Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most memorable - ORIENT (h)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
1-0 to us at Brisbane Road in December 1977 - stonking goal from Paul Clark.
The fireman's strike was on at the time and while we were having a drink in the Bolney Grange on the way home a fire broke out in the restaurant kitchen. We evacuated to the car park but the fire spread to the roof before the army were able to get there. From memory, the place was pretty much gutted and was rebuilt. Unexpected end to a great day out.

We had a 2-2 or 3-3 there a year or so later when big Martin Chivers scored for us. I remember chatting to a copper when all hell broke loose in one of the stands and i said ''hadn`t he better get down there and help his mates sort it out. He told me he didn`t like to get involved in all that malarkey and continued to eat his meat pie at the top of the stand.

MtFloridaGull

Jan 29, 2008
Over 10 years ago but still quite fresh in the mind
The "fan" was running towards the ref and I don't think he was going to ask for a date. Wilkins stepped in front of the ref and raised his leg to ward off the oncoming fan who then grabbed Wilkins leg and pulled him over onto his arse just as he was tackled to the ground by a steward and a policeman. To be honest I think they were a bit ruff with the guy:angel: No one was hurt except probably Wilkins pride took a bit of a battering as he ended up looking like a prat trying to take the guy on. Not sure what the fan would have done had he got a clear go at the ref but in a way Wilkins probably saved us as I can imagine that the FA would have thrown the book at us if he had of lamped the ref one.

Good days Good memories!

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
We had a 2-2 or 3-3 there a year or so later when big Martin Chivers scored for us. I remember chatting to a copper when all hell broke loose in one of the stands and i said ''hadn`t he better get down there and help his mates sort it out. He told me he didn`t like to get involved in all that malarkey and continued to eat his meat pie at the top of the stand.

That 3-3 game was a cracker. Met Teddy Maybank and Mark Lawrenson outside the ground, I think both were injured and got them to autograph my programme. For some reason i've got two signed copies from that game, first and only time I've ever bothered with autographs!

It was definately one of the most exiting games I've watched.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
That is the most memorable match against any opposition. Or more strictly half a match - as I recall the first half was a gentle stroll and I was quite relaxed at half-time with no clue what was about to occur in the second half.

I was in the North Stand and the atmosphere was explosive and it was surely an example of restraint that so few got on the pitch!

bigkev2007

Banned
Jan 30, 2008
That is the most memorable match against any opposition. Or more strictly half a match - as I recall the first half was a gentle stroll and I was quite relaxed at half-time with no clue what was about to occur in the second half.

I was in the North Stand and the atmosphere was explosive and it was surely an example of restraint that so few got on the pitch!

agree totally is defiantly my most memorable game ever! should have done a dvd on that game i would defo buy it!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Personally memorable has to be the 4-4. Was about a day and a half out of hospital after a life-threatening chest infection, bit shaky on me legs, then it all starts kicking off in the North Stand about five foot in front of me (about four steps from the front, halfway between the goal and the left hand corner flag).Not the best I've ever felt, has to be said. Cracking game, mind.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The 3-3 at Brisbane was in our promotion season 1979 and one of my first away games. I went on the Seagull Special charter train which took hours to wind round London to Leyton Midland Road. Remember Chivers scoring with a great header and Ralph Coates (of the Bobby Charlton style combover) playing for the O's.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
We were only ten at the time. I think it was Paul Mcdonald who scored the penalty. I must asked my mother, when she comes in from lunch through.

it was kev - i remember as he celebrated right infront of us. ah, the good old days, like rose ticehurst breaking her seat :lolol:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It wasnt Mcgleish IT WAS Carl Griffiths with the gestures after he scored.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
1-0 to us at Brisbane Road in December 1977 - stonking goal from Paul Clark.
The fireman's strike was on at the time and while we were having a drink in the Bolney Grange on the way home a fire broke out in the restaurant kitchen. We evacuated to the car park but the fire spread to the roof before the army were able to get there. From memory, the place was pretty much gutted and was rebuilt. Unexpected end to a great day out.

I remember that game, it was my birthday. Orient were at the time thinking about promotion, that result set them straight. Clark's goal was one of the finest I have ever seen from a BHA player.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
it was griffiths 100% anyone remember jason peake had a goal disalowed it was a rocket

EVERY peake goal was a rocket - well, i say every, the only other one he got against northampton was pretty special

he was a very talented player, shame he didnt show it at all for us and was on so much money

Albion Edd

Brighton til die
Jul 5, 2003
Patcham
I was only about 9 at the time, but can still remember it being an amazing game. I remember one of the pitch invaders being put back into the North west stand by the stewards and getting a good kicking right by where I was.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
it was griffiths 100% anyone remember jason peake had a goal disalowed it was a rocket

THANK YOU!!!

Thats why I dont understand the McGleish vitriol!!

Probably because he (Griffiths) has dropped into obscurity but McGleish is still going...

Mar 10, 2006
Surely an obvious choice, can anyone who was there forget the drama of the 4-4 Goldstone match?

From being 12 points adrift at the turn of the year, Albion, with the fans behind them in the fight against the evil trio, were showing signs of life. Home wins were now the norm against ever growing protests and a volatile atmosphere.

Into this came Orient. A team that had been a thorn in our side & had taken the role of our main rivals.

The game was a cracker. 2-0 up at half time we then went 3-2 down in a hectic spell. Orient were scoring into the north goal and over indulging in the celebrations infront of the hostile northstanders. This is where so much hatred of McGleish comes from.

With a near riot on the cards the 'Butcher of London Road' got onto the pitch and headed for the Orient players Utter mayhem and Dean's brother, Ray, then playing for Orient was attacked before the police piled in.

What an atmosphere and the game wasn't over. I'm not sure if we went 2-4 down or came back to 3-3 before going behind again but it was a late, late goal to tie it up at 4-4, the highest scoring draw I'd ever seen.

OK, so there were some unsavoury moments but for action & drama, this was football at it's best.

I suppose we have to be greatfull for orient. On the 2nd to last match of the season, whilst we were beating Doncaster, Orient beat Hereford & we were off the bottom of the table for the 1st time in months with just the hereford game to play. many expected orient to roll over against hereford, they had nothing to play for, so well done to the O's, you're not all bad!

:albion2:

Absolutley brilliant day- seems like yesterday. We were on a roll at home and the passion from the fans in those days was fantastic as we fought the board and got right behind the team during that fantastic home run of results. They were bad times for the club that we've never fully recovered from but there were some great days out around that time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here