Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most memorable: Sheff Wed 1977

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Probably the one game that is still the most memorable for me.

Circa 5th May 1977.....32,000 packed into the Goldstone for an evening KO. The atmosphere was easily the best i've ever witnessed in 35 years of going to watch football....loads of flags, scarves and banners but BHA won 3-2.

Can't remember much about the match....i seem to remember Wardy scoring, there might of been a couple of penalties....one missed, one scored, maybe Nobby scored too but it sealed the promotion for BHA after a superb season.

Post your memories here :)

D

Deleted User X18H

I remember my old man went with out me I was just 8 at the time I sat at the top of the stairs wimpering as we'd won and I'd missed it. I know this was the game because I have the programme and the old man wrote on the back page 'won going up Tim cried as I didn't take him.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I was 12 at the time and sat in the south stand with a friend of my Dad. The main thing that I remember is the massive pitch invasion at the end that then had to be sent back because the ref had only blown for a free kick.

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
I remember Eric Potts giving us the run around in the first half. Straight after half-time Steve Piper had a momentary lapse of vision because instead of kicking the ball Pipes caught Potts just below his testicles with studs showing. Mind you he had to leap a metre to catch him. Then as Pipes was going through the motions of being booked Nobby Horton lent over and gave a few words of encouragement to Eric as the poor man was being treated by the physio. For some reason Potts didn't show again in the match and was unusually quiet.

One of the Albion players was unable to play because of an injury, but that didn't stop some of the team throwing him fully clothed in to the bath. After the game I was him and another as we drove to the player's house to get a change of clothing before going on to join the others in celebration. We passed many an Albion fan sporting blue and white on the way. Each and every one had to have the window turned down and they were greeted with three loudly shouted calls of, "You beauty!"

Incidentally in the close season Alan Mullery signed Eric Potts for the Albion. Nobby and Pipes were dreading meeting him because of their actions during the Wednesday game. As Greavsie said, "It's a funny old game." because the three of them became firm friends.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Albion were a bag of nerves and Weds scored early. It was fairly late in the 2nd half before we scored then relaxed into normal mode.

Weds's 2nd was a late consolation and some fans were already on the pitch.

I partied on in Sherrys later and people were still partying on the weay home, cars hooting, people oin the fountains etc.

Marvellous scenes!

Yeah, Wednesday didn't have anything particular to play for, and we needed a win. Wardy missed a sitter from about 5 yards, in the North goal. Wednesday were very good, and ran us very close. My mate and I, in the N Stand, were saying how the division really needed us there, for the large support and gates we meant for them all at that time.

I used to love night games, for exactly that kind of atmosphere - and football.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I remember Dick Adland, drummer of the Piranhas run the whole length of the pitch from North to South Stand about 5 mins before final whistle, evading a diving copper in the South Stand goal & getting a loud cheer from all of us in the North Stand.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I can't remember a lot about the game as a 10 year old stood on the East terrace.

Does anyone remember how the game went in terms of scorers. Did Wardy mis/retake a penalty ?

NOBODY's DUPE.....i presume you played in the game ? i hold a lot of cherished memories of the Goldstone between 76 and 79.....are you going to spill the beans on your ID (pm me if you like). I still see Andy Rollings on a daily basis.

Fatty Arbuckle

Jul 24, 2007
I can't remember a lot about the game as a 10 year old stood on the East terrace.

Does anyone remember how the game went in terms of scorers. Did Wardy mis/retake a penalty ?

NOBODY's DUPE.....i presume you played in the game ? i hold a lot of cherished memories of the Goldstone between 76 and 79.....are you going to spill the beans on your ID (pm me if you like). I still see Andy Rollings on a daily basis.

I think Wardy missed a penalty then soon afterwards scored the equaliser. We were then awarded a second penalty which Horton took and scored. Then Piper got the third.

Do know what? I can remember such things but can never remember where I left my car keys five minutes before!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here