Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most Underrated band of all time

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Richie Morris said:
Secret Affair were great. The Chords and Purple Hearts were pretty good to as were the lambrettas.

'Time for Action' is a classic tune.

the lambrettas were ok, nothing more. secret affair were most definitely not great richie, i saw them about 6 times and they were overhyped because of the look, not the music. agree though that time for action was a good single

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I never saw them because I was only a nipper. Missed their one off gig in London last year as well.

I can see the style over substance argument against them but I like them.

The Artwoods
The Koobas
The Eyes
Creation (not under-rated nowadays though)
Jason Crest
Idle Race
Leviathan (local lads, ex-Mike Stuart Span)
Magazine
Shriekback
Blue Aeroplanes
Scorpio Rising
The Family Cat
Auteurs
Porcupine Tree
Catherine Wheel
Rev. Horton Heat
Kent (Swedish, doncha know)

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The Chameleons, should have been Manchester's finest in the mid 80's but someone else took that crown with the media and they struggled to make an impact apart from in their home town, where they are still Gods.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
El Presidente said:
The Chameleons, should have been Manchester's finest in the mid 80's but someone else took that crown with the media and they struggled to make an impact apart from in their home town, where they are still Gods.

I think you'll find that if they are gods in Mancland, its to a much lesser extent than New Order, Oasis, the Smiths, etc etc etc...

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
MattBackHome said:
Aah yes, the mighty Sunburst.

Incidentally GNLF, "The First Cut" still gets an occasional airing at the Hove Park Cafe and is widely reckoned to have stood the test of time. One old woman described it as 'quite incredible'. Rumours that the band are to reform for a one-off spectacular are unfounded, as Bent Skid is apparently getting married and emigrating to South Africa. Seriously.

He's getting married?! But what about all those 'i'm gay' rumours? It's almost as if he wanted to seem like a controversial and troubled genius...

I believe that sunburst were both the pinnacle and death of 'britpop'. The four track album that introduced them to a stunned music world reached more people and greater heights than any other of its contemporaries...including morning glory. This led to noelly g trying to out do it, which resulted in the somewhat bloated and pompous 'be here now'. As we all know, Oasis have never been the same band since '97.
But the sheer scope and beauty and some would say despair found within its four blistering songs spurred Radiohead on to make 'O.K Computer'. For proof you need look no further than 'Herman's' pestering of his beautiful victim as the precursor to 'climbing up the walls' story of stalkerish devilry.

And that, in the words of our more esteemed NSC colleagues, is...

FACT.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The Go-Betweens.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Super Furry Animals are very underrated. One of the best bands of the last ten years but with very little recognition.

Good call on Sparklehorse whoever mentioned it in the earleir posts. I remember seeing them at Reading one year and they were awesome.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
MYOB said:
I think you'll find that if they are gods in Mancland, its to a much lesser extent than New Order, Oasis, the Smiths, etc etc etc...

Living in Mancland I have to disagree

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Stoke said:
Stackridge.

Bit of a cult band in the 70's but brilliant none the less.

I only had vinyl and my missus made me give the turntable and all of my albums away some time ago so I have not heard Stackridge for years. Apparently having my albums neatly lined up either side of the fireplace was too 70's for her tastes in the 90's.

No-ones more important than.........

Purple Spaceships over Yaddon:clap2:

Think I still have 2 of their albums...and still have a turntable too. Me Smart!:jester:

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
haha... sunburst does take you back to drunken evenings in the lift.

simple is still one of the best songs ever. FACT.

and how the f*** are the clash underated!!!

onlyaboho

Oct 4, 2004
The Charlatans.
Best band ever by miles.

...and TOP lyrics.

"Life's a bag of Revells, and i'm looking for the orange ones"

"Be my spiderwoman, i'll be your spiderman"

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
El Presidente said:

Agree. They should have been massive not just in Manchester but in the Uk and beyond. One of the best bands ever in my opinion and still going aren't they El Presidente?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Well, I doubt that many here have heard of them but what about Little Feat ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here