Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most skilful Albion player

Lurker

62 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Omg - are you SURE you are on the right club's board mate? You certainly cannot be referring to Wardy - the very slight curly kid who wriggled and slalomed through defences and could win a game without getting the ball more than once in it.

Ward. He'd leave TOP defenders sitting in the dust ready to give up their careers. The guy was lightning, greased pig, twinkle toes and epitome of the word 'Magic'. If a genie came out of a magic lamp and you asked for football talent on a George Best kind of scale, you would be turned into Peter Ward.

After that, I thought Eric Potts had some fancy footwork, and Gordon Smith could bamboozle nicely.
Then there's the less than popular choice, Leon Knight.

To be fair to Grandad, my interpretation of his post was that he was referring to Alex Dawson & Willie Irvine as blood and thunder types, because you are absolutely right NMH .... the correct answer is Peter Ward.
Incomparable.

The most skillful player we've ever had, the most exciting player we've ever had ... but unfortunately for them, probably around 80% of the posters never got to see him play, so how can they nominate him?

Legend. :bowdown:

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
For me it has to be Mark Lawrenson. He played for the club in the top division and excelled both in defence and midfield. He was so reliable that one could leave one on one at the back if he was that defender. Perhaps one of his finest performances whilst with the club was for Eire when they played England (Keegan and all) at wembley and his class shone through like a beacon.

To be fair to Grandad, my interpretation of his post was that he was referring to Alex Dawson & Willie Irvine as blood and thunder types, because you are absolutely right NMH .... the correct answer is Peter Ward.
Incomparable.

The most skillful player we've ever had, the most exciting player we've ever had ... but unfortunately for them, probably around 80% of the posters never got to see him play, so how can they nominate him?

Legend. :bowdown:

Having seen all three play throughout their time at the Albion, it is (imo) an oversimplification to categorise Dawson and Irvine as blood and thunder types. Whilst Dawson was indeed a fearsome physical presence, both showed a delicate touch and general subtlety in their play that many Albion forwards since and Ricky Lambert, if you want an equivalent(ish) modern day player, have not.

It was amusing to witness Fred Binney.
A roly-poly out-of-shape lardarse was how he looked, but when defenders saw him collect the ball and strolled over with a "I'll just take that football thanks very much chap" sort of attitude, suddenly he rolled the ball back like Cruyff and was plopping it past an anguished keeper to much cheers of pleasure from the Goldstone stands. Sublime stuff to watch, it really was - and the beginning of the SEAGULLS surge to more prominence.

Those players don't seem like they'd be the heroic squad of legends, but they were really great to watch. Sully remained, add a little local 'Tiger Tony' and a stolid bunch of stripes became the backbone for the best football ever seen at The Goldstone Ground.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Peter Ward.

Now I know everyone's entitled to their own opinions but anyone who's mentioned Jeff Minton either hasn't been to many Brighton games (either before or since) or has no sense of perspective. Jeff Minton was a shit footballer. When he tried to play in the second tier (what is now the Championship) with Port Vale he sunk without trace. Why? Because he was a shit footballer. Then he tried to revive his career with Orient but he couldn't even make the grade there. Why? Because he was a shit footballer. When he played for Brighton he was a shit footballer, but he looked good because he was surrounded by REALLY shit footballers.

He was my favourite player of the Gillingham era, but 'most skilful Albion player'? He's not even in the top 98%

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
In answer to the original question, Peter Ward. No one who saw him play could argue, he really was magic!

(The all round best player I saw at the club, however, was Mark Lawrenson, sheer class!)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Firstly, these threads are ok because you see how opinions differ however it would be better if those posting actually gave an indication of how long they have been watching the Albion. Those that have only seen the last 10 years are obviously going to go for the likes of Zamora as they never saw Ward play. However, if someone has been watching for 50 years and still puts the likes of Brooker above Ward then that old credibility issues arise.

For me, watching since 76, Ward is by far and away the most exciting and talented player we have had. Older fans might go for Johnny McNichol who was apparently exceptional and left us to go and win a League Title with Chelsea (now there's a good quiz question, how many players have left Brighton to go on and win the league title, ie the top flite, not any league).

As for the current crop, I would put Bennett head and shoulders above Lua Lua and Noone.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
John Crumplin
+1

Far too many people taking this thread seriously.

Apart from the football genius though
he shot, he scored, it must be...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He was my favourite player of the Gillingham era, but 'most skilful Albion player'? He's not even in the top 98%

Not OGH or Rod Thomas? I liked Minton but he had a shit attitude, Harty and Thomas actually gave the drive to Gillingham a glimmer of hope that we might see some half decent football and were the main reasons that I continued to go.

As to the thread title, Wardy by a country mile for me. Still the only player who had the ability to have whole stadium on their feet, with bated breath, as he bore down on goal leaving good defenders on their arses having failed to tackle him, followed by a sublime shot that gave the keeper no chance. We'll be paying millions before we see a player do that in an Albion shirt again imo.

Last edited:

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Cant believe I got to page three and still no one has mentioned the correct answer, everybody knows that the most skillfull player in Albion history is Denny Mundee. That Mundee Shuffle is "Unbelievable Tekkers"

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
I too saw Dawson and Irvine play for the Albion, but it must be said they were at the end of their careers and were still great players. But Peter Ward was at the height of his career and when he got the ball the whole ground rose. Lawenson and Robertson went on to win many honours but for skill on the ball there was on only one.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Gotsmanov by a country mile.

He had just played in the European Championship Final for the sviet Union, and then turned up in Lada playing for us!

Just watch some of the goals on youtube . one whenere he celebrates beforescoring v Hull City

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Third and there are lots to choose from: Alex Dawson, Willie Irvine, etc. In the past the slower speed made for more ball skills.

Thats what I meant to do but didnt delete the bit about Wardy and BZ. We had a very skilful player at The Goldstone but regretably for a very short time Barry Rees

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Sergie gotsmanov or Frank worthington

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here