Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most shocking events in your lifetime?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Several for me:

The Harrods, Hyde Park and Brighton bombings.

Bradford fire & the Hillsborough disaster.

Lockerbie

9/11 and 7/7 terrorist attacks

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Most of those that Bry mentions, plus a few more, but most of all it is 9/11. I can remember almost every detail of what I did on that day, the people I was with as the events unfolded and what I did afterwards, which is bizarre as it is now over ten years ago and I can barely remember exactly what I did on any day from last week.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
For me it was Dunblane. I still can't read about it without wanting to blub.

Yes, I remember that day.
I didn't have children at the time, but people I worked with who had kids where in bits.
The thought of it now, now I have a toddling daughter and a 5 month old son, makes my blood run cold. Horrific.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
9/11

I couldn't believe what I was watching and for about an hour I wondered if it was about to happen here.

Seagulls4life

Jul 30, 2010
Brighton
9/11 for me. I was in a bar in a hotel in Spain having breakfast and then everyone fell silent as the news on tv was turned up. Awful viewing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
James Bulger.

The big world stories - 9/11, Chernobyl, etc were obviously huge, but this is the one that truly SHOCKED me personally. Just couldn't, and still can't, comprehend the mindset of two young kids capable of what those boys did.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
For me it was my first ever trip to watch a Scotland international. Scotland v Wales at Ninian Park. Saturday 22 October 1966. My dad had taken me all the way down from Scotland as a treat, and we'd visited some relatives in Middlesex en route. While we were at our relatives, day before the game, the TV filled with black and white images from Aberfan where a a colliery spoil tip had engulfed a school, killing 116 children and 28 adults. Being just a wee boy, though I knew something very bad had happened, I never quite took it all in, never quite understood the enormity of the thing, but I do remember a lot of big men crying at the game and I remember myself and another wee boy being lifted gently over the heads of the crowd and over the wall at the front and put gently down to sit by the touchline with a policeman watching over us for the whole game. Still makes me cry thinking about it even now.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
bradford fire for me , the video footage of it is simply horrific, the guy who calmly walks out of the stand completely ablaze just sends a chill up my spine

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
For me it was my first ever trip to watch a Scotland international. Scotland v Wales at Ninian Park. Saturday 22 October 1966. My dad had taken me all the way down from Scotland as a treat, and we'd visited some relatives in Middlesex en route. While we were at our relatives, day before the game, the TV filled with black and white images from Aberfan where a a colliery spoil tip had engulfed a school, killing 116 children and 28 adults. Being just a wee boy, though I knew something very bad had happened, I never quite took it all in, never quite understood the enormity of the thing, but I do remember a lot of big men crying at the game and I remember myself and another wee boy being lifted gently over the heads of the crowd and over the wall at the front and put gently down to sit by the touchline with a policeman watching over us for the whole game. Still makes me cry thinking about it even now.

Yes, I was going to mention the Aberfan disaster. I was almost 14 at the time, but the horror of this struck me enormously at the time, and since.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I have little connection to the world before 2005, sadly. I don't remember much, but whatever flashes there are of it, they seem without a doubt somebody else's. Since 2005 there have been large happenings, but the one that stuck in my mind the most was of Josef Fritzl and his rascally, Batman-villain face and the jailing of his family beneath the Earth's surface for so many horrendous years. It's the smalltown or suburban crimes that are oft most horrific and ne'er seen whilst happening. I thought of the makings of a life for so long below and what splinter of hope for survival might keep them going through the years and how thankful i am at only getting wound up and angered by such comparatively pointless pains and irritations.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
So many.

9/11 must have been the most terrifying, especially being on the doomed hijacked planes that hit the towers and Pentagon. Beyond words really.

Watching the pictures at Hillsborough of those poor fans being crushed to death on those terraces was harrowing too as an 11 year-old. I'm still quite angry about that because no one has ever taken responsibility for the mistakes made.

Also remember the Zebrugge ferry disaster in March 1987 that capsized and the people that drowned or died of hypothermia in freezing water that had been a cold winter at night. That Townsend Thoresen ferry on its side is a difficult image to forget.

The Auctioneer

Jun 24, 2011
Personally, finding a whole arm in the grass after being first on scene at a car wreck. Ring and watch in situ. 9/11 and death of Princess Di.

The Auctioneer

Jun 24, 2011
Oh yes, losing my ice cream to a seagull at 4 years of age......truly shocking. Why I still support them I never will know.

D

Deleted member 18477

-Princess Diana's death.

-9/11 attacks

-Palace vs Brighton 5-0

-7/7 bombings

-England vs Germany 1-4 world cup 2010

-London riots

-Brighton vs Palace 1-3

shit shit days!

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
It has to be 9/11 I think. I know it is a cliché but things did seem to change after that moment.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Personally, finding a whole arm in the grass after being first on scene at a car wreck. Ring and watch in situ.

That is gruesome. :eek:

Seeing a ghost by a notorious suicide railway bridge very late at night, travelling in a car gave me awful nightmares for a while. It was an illuminated figure of an old lady in the middle of the road staring at me looking unhappy and petrified. I've never gone that way again after dark.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I've seen a girl drown and die right in front of me.

A man with mental health problems die in my next door neighbours car.

My best friend die after 4 years of cancer.

LIFE IS A LOL, ISN'T IT?!!!?!

If I wasn't a mental, I'd be a mental.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here