. Circa 1982 i think...i was there and BHA won 3-1.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Knives

I remember going to see Albion v Spurs at home in early eighties, not sure which year. Was in west chicken run and a Spurs fan grabbed an Albion fan round the neck and pulled a knife on him. I was only about nine or so at the time, really shocked me.

The only time I had a knife pulled on me was at Palace. It was a pickpocketing attempt. I got shoved, and when I sussed the enforcer pulled a blade on me.

Ironically, it is the only ground I have seen a notice "Beware of Pickpockets".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here