Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most SATSIFYING performances

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
1-0 against Oldham this season probably the most satisfying.

A good game, a great battle resembling those from the Adams era, and a superb goal evoking memories of Mr Zamora.

Obviously more satisfying in the past was the DEMOLITION of Wolves which proved we were more than good enough to compete in this league, the 2-1 win at Reading the same season, as well as seeing Paul Watson keep Huckerby at bay in a 1-0 win over Forest. The 4-0 Watford game mentioned was good, but only because Palace beat Stoke, causing the South Stand to erupt!

Beating Bradford 3-2 last season was pretty satisfying too - a great game after weeks of crap really.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
3-2 vs Millwall at the Goldstone in the surgical mask game. 0-2 down at h/t, as the players ran down the tunnel, a furious Mullery stopped them and sent them back onto the pitch where they had to mill around for 10-15 mins with a grumbling crowd around them.

We then scored early in the 2nd half and then tore them apart scoring 2 further goals. Best comeback I can remember from the Albion and certainly the most satisfying end result given how dire we'd been in the 1st half. Really enjoyed that afternoon as in 90 mins I went through most of the emotions that football brings.

There have been a couple of games since where I've thought it might be good to keep the players on the pitch to face a disgruntled crowd during h/t but no manager has done it since as far as I'm aware and neither have we made a comeback like that, that I can remember anyway.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
There have been more ups than downs. I could say the 7-0 drubbing of Walsall when it was 0-0 at half time but actually it's the close wins in injury time that give me the biggest buzz, 1-0 against Stoke when Paul Watson scored after 4 minutes of injury time springs to mind. Eric Potts get 2 in injury time to beat Sunderland 2-1 is another. The sheer rush of those finishes are still with me now.

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
Obviously all results against Palace, the promotion years and the '83 F.A. cup run. Apart from those, surely the 5-0 demolition of Hartlepool at Fans United One must be up there with the best. Apart from the result, the atmosphere with fans from all over was almost surreal.

Magnificent scenes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The away victory against Burnley under Martin Hinshelwood. First game of the season ... it was OBVIOUS this newly promoted team would flourish.

:thud:

Three in a row was looking good after that game :)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Fairly obscure one to start... 4-0 at home to Watford in 2003.

That is one of my all time favourite games. We absolutely destroyed them and I really thought we could pull off a great escape at the time.

I remember news filtering through that Palace had scored against Stoke and the whole stadium erupting. Someone in front of me asked what had happened. :dunce: Alas, it was not to be.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
From last season, 2 games....

Beating Millwall 3-0 on the Friday night was probably the best atmopshere at Withdean for a whole game that has ever happened. The crowd were buzzing before kick off and it rubbed off on the players, and we turned on the style.
Loved it, and made me like going to home games again, instead of looking at it like a household chore.

Also beating Cheltenham at home, at half time fans were booing and calling for Wilkins to resign, we then turned it around and won the game and went on an amazing run.

Before that beating Wolves 4-1 at home with Gary Hart running riot

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
The satisfying performances spring more readily to mind than the dull ones and even the bad ones, thankfully.

For me, the best and most satisfying performance I have ever seen from an Albion team was the 2-0 defeat of West Brom in the League Cup in '76. We absolutely played them off the park.

Others: any of the victories at Selhurst, but probably the 3-0 in '81 and the 1-0 win in '05.

The two FA Cup ties at Liverpool in '83 and '91.

Chesterfield at home to clinch the 3rd Div Championship in '01 and the 3-1 defeat of Reading the following season, a great game and the more satisfying for the way in which we gradually wore them down and absolutely bossed the last 30 minutes.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Mine are obscure but 3-0 against Burnley on Boxing Day at the Goldstone in.... umm not sure, might be 92 or 93, can't remember. I just remember Kurt Nogan and John Crumplin scoring two cracking goals in front of the North Stand.

Oddly enough, two 0-0 draws spring to mind too, at Portsmouth a few months after losing the play off final in 91, and Coventry when we were relegated in 2003. Both times we played them off the park.

Wycombe away in the League Cup under Liam Brady. We won 3-1, but should have won 10-1 it was so one-sided.

And finally, Northampton at home on Friday night in 88 the year we bounced straight back to Div 2.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here